Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What makes some people good at languages?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
91 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 11 12 Next >>
Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 65 of 91
13 October 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi, You’re right it does no good to stereotype, nobody could say for instance, “you need to be extroverted to be good at languages”, that would be absurd, Linguamor said: “All human beings are "gifted" at learning languages.” You learned your native language whether you where extroverted or not, extroverts may be perceived to be better talkers, but that’s because they just talk more, a quieter person could be just as eloquent with language if given the chance to express themselves, whether their own or one that is borrowed. I hate to stereotype, I hate to pigeon hole, square peg square hole, use what ever cliché you like………. Pot kettle black, because I’m as sure as the fact I’m Irish and I like potatoes and Guinness, that I’ll be told I’m contradicting myself, but, I said before, what can I do to become a better language leaner- not what stereotype do I fall into – and is it the right one for learning languages.
1.)     method
2.)     listening skills
3.)     comprehension skills
4.)     What order, if I can’t decipher one word from the next do I need to work on my listen skills? Or just keep on learning words and hope that the comprehension comes later, or is this a waste of time until I work on my listen skills???????????? I can’t understand because I can’t hear the words, is someone who is better at languages, just someone who’s a good listener, or someone who gets the ingredients just right.
5.)     Not, I think I need to be square peg, because it’s a square hole.

1 person has voted this message useful

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6118 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 66 of 91
13 October 2007 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Who said that introverts have to be shy?
As far as I know extroverts can be just as shy,anyway it wouldn't matter because you learn the language from books not directly from people.

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6113 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 67 of 91
14 October 2007 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Now that's an interesting statement. I suppose the first language - Latin, other than English, I learned, I did indeed learn from books. When I undertook to learn the next, I learned from folk song records and from conversation and only tertiarily from books. When I tackled the next, I used the same approach. Books are an adjunct...

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6118 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 68 of 91
14 October 2007 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Cool, I would like to hear more on your conversational experiences.

Edited by audiolang on 14 October 2007 at 3:18am

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 69 of 91
14 October 2007 at 3:25am | IP Logged 
I like the way Zhuangzi put it in the last post, he hit the nail on the head.
I hope we’re not going of in a tangent here, but give us a quick biographical sketch Earle, in relation to language learning in you life.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 91
14 October 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Wings wrote:
... to become proficient in communicating, it makes sense that you need to practice communicating. Would anyone disagree?

I would not say that it is false, just that the statement may be too simplistic.

The fact is that one of the most relevant persons you can communicate with is yourself. When I have tackled a new language I don't like to try to communicate with others before I'm sure that I can at least keep a silent discussion with myself running in my head. It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be totally fluent, but if I can't even think in a language there is no idea in trying to speak with anybody else. Which is one of the major reasons that I don't like being taught in a standard classroom setting.

Of course this phase shouldn't last too long, because you need to submit your utterances to others to get their reaction, otherwise you will just accumulate 'frozen errors' and unidiomatic ways of expressing yourself. Besides having to speak to somebody is a major motivating factor. But there is no reason to believe that you can keep up a conversation with others if you can't do it with yourself.

Edited by Iversen on 14 October 2007 at 2:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6113 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 71 of 91
15 October 2007 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Very good, Iversen. I use exactly the same technique. When I'm faced with an opportunity/challenge where I know I will have to communicate, I rehearse mentally various branches the conversation may take. It really helps. In German, I'm fluent enough that I think in German without aforethought, and sometimes speak it inadvertently to my wife, who speaks English and French, but no German. And, Wings, as soon as I get past our US tax deadline, I'll have time to post about my own language learning experience. BTW, my mother's maiden name (and my middle name) is "Boyd," so we're not so terribly distant in heritage...

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6152 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 

Message 72 of 91
15 October 2007 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Iversen and Earle, tank you, you’re both right you can start communicating on your own first, it doesn’t have to be with anyone else. The statement was a bit simplistic, and I don’t think it accurately represents what xtremelingo was trying to say, although eventually to get to a more advanced level of communication you do need to communicate with others. Starting off though, you’re better off trying to assimilate the language, at least the basics, in your head first.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version