SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6711 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 46
19 October 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
That's the first part of the first interview.

More here:
Part 2
Part 3

2nd interview:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
1 person has voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6452 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 34 of 46
19 October 2007 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Great find thanks!

Edited by apparition on 19 October 2007 at 3:29pm

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6118 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 35 of 46
20 October 2007 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Very interesting interview.

Would anyone be able to write out what he said in Indonesian on the original interviews? Just out of curiosity.

rsmarr001
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5844 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, Indonesian

Message 36 of 46
10 May 2008 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Fränzi wrote:
Very interesting interview.

Would anyone be able to write out what he said in Indonesian on the original interviews? Just out of curiosity.

hes says:
sebenarnya, artinya dia kamu satu-satunya yang percaya pada saya

it means:
actually, his meaning is that you are the only one that believes in me.

hope that helps
cheers

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6221 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 37 of 46
10 May 2008 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Well, I didn´t really watch out for mistakes etc., I just kept listening to the video, and even if he speaks all those languages with minor mistakes, it´s still impressive and inspiring, I especially like his enthusiasm. Another thing I really like, he was not a show-off and never declared himself to be able to speak all of them perfectly, in the Thai TV SHow he even marked his abilities from 1-5 in each skill, I think that was really correct. You know, sometimes I don´t know what to say about such celeb polyglots, some look frauds, some not, but I like his attitude.

By the way, I´d love to read about his studies, but on stujay.blogspot.com there is only one page with those Youtube videos and some newspaper articles, where are his entries, etc. Are there such at all?? Has he changed address?? Thanks!

Edited by Cisa on 10 May 2008 at 3:28pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6711 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 46
10 May 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
The entries can be found under the menu (which is located at the left, below the second Youtube clip, 23 posts in total).

tsneds
Cyprus
Joined 6755 days ago

23 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 39 of 46
09 June 2008 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Cisa wrote:
Well, I didn´t really watch out for mistakes etc., I just kept listening to the video, and even if he speaks all those languages with minor mistakes, it´s still impressive and inspiring, I especially like his enthusiasm. Another thing I really like, he was not a show-off and never declared himself to be able to speak all of them perfectly, in the Thai TV SHow he even marked his abilities from 1-5 in each skill, I think that was really correct. You know, sometimes I don´t know what to say about such celeb polyglots, some look frauds, some not, but I like his attitude.

By the way, I´d love to read about his studies, but on stujay.blogspot.com there is only one page with those Youtube videos and some newspaper articles, where are his entries, etc. Are there such at all?? Has he changed address?? Thanks!

He actually posted his habits on this blog:

http://languagegeek.wordpress.com/2007/03/31/stuart-jay-raj- speaker-15-or-so-languages/

Jay // April 1, 2007 at 9:07 am

Hey Josh,
How many days do I spend learning?

In my classes I talk about creating an environment that teaches you around the clock rather than thinking you have to put aside so many hours a day to learn a language.

It’s a bit easier for expats over here in Thailand to do it as the language that they’re learning (Thai) is spoken all around them. When I’m learning a language that isn’t spoken in my immediate environment, I create that environment as best I can around me.

Buy as many books as I can, internet radio (used to use Short Wave radio a lot more before the internet), MSN / Skype with people who speak the language I’m learning and then ohh yes.. the bathroom! Mine is a library! To give you an idea of what I’ve read so far since this morning -

woke up at 5:30 AM - read a few blogs and internet articles on Vedic Sanskrit and Pali

7:00′ish - reviewing my old sanskrit books - got frustrated ’cause the pages were all falling out

09:00 - tried to develop a system that would make it easy for Thais to learn the Sanskrit case system easily (teaching sanskrit to some yoga instructors here in BKK at the moment)

13:00 went for lunch - took books with me on Pwo and Pali to read at stop lights on the way to the restaurant

14:30 - went into bookstore in town to find a new version of my Sanskrit book that was falling to pieces - was out of stock, but bought 3 more books - Pali Grammar, Advanced Italian grammar and Cambodian

16:00 spent about 2 hours reading through the 3 books
19:00 - went to dinner - took the pali with me and read over dinner
21:00 - now writing this blog comment - about to logoff and read my new cambodian book for about an hour

In the meantime, I’ve had telephone conversations with clients and friends in Hong Kong, China, Indonesia and a Swedish group that are hiring me to run a workshop on cross-cultural communication. With all of these people, used the various relevant languages. …

So - how much time do I spend a day? It’s my life. I’ve built my life up around things that allow me to use the languages - people now pay me to do it!

As for remembering vocab, I use mnemonics, pegging and other ’standard’ tools, but also link meanings into sounds, colours, shapes, emotions, experiences and other words and extralinguistic things that I already have from other languages. When I meet a new word, in most cases I can relate it to another word(s) that I know - I can probably figure the etymology - and understand the sound / meaning shifts that have occured, and will then look for other related meanings.

Example - this is one story i used to remember the Indonesian days of the week when i was a kid-

On Sunday, people mingle (Minggu) at church,
On Monday, people are back to sinnin’ (Senin)
On Tuesday like Mario the Italian from Mario Bros shaking his hands in the air, they say ‘At lasta (Selasa)- Monday’s over)
On Wednesday, to cleanse the sins from Monday, the Rabi (Rabu) Comes (Kamis) and performs a strange sin cleansing ceremony by jumping up and down vigorously on a mat (Jumat)- just in time for the Sabbath (Sabtu) and going to church to mingle (Minggu) again on Sunday -
Sunday - Minggu
Monday - Senin
Tuesday - Selasa
Wednesday - Rabu
Thursday - Kamis
Friday - Jumat
Saturday - Sabtu
Sunday - Minggu

I t only takes a few seconds to put these kinds of stories together - and they stick! (try to go over all the stories i make up each day as I’m dozing off to sleep each night … and when I wake up in the middle of the night)… actually, sometimes they keep me from sleeping!

When I’m in my element, I can remember a lot of stuff… but at the same time, I might forget where I placed my car keys.

Hope this helps
Stu.

Edited by tsneds on 09 June 2008 at 11:58pm

shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 5951 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 40 of 46
13 June 2008 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
He is really quite an inspiration. In one of the interviews he says that he tries to learn 2-3000 words in the first couple of weeks of starting a new language!! The interviewer had to ask him to repeat that since he could not believe it. He must work at an intensity like that of the original L-R postings.

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version