United States
Joined 6273 days ago

25 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian

Message 25 of 72
03 December 2007 at 5:11am | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
If there is no English translation of the transcript ala Assimil (which is the whole idea of its total immersion concept, I'd guess), I cannot imagine that a complete beginner could get anything out of it. One sure couldn't answer questions if he didn't know what the questions were, etc.

Complete French transcript & English translation for the entire video for lessons 2 - 13 are available at: http://www.mchenry.edu/faculty_pgs/ecorneli/digitalwarpaint/ html/fre151/fre151assign.html
6 persons have voted this message useful

tpark
Tetraglot
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 6844 days ago

118 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch, French
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 72
06 December 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
My wife and I had watched up to lesson 30 or so, and it's possible to get quite a bit out of FIA video without the book. I purchased the book and it clarified the things that were unclear without the book. It may be worthwhile to purchase the audio discs for the course, but I think I'll exhaust the other learning materials I have first.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mike82
United States
Joined 6534 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 27 of 72
07 December 2007 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
I don't know if this was posted before, but you can watch all the episodes at

http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

... you have to sign up though, but it's free.
3 persons have voted this message useful

johnL
United States
Joined 6481 days ago

29 posts - 32 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 28 of 72
14 December 2007 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
An excellent review/ad/endorsement of an excellent program!
I really have to agree, get ALL the materials; you won't regret it. (Although I really have to say, the Study Guide is really optional. It contains a few tidbits of useful info, but mostly it just says "Do this exercise. Now do this exercise. Now do the next exercise." After all, the exercises ARE numbered! If you can't figure out to do them in order, you won't get very far whether you have the Study Guide or not!) The books and audio materials can be had for much less than retail by buying from a variety of sources online. The videos are available in many locales on PBS and in libraries, and a resourceful person who looks really hard online can find them for rent to students. I don't really understand the post about different versions of the audio materials; as far as I know they only made one. But you definitely want the 2nd edition of the print materials.

And to the question about how can a beginner understand the French-only lessons, I have to say, it's amazing how easy it is to understand and learn what they're doing! That was what attracted me to FIA in the first place: It's like a puzzle, or a game. (And if you like that aspect of it, you might not want the Study Guide; it tells you in English what's going on in the story!) It's fascinating how you can watch these people speaking a foreign language and understand what they're saying!!! (An interesting note: In the workbook, the first few lessons have the instructions in English. But starting with lesson 6, even the instructions are in French!!! But, of course, it's pretty easy to figure out what to do. It's a great course!)

Edited by johnL on 14 December 2007 at 11:48am

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5391 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 29 of 72
13 February 2010 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I have just discovered this course and although I am learning Italian I am interested in
the immersion approach to language learning. I have watched the first two episodes but
dont have the books and audio tapes.

Since this thread is a few years old, have any of you guys and gals finished the course
now and to what level of french did this course take you. I have a lot of free time and
so picking up this course is something I could probably fly through in a few months if I
felt like, and since assimil has a greater selection of courses in french, it would be
nice to learn it (aside of course from the fact french sounds great and I have been there
quite a few times and love the country)

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 30 of 72
03 August 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I have just purchased the FIA DVD's, and then found this thread. I have watched 3 episodes with my son who is 13 and struggling with French in school. I myself have only just started learning French.

One aspect which hasn't been mentioned is that there are a few key words which are strongly emphasized in each lesson, and repeated in a number of contexts. As the intro episode states, a word can be used in a large number of contexts, so the approach of the programme is to help you to recognize the word in action. So, in the first episode one word is pressé; the word is said as the girl is hurrying, while another person is rushing along, etc. This is why you don't actually need a translation.

Unfortunately, you can't watch the videos online from outside north america. The DVD's are available from amazon.com for a pretty low price compared to the official website, but as far as I can tell the discs are legit. The audio CD's are incredibly expensive, however, and I can't afford them.

My verdict so far is that the course is really helpful. Although it is somewhat dated, you get over that quickly, and the quality is very good. My son enjoys watching the videos, and it has motivated both of us to keep learning. I'm not sure, however, how good the videos alone will be once we get past the beginner episodes.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5363 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 31 of 72
03 August 2011 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Well - I have been learning French for a while but I recently started FIA in its full mode (videos, textbook, audio, workbooks, etc) and it is really an excellent course for the self learner.

After episode 6 the grammar exercises in the workbooks are entirely in French. I personally am of the school of thought that grammar points are best explained in the learner's native language and not in the target language, but that aside the grammar explanations and exercises in the workbook are thorough without being academic and the exercises (which are a more modern version of the FSI style pattern drills) really get the language working.

johnL
United States
Joined 6481 days ago

29 posts - 32 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 32 of 72
03 August 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Like many people, I initially thought the Study Guide was irrelevant, but it does explain many of the grammar points (and other things) in English. I was kind of disappointed to find that it's in English (What happened to the idea of "immersion, no English"?) but sometimes it helps.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version