Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What makes some people good at languages?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
91 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6448 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 89 of 91
18 October 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
I guess my hint wasn't noticed.

Start up a new thread! :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6113 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 90 of 91
18 October 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
"But being able to imitate the rate and sound of speech must be important, a lot of meaning is tied up in the rate of speech and expression of sound, does this help with comprehension?" I agree that the answer is yes. Another reason for close listening is that orthography doesn't match what is actually uttered, even in those lanugages with reformed spelling. Early on in learning German, I realized that what Germans thought they were saying and what the written work indicated they should be saying diverged from the actual every day pronunciation. I then modified towards what I was hearing. On our recent Norway trip, I gave up on the lilt, charming as it is. For one thing, my degree of fluency in the language didn't match my pronunciation, so I was getting in "over my head" (not for the first time), in that native speakers would think I was more fluent than I actually was. For another, I was perfectly understandable without the pitch. Of course, twice, I got told that I spoke Norwegian with a Danish accent (no lilt), once by a Norwegian and once by a Dane. (She actually said something to the effect that my Norwegian was "flat" like hers..) To revert to the imitation, as soon as I notice a common contraction, I adopt it, even if it's one that's never seen in writing. Those contractions will change by area also. To look at an American example, in southern dialects, we would never sound out "I would have never." No, we're too lazy. It come out as "I'd've never." There're many similar examples in other languages. I suppose it comes down to whether one wants to sound like a TV announcer or the bartender. It's nice to have the option...

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 91 of 91
20 October 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Wha cha up ta? = what are you up to. It’ a bit colloquial, it means, what are you doing?
¿qué va a hacer? And ¿qué va a ser? Sound the same in Spanish because of the way some vowels merge together. You end up with, kay baaa sir. They mean different things, but you can tell by context, Spanish context.

Ida y vuelta = eedyebealta

I think at a beginner’s level this means going over the same material you’re familiar with while listening, over and over again.

I hope what ever I end up sounding like that it’s pleasant to Spanish ears.
To be honest at this moment in time I wouldn’t know the difference in the way a tv presenter and a bar man speaks in Spanish.

So we’ve discovered something useful thanks to this tread, which may have seemed obvious to a lot, but not to some.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version