United States
Joined 6886 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 46
10 April 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
I could have sworn that I heard se rather than te, although I don't think that either are accurate.

P.S. In any case, I wish that I had as much "trouble" with my 5th language as he has!

I believe he said "Si un chico se habla..." then corrected himself and said, "Si un chico pregunta...". He didn't seem very comfortable with it, but I'm pretty sure it was because he was a) being watched by lots of people and on TV, and b) being asked to switch languages very quickly.
1 person has voted this message useful

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7117 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 10 of 46
10 April 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:
The way he translated "You are the only girl I care about" into mandarin was a bit strange. He said 你是我独一个亲爱的小姐. 小姐 doesn't really mean girl in mandarin. It is usually used as an adress to young women but it can nowadays also be used to mean prostitute. 女孩儿 is probably a better word to use. Furthermore 亲爱 doesn't mean "care about".It is closer to "dear" According to my wife the sentence should be said like 你是我唯一个在乎的女孩儿.

Thanks for the correct translation Maxb. When I heard 我独一个亲爱的, I didn't know if it was right or wrong, but I know I would have said it differently. If I had to translate it on the fly, I would have said the following (which may or may not be correct):

你是我唯一关心的女孩儿

To be fair, I actually thought about the sentence for a minute or so. Who knows what I would have come up with if I had to translate it instantly.

Anyway, I guess the translation of 你是我独一个亲爱的小姐 would be something like "You are my sole dear miss."

Languagelover1
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6231 days ago

63 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 46
22 April 2007 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
This was amazing! Very inspirational. I think this guy should write a book.

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6843 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 12 of 46
23 April 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I agree, the connotation at least according to my own 语感 of “你是我独一
亲爱的小姐”would translate as "You are my only lover/mistress (implying
you are perhaps already married or spoken for) that I love/care for
(implying that you have others.. you just dont like them as much.)

Interestingly, I wonder if this guy learned chinese in thailand which would
explain his liberal use of the word 小姐。

tujiko
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

140 posts - 144 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 46
24 April 2007 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
I liked the story he told in tape 3 on how he learned Danish (looking up Scandanavian-sounding names in the phone book, plotting the addresses on a map to get an idea of where they tended to live in the city, and going to the community, and asking to speak with people in the language). A very interesting guy.

Aritaurus
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6376 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, Japanese, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 46
29 June 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't think his Cantonese is that accurate. But then again, I never really heard enough to asess his ability as he only said " So pretty ". Still impressive in my eyes.

Edited by Aritaurus on 29 June 2007 at 4:38pm

Yvelle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6116 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Gypsy/Romani

Message 15 of 46
09 September 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
小姐 is used as 'miss' for greeting customers or politeness. At least in Taiwan anyway.

hamba
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6533 days ago

22 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Indonesian
Studies: Arabic (classical), Urdu

Message 16 of 46
10 September 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
Ladies and Gents take it from me Stuart is a genius! I had the good fortune of studying Indonesian with him years ago in Australia and he was really amazing even then. He already had a collection of languages back in 1994 and he was still relatively young. I'm amazed how he has gone on to greater heights especially in his grasp of SEA languages. If you check out his website you will see some amazing essays on such things as the use of Jawi (Malay in its original Arabic written form) and other presentations. I eventually became an Indonesian language teacher but feel quite humbled by Stuarts progress as a polyglot. So don't be too harsh in judging him. He was a nice guy to boot as well as far as I can remember.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version