Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What makes some people good at languages?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6066 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: German

Message 49 of 91
05 October 2007 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Eve wrote:
I forgot who defined genius as 99% hard work + 1% ability.

A lot of persons have said that, but this sentence generally is attributed to Thomas Alva Edison
1 person has voted this message useful

Thomas
Japan
rhinospike.com
Joined 6056 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Swedish

Message 50 of 91
06 October 2007 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
therumsgone wrote:
I say it has something to do with confidence and perseverance. There are so many people who don't believe they can learn a language, or who are too afraid to speak in the foreign language when they encounter a native speaker.

I agree with this. I had a friend who was really outgoing and had no shame and he learned Japanese really fast. I'm not so outgoing, and I get anxious when I speak to a native speaker and I learn quite slow. Confidence is necessary to really practice speaking.

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6084 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 51 of 91
10 October 2007 at 2:12am | IP Logged 

Confidence and the ability to allow yourself to make mistakes and not worry about them in my opinion is very important.

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6117 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 52 of 91
10 October 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
It reminds me of a singer that forgot a lyric/more lyrics,she was so upset that she spit her phlegm on the audience.Talk about perfectionism LOL.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 53 of 91
10 October 2007 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I knew someone who was apparently quite fluent in Turkish at a time when I myself didn't know the language. He was outgoing and even arrogant but he certainly seemed to communicate at a basic level. I learned later that what he spoke was more like a pidginised form of Turkish. Rather approximate pronunciation and virtually no grammar.

I think extroverts do better at learning languages, certainly speaking them. The late Robert Maxwell claimed to know nine. Now the man was known to lie and perhaps he exaggerated, but he grew up in a Jewish family in a multi-lingual corner of Czechoslovakia, and he learned English well within a year or so of starting to learn it.

Edited by William Camden on 10 October 2007 at 11:52am

Wings
Ireland
n/a
Joined 6151 days ago

130 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 54 of 91
12 October 2007 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
Perhaps extroverts do better at the beginning, but I'm not convinced, I think confidence is important, but you can be confident in your ability as a learner and not be extroverted. You can gain confidence in yourself, but if you’re not extroverted you’ll never be extroverted. My point is I don’t like the idea of your ability to learn to be based on your personality.

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6117 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 55 of 91
12 October 2007 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Character is everything that counts really.I don't want to see arguments about introverts (one is me) being inferior to extroverts .

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 56 of 91
12 October 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
I think personality is crucial, it goes beyond the introvert/extrovert divide, and human beings are complex and multi-faceted. People can transcend their personality or even change it - these things are not set in stone. At the end of the day it is up to the individual to learn or not learn a foreign language, and the reasons for success or failure lie in the personality much of the time.

An interesting example of someone who failed to learn a foreign language is the American film director Joseph Losey, who died in 1984. Losey lived in Paris for much of the 1970s as he found the British tax regime troublesome (Losey had come to Britain in the 1950s to escape a US subpoena over having Communist affiliations). Losey never learned French during his time in Paris, though no doubt he picked up some. It seems he didn't like doing something you cannot do well from the very start, and obviously, in learning a foreign language, you make mistakes and cannot run before you can walk. There was nothing introverted about Losey, but this type of perfectionist streak prevented him from making any serious attempt to learn French. He made films in French, at least one of them, Mr Klein, an excellent film, but he relied heavily on interpreters on the film set.     

Edited by William Camden on 12 October 2007 at 4:50am

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version