Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 33 of 72
03 August 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Hey, thanks for pointing that out. Got the study guides, but never looked at them after the initial flick
through. Now I will use them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5610 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 34 of 72
04 August 2011 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
You all will be happy to know that the word on the street here at Yale is that a
second [make that third, sorry] edition of FIA is in the works. I know nothing about the
changes, and can't even promise that it's true, but I do trust the person who mentioned
it.

Edited by Woodpecker on 06 August 2011 at 10:18pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 35 of 72
04 August 2011 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to be pedantic - but it would be a 3rd Edition.

There is a video of what is proposed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnr0-gftgWA&feature=relmfu
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 36 of 72
04 August 2011 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Elexi wrote:
Sorry to be pedantic - but it would be a 3rd Edition.

There is a video of what is proposed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnr0-gftgWA&feature=relmfu

Thanks for that link, I'm listening to the lecture now.

mlw03
Canada
Joined 4108 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: French

Message 37 of 72
17 February 2013 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
I'm studying French with Fluenz, and have heard FIA is a good complement. I'm seriously
contemplating plunking down the $500 for the materials, but if a 3rd edition for
everything is coming out soon, perhaps it'd be better to wait, rather than buy the 2nd
edition materials? Does anyone have any information about when everything will be
available through their website in the 3rd edition?

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5468 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 38 of 72
17 February 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
mlw03 wrote:
I'm studying French with Fluenz, and have heard FIA is a good complement. I'm seriously
contemplating plunking down the $500 for the materials, but if a 3rd edition for
everything is coming out soon, perhaps it'd be better to wait, rather than buy the 2nd
edition materials? Does anyone have any information about when everything will be
available through their website in the 3rd edition?

I had the good fortune to see a preview of the 3rd edition of the textbook, and it is not much different from the earlier editions. It has been reformatted, and a few extra side notes added. The bulk of it, though, seems to be pretty much the same as the second edition. In terms of when the third edition is going to be available, I keep seeing the date being pushed out, and the last I saw it is expected August of this year.

Now, those course books are expensive. If you have the cash, and really want the latest, then go for it. When I used the course, though, I bought used copies of the books. Just look on Amazon, and you will see a whole mix of prices. I checked every few days, and within a few weeks actually managed to pick up the books for 1 cent each, plus around $5 shipping to Europe from the US. They were in really good condition too.

johnL
United States
Joined 6482 days ago

29 posts - 32 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 39 of 72
17 February 2013 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
A couple notes on buying the books used:
Buy them from companies that specialize in text books. I didn't pay "new" price for any of my FIA books, but they all actually were new. A woman at one of the companies told me there's some kind of rule (which I can't remember now; it's been 8 years) that dictates when they have to call a book used, even if it's never been sold before.

And, if you can, buy them from a company that has plenty of the one you want because they don't value them as much as a business that has only one or two. When my workbook was delivered, it looked like the mail carrier ran over the book with his truck; it was a mess! I called the book company, thinking they might be able to convince the post office to replace the book, and the man I spoke to just laughed at the idea that it got run over and he sent me another one at no charge.

I didn't want to buy books that were "officially" used because of the likelihood that there would be writing in them. Of course, if that doesn't bother you and you can get them for a penny, go for it! :) That's a pretty hard price to beat.

jhaberstro
United States
Joined 4192 days ago

112 posts - 154 votes 
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 40 of 72
18 February 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
johnL wrote:
A couple notes on buying the books used:
Buy them from companies that specialize in text books. I didn't pay "new" price for any of my FIA books, but
they all actually were new. A woman at one of the companies told me there's some kind of rule (which I can't
remember now; it's been 8 years) that dictates when they have to call a book used, even if it's never been sold
before.

And, if you can, buy them from a company that has plenty of the one you want because they don't value them as
much as a business that has only one or two. When my workbook was delivered, it looked like the mail carrier ran
over
the book with his truck; it was a mess! I called the book company, thinking they might be able to convince
the post office to replace the book, and the man I spoke to just laughed at the idea that it got run over and he sent
me another one at no charge.

I didn't want to buy books that were "officially" used because of the likelihood that there would be writing in them.
Of course, if that doesn't bother you and you can get them for a penny, go for it! :) That's a pretty hard price to beat.
What was the name of the company you bought from?

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version