United States
Joined 6481 days ago

29 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 41 of 72
18 February 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 

[/QUOTE] What was the name of the company you bought from?[/QUOTE]
I shopped around and bought one here and another one there. Spent a LOT of time looking on-line and talking to people on the phone. And that was 8 years ago so I don't remember any names. Sorry.
1 person has voted this message useful

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5941 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 42 of 72
22 February 2013 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
In terms of when the third edition is going to be available, I keep seeing the date being
pushed out, and the last I saw it is expected August of this year.

According to Amazon, Part One of the textbook has been available for several months now, and the
accompanying workbook is announced for April 8, 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0300176104/ref=s9_psimh_gw_ p14_d1_i5?
pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-
2&pf_rd_r=0XF13S6SK3BTKH51K3F9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=138951728 2&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/French-Action-Beginning-Language-
Workbook/dp/0300176120/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Edited by Betjeman on 22 February 2013 at 4:06pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5467 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 43 of 72
23 February 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Betjeman wrote:
Splog wrote:
In terms of when the third edition is going to be available, I keep seeing the date being
pushed out, and the last I saw it is expected August of this year.

According to Amazon, Part One of the textbook has been available for several months now, and the
accompanying workbook is announced for April 8, 2013.

Wow! Thanks for the correction. I am now not sure whether I had read the August 2013 date somewhere, or whether my old brain was just confused. I apologise for my incorrect information about these release dates.

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5941 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 

Message 44 of 72
26 February 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

Wow! Thanks for the correction. I am now not sure whether I had read the August 2013 date somewhere,
or whether my old brain was just confused. I apologise for my incorrect information about these release
dates.

Not at all. For a glimpse at the contents search for french in action 3rd edition sample l13 l25 pdf here:
http://ebookbrowse.com. (Direct link doesn't work.)

Quite colorful, isn't it? As you can see, there's also a journal by one of the story's characters now,
apparently to give information on "new" technology like cell phones, computers, texting and so on.
Additional audio material for this section shall be released online, as they say here:

http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/fia/

Edited by Betjeman on 26 February 2013 at 8:11am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Betjeman
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5941 days ago

85 posts - 204 votes 

Message 45 of 72
15 March 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Betjeman wrote:
For a glimpse at the contents search for french in action 3rd edition sample l13 l25
pdf here: http://ebookbrowse.com. (Direct link doesn't work.)

I just wanted to add that there is a direct download function on that site so it is probably illegal (and
damaging to copyright owners) to use it. Don't do that! I wasn't aware of this when I first mentioned the
site. It is, hoewever, the only site I've found with a preview of the contents of that new edition. For
whatever reasons, the publishers themselves don't offer such a thing, neither on their own site nor on
Amazon.    

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 46 of 72
15 March 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Betjeman wrote:
Quite colorful, isn't it? As you can see, there's also a journal by one of the story's characters now, apparently to give information on "new" technology like cell phones, computers, texting and so on.
Additional audio material for this section shall be released online, as they say here:

http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/fia/

I have the 2nd edition and I did a quick comparison of Chapter 13 from the 3rd edition and the new textbook looks really great. Nice and modern. Although a lot of the content is the same as the 2nd edition, they did make good choices in the photography and book layout. If I didn't already have it, I'd be tempted to get the new edition. One question, in this link it says the textbook has 624 pages. The 2nd edition was split into two textbooks. I wonder if they really will have one monster book for the 3rd edition. If so, then $84 doesn't look quite so bad for a college textbook.

Edited by luke on 15 March 2013 at 10:41pm

johnL
United States
Joined 6481 days ago

29 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 47 of 72
16 March 2013 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Quote:
The 2nd edition was split into two textbooks. I wonder if they really will have one monster book for the 3rd edition. If so, then $84 doesn't look quite so bad for a college textbook.
I have the second edition and there is only one textbook (612 pages). Are you referring to the study guide, or maybe the workbook?

Edited by johnL on 16 March 2013 at 2:13am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 48 of 72
16 March 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
johnL wrote:
Quote:
The 2nd edition was split into two textbooks. I wonder if they really will have one monster book for the 3rd edition. If so, then $84 doesn't look quite so bad for a college textbook.
I have the second edition and there is only one textbook (612 pages). Are you referring to the study guide, or maybe the workbook?

Apparently it is the workbook that I have and was referring to. It's a hardcover book. I also have the study guide, which is somewhat smaller and in paperback. Maybe I don't have the textbook. I'll have to check the bookshelf at home.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version