Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 65 of 154
27 February 2008 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Day 18:
Just under half an hour of L-R - the dangers of leaving an IM client open reared their head. Some hours of listening to Polish music.

I'm starting to focus more on common short words (particles, pronouns, etc). Polish continues getting clearer, but I still have a long way to go.

I'm more frequently picking out two words in a row in music today, although still much more rarely than I'd like.

1 person has voted this message useful

fredomirek
Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 6694 days ago

265 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 66 of 154
28 February 2008 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
It's me again :) Could you please tell us how long the complete recording of the book is? It might give me an idea how much new text you have already used. And when you say you did, for instance, an hour of L-R - is it the recording time? Or do you simply measure the whole time from the beginning of the session till the end? (including listening to the audio while looking at Polish text, and later at English).

Thanks

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 67 of 154
28 February 2008 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
fredomirek wrote:
It's me again :) Could you please tell us how long the complete recording of the book is? It might give me an idea how much new text you have already used. And when you say you did, for instance, an hour of L-R - is it the recording time? Or do you simply measure the whole time from the beginning of the session till the end? (including listening to the audio while looking at Polish text, and later at English).

Thanks

The complete recording is 18.5 hours. I use the recording time for my log; my sessions are usually too shattered to measure well (the joys of living with other people..).

My current method of doing L-R is to mainly read the Polish text; I only glance at the English text. The glances are enough to compensate for the Polish words that I haven't internalized yet, as long as the translations are close; I can pick out -some- of the simpler Polish idioms at this point, but not all of them.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 68 of 154
28 February 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Day 19:
Not a good day for studying. I listened to several hours of Polish music, but only did a few -minutes- of L-R; under 10. On the good side, I think I've finally learned the word 'dni' (day); it had been evading me. I also picked up 'albo....albo'; Polish seems to have quite a lot of ways of saying "either one thing, or the other".

My listening comprehension of songs is creeping up, but -extremely- slowly. I continue to be able to find my place in the text fairly after seeking several minutes backwards/forwards in the audio, due to understanding the Polish enough to pick out where it is, but I'm still quite short of comprehending everything.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 69 of 154
29 February 2008 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
I've decided to find my limits on study time this weekend (and I'm curious about what the effect of nearly constant Polish L-R will be at this point). I won't be posting again until Monday. My goal is to study as close to constantly as possible all weekend, excluding Saturday evening and time for basic physical necessities, such as sleep.

I'm currently at the start of the 'second book' of The Master and Margarita, which is approximately about halfway through. I started it last night, but due to interruptions, I hardly had a study session, so I'll start it again tonight. I intend to finish it tomorrow (Saturday), and start a third pass through the book.

BelgoHead
Belgium
Joined 6091 days ago

120 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: French, English*
Studies: Esperanto

Message 71 of 154
01 March 2008 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I wish you the best of luck with your weekend study volte.

all the best

belgohead

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6227 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 72 of 154
02 March 2008 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
bacchanalian wrote:
I am very interested to see how the LR method goes for you.

Why are you spending so much time listening to Polish music? Is there any Polish talk radio on the Internet? I
would think that listening to talk would be more beneficial, even if you are just letting it play in the background
while you go about whatever.

When I'm online, I listen to a station which mixes talk and music. On my mp3 player, which I use when I'm offline, I have music. This is partly a matter of habit, and partly a matter of preference. I prefer to listen to music rather than talk during my commute, and in the background during less mentally intensive parts of my workday.

I've tried doing things like listening to Assimil on my mp3 player (though not for Polish). It's more helpful, admittedly. But... I -like- music, and the variety of content and voices, and it feels like a victory whenever I can understand another word or structure in it.

Is the music optimal for learning efficiency? Absolutely not. But it's something I enjoy, am used to, and which strikes me as minimally interfering with this experiment and measuring the time I spend on it, -because- it's so ineffective.

This discussion contains 154 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version