Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What makes some people good at languages?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 11 12 Next >>
Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 91
30 July 2007 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
What is underlining ability or abilities’ a person has who is good at learning languages?
Are there people who can learn languages effortlessly?

I found this, it's interesting. It's a programme titled: “SAY WHAT YOU THINK” With Practising neuroscientist and monoglot Dr Mark Lythgoe grappling with the science of learning languages. Link

Here's another interesting programme about THE MIRROR-NEURON SYSTEM, From Earle.Link

Here’s an interesting article about THE MIRROR-NEURON SYSTEM, from tmesis. Link

Easier to learn when younger? Link

Polyglots 'have different brains? Link

For interesting insites The linguist blog Link

Gray matter and adult language learning by reineke link

From leosmith supermemo's article on sleep     

interesing topic by Zhuangzi   link

Edited by Wings on 08 December 2007 at 1:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Eve
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

67 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, Spanish

Message 2 of 91
30 July 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I forgot who defined genius as 99% hard work + 1% ability. So, probably even if somebody has natural ability for languages as fenomenal memory or something else, it will not be without hard work
1 person has voted this message useful

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 91
30 July 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I agree 100%. I'm not sure Whether this topic is going to spark a debate. But what separates someone who is good and someone who is not regardless of work ethic?

therumsgone
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

93 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 4 of 91
30 July 2007 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
I say it has something to do with confidence and perseverance. There are so many people who don't believe they can learn a language, or who are too afraid to speak in the foreign language when they encounter a native speaker. Then there are those who want to be able to learn in their sleep without putting any work into it ("just like a child learns," apparently). I believe that working hard (and consistently) and not being afraid of making mistakes means that you will be "good" at learning a language. Too many people overestimate the importance of ability, but really anyone can learn a language.

Pronunciation, though, may be another story. I've met people who can "do" a foreign accent after hearing it for twenty minutes, and who can easily mimic a language's prosody. Most people, though, can still develop an excellent accent with a little hard work.

FSI
United States
Joined 6157 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 

Message 5 of 91
30 July 2007 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
therumsgone wrote:
Too many people overestimate the importance of ability...

It's not an overestimation - it's an excellent way of justifying one's laziness. 99% of people are always going to imply 99% of people who get anything done were "born with talent", or "gifted", or "really really smart". It's just the way people are.

As a rule, human beings don't like giving credit to other human beings. It's far easier to say someone learns languages well "because their brain's just wired that way" than to take even an instant to laud the learner on the hundreds (thousands?) of hours s/he spent diligently learning.

This way, the person has a built-in excuse for why they can't speak a language, write a novel, hit a baseball, paint a portrait...etc. It's really handy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Eve
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

67 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, Spanish

Message 6 of 91
30 July 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
FSI wrote:

As a rule, human beings don't like giving credit to other human beings. It's far easier to say someone learns languages well "because their brain's just wired that way" than to take even an instant to laud the learner on the hundreds (thousands?) of hours s/he spent diligently learning.

You are absolutely right, FSI! Another common way to degrade the hard work - "It is an easy language!"

Edited by Eve on 30 July 2007 at 12:19pm

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6826 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 91
30 July 2007 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Who is good at languages? (not a full list)

Main factors:
People who are motivated to learn languages.
People who put a lot of effort into learning languages (like me).

Secondary factors:
People who can already speak more than one language.
Outgoing people who are not afraid to make mistakes.
People who are good at simplifying tasks.
People who heard a number of languages when they were young, including Swedes and Dutch people who watch TV in the original language.
People who are not closeted in their own culture and can visualize themselves as part of another culture and therefore willingly imitate the behaviour of another culture.
People who do not resist the new language, and just accept it without asking why it works in certain ways.

siomotteikiru
Zaire
Joined 6159 days ago

102 posts - 242 votes 

Message 8 of 91
30 July 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
I might add:
People who love what they are doing, then any effort is a reward not a punishment.

And people who know how to get down to this.

And people who have wings:
習う = to learn. kanji: my wings.

Blackbird, take your borken wings and learn to fly.

Edited by siomotteikiru on 30 July 2007 at 4:56pm

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version