119 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 41 of 119
30 August 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
So I'm back from Finland now, with loads of impressions and materials for watching and reading :)

@Sprachprofi, thanks a lot once again :) yeah I know the prepositions list at lernu (I use the Finnish version of the site though), and according to it de has a few meanings, one of them illustrated by the example Mi ridas de ĝojo without any other explanations :/
I think I'll do something like the nice pictures at lernu for the prepositions :) it's fun and I'll probably learn a lot already while drawing the pictures :D

Not sure if I should open a separate thread for that, but I need advise from those who have had to study a language from scratch although they already had some knowledge of it. I studied Latin at school for three years and I'll have Latin classes at university, and I'm afraid that it will seem too easy and boring at first, and I may skip the hometasks or do them carelessly, eventually doing worse than those who hadn't (or should it be haven't because the classes haven't started yet?) studied Latin before the classes:/ any tips?
1 person has voted this message useful

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6233 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 42 of 119
30 August 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Not sure if I should open a separate thread for that, but I need advise from those who have had to study a language from scratch although they already had some knowledge of it. I studied Latin at school for three years and I'll have Latin classes at university, and I'm afraid that it will seem too easy and boring at first, and I may skip the hometasks or do them carelessly, eventually doing worse than those who hadn't (or should it be haven't because the classes haven't started yet?) studied Latin before the classes:/ any tips?

I'm doing Assimil French from the beginning, even though I had studied it for three years a while back. I find it helps to consolidate the basics really well, and might fill in some gaps for you.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6259 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 43 of 119
30 August 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Isn't it possible to skip the initial half year of classes or so, since you already know basic Latin? Either as an official solution with your university or even an informal arrangement with the Latin teacher...

The danger of becoming too bored and missing out on vital explanations is very big, especially since universities tend to teach languages at a rapid pace and they'll most likely also use a different order of introducing things than your high school book, meaning e. g. while you're bored learning about the O-Declension they might also sneak in the U-Declension, which you might not know yet. Do not let your mind wander during the lessons. In order to make sure you understand everything, you could do one the following:
- go through the words of the lesson text seeing if it's 100% clear what words mean, what case / form they are and why that is;
- look at a grammar headline while obscuring the rest and recall everything that you know about this part of grammar
- readily volunteer to help your classmates understand anything they didn't understand yet. Become THE person to ask. Explaining things to them will help you make sure that you have a full understanding yourself, and it will actually further improve your understanding.

If you manage to skip the first half year or so, still translate all the materials and do something for your Latin every day, e. g. you could be reading easy Latin (see section 2, especially 2c at http://www.learnlangs.com/latin/books.htm for recommendations).

Edited by Sprachprofi on 30 August 2007 at 2:01pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 119
16 September 2007 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
Thank you both for the tips.
The Latin teacher is very strict, so I guess by the end of the classes I'll have to be fluent, whether I want to or not :) We never had to learn any Latin vocabulary at school, so already the first lesson contained a few words I didn't know and some that I wasn't sure about. So I've decided to add all the words to Mnemosyne, and I add the same words in Esperanto as well since they're so similar. When I start learning Portuguese I'll probably add the Portuguese ones there too, and some time later also Italian and Spanish. Quite extensive plans.
Unfortunately, my learning of Belarusian hasn´t been too active recently, but I'll hopefully find a few hours for it today.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 45 of 119
22 September 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
I hurt my leg yesterday so I have some more free time now...
Tried the basic exam at lernu.net just out of curiosity. Scored 44. Surprisingly, all my mistakes were in the grammar section - although the reason of almost all of them is lack of vocabulary. I understand all my mistakes except this one:
# Ni ĉiam kantas je ĝojo.
Nekorekte      (Devus esti "sen/pri/kun/de")

f***ing prepositions again... *sighs*

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 46 of 119
24 September 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Yay, saw my first Esperanto-related dream today! I was at a meeting of Esperantists... but I was late as usual ;D and when I arrived all the official stuff was over and people were playing various games, including hide-and-seek. :D The instructions were given in Esperanto, but I think that was actually just some Esperanto words+some Esperanto-sounding nonsense:) Some of my friends also were there, but we spoke Russian :/

mankso
Pentaglot
Canada
esperanto.memlink.ca
Joined 6080 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto, Spanish, French
Studies: Irish

Message 47 of 119
24 September 2007 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
>I understand all my mistakes except this one:
# Ni ĉiam kantas je ĝojo.
Nekorekte      (Devus esti "sen/pri/kun/de")

Surely the first response of most speakers would be 'kanti pro ĝojo'? (Just take a look in PV, PIV, NPIV under 'ĝojo'!) I think a note to the test-maker(s) would be in order here to suggest a revision!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 48 of 119
25 September 2007 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
I don't remember, but I think pro wasn't in the list...
(what's PV, PIV, NPIV?)

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version