Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What makes some people good at languages?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 11 12 Next >>
Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 33 of 91
11 August 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
[To audiolang] To me this discussion suggests that there is a such person who is "suited" to study languages.
I originally set out, with the aid of this topic, to find out if there was something special about someone who speaks more than one language and thus learn something which may help others. I didn’t set out to prove that you are either good at languages or you’re not. Everybody is wired to learn languages, sure somebody will find it easier than others, but I don’t like to think that you have to have specific traits that magically make you suited to learning languages. Everybody is different and everybody has different traits, some which may be useful, such as, confidence. However, if your not the most confident person……..like myself, that doesn’t mean that you won’t ever be any good at learning languages, it’s not going to inhibit you if you maintain an interest. The only trait you need is to have an interest. Again I quote Barry Faber “Nobody who hears me translating, for instance, Spanish into Norwegian simultaneously, believes me when I tell them I am NOT a good language student. I've accomplished what I have by being born with an almost supernaturally supercharged motivation that overcomes my lack of raw ability. I grew up festering for the chance to learn other languages, and I couldn't believe everybody else didn't share my passion”.

Basically, I hope this topic has served itself as useful, not otherwise.

Edited by Wings on 11 August 2007 at 9:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6113 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 34 of 91
11 August 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Lots of good remarks above. Like Chung, once I overcome inertia and start learning a language, fascination with cognates, etc., takes over and I can scarcely free enough time to spend on it. There's a bit of new research which may bear to some degree on ease of learning also. We apparently have "mirror neurons" in our brains which primary task is to discern the facial expressions, bodily posture, etc., of a conversational partner to build empathy, etc. As I was thinking about that, I remembered something my ex-wife had said years ago - that, when I spoke German, not only my speech changed (I'm usually mistaken for native), but my posture, expressions and gestures became German. It may be that persons who learn to speak a new language well are endowed to a level above average with these neurons. Of course, such cells wouldn't help in reading, writing, and, in general, the "solo" part of learning a language...

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 35 of 91
11 August 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Earle wrote:
when I spoke German, not only my speech changed (I'm usually mistaken for native), but my posture, expressions and gestures became German. ..
That’s very interesting, unknown to yourself you picked up these mannerisms. You must have spent some time in Germany?

Edited by Wings on 11 August 2007 at 10:39am

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 36 of 91
11 August 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Earle Wrote: "Of course, such cells wouldn't help in reading, writing, and, in general, the "solo" part of learning a language"
What about the listening part? It’s very natural for a person to imitate; most audio programmes encourage you to imitate their native speakers. It may not teach about body language. However, I suggest that you would still use these "mirror neurons" to recreate the correct speech, and learn "solo".
P.S where did you read about "mirror Nuerons"? I never heard of them.

Edited by Wings on 11 August 2007 at 11:19am

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6113 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 

Message 37 of 91
11 August 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I've spent a good bit of time in German-speaking regions. However, the town I live in, Huntsville, Alabama, is home to the Marshall Space Flight Center and is where the von Braun rocket team finally ended up after WWII. Though they are aging, and we probably have more Asians now, the German influence in the town was very heavy, with unlimited opportunities for practice. My next-door neighbors for nine years were German. The "mirror neurons" tidbit came from a recent NPR program. It might be possible to locate it at NPR.org. I'll take a look also...

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6113 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 

Message 38 of 91
11 August 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Here you go: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4729505

tmesis
Mayotte
Joined 6446 days ago

154 posts - 146 votes 

Message 39 of 91
11 August 2007 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
-

Edited by tmesis on 17 February 2008 at 2:26pm

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6113 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 

Message 40 of 91
11 August 2007 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
There's definitely a genetic factor in the ability to mimic sounds. In my case, I'm almost 68, which is an advanced age to be learning another language. I'm also able to "color" my German* to the particular area I'm in and I can disguise my Southern American accent whenever I want...

*I've found that I do better listening to and imitating how speakers of other languages actually speak, as opposed to how they think and say they speak. I've always found the delta to be significant...

Edited by Earle on 11 August 2007 at 12:47pm

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version