brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6563 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 25 of 51
22 June 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
TEAM – い - Japanese

Solfrid Cristin wanted a sort of roll-call and an evaluation of how things are going so far with the teams. And now, I’ve finally gotten around to writing one.

The members who are still active, seem to be:

Brun Ugle
Sunja
g-bod
kraemder
fortheo
Woodsei
mrwarper
Luai lashire
Takato

Some only drop in once a month or so (probably smart since the rest of us probably waste too much time on the forum instead of studying). Others seem to be here almost every day. As far as I can tell, we’ve only lost 2-3 members, which mean 75 - 80 % of us are still here. That seems like an amazing achievement considering the usual attrition rate in the TAC.

We all agree that this is the best TAC ever. We’ve been very active, supporting each other in our studies and with various difficulties in life (especially mine – Thanks everybody!) Unlike the Russian team, we haven’t been using our team thread, but just posting in each other’s logs. We haven’t tried Skype either, though there was a little interest in it.

I think the advice and support we’ve given each other has really made a difference. We’ve given each other advice about materials and learning techniques, and encouraged each other whenever language studies or life in general has seemed impossible. Most of us have made tremendous leaps forward in our Japanese and probably wouldn’t have come this far without this help and support.

1 person has voted this message useful

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5607 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 26 of 51
28 June 2012 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Somewhat of a strange question, but I am a member of Team 德 (German & A Sinitic Lang) because I started out the year studying Mandarin Chinese and Portuguese, but at this point I'm definitely going to be sticking with just Portuguese for the rest of the year...does this mean I need to switch teams since my language no longer applies to the team description?
Edit: Also, please let me know if I am posting this in the wrong area; I wasn't sure where to put it. Thanks!

Edited by jae on 29 June 2012 at 12:04am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 51
29 June 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
And finally a Team Žá update, I'm in Finland so it took long.

The following people are 100% in:

Serpent: Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Romanian; Russian (native), Croatian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Polish
Kerrie: Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese; Bosnian/Croatian
zecchino1991: Romanian, Italian; Russian
GRagazzo: Italian, Sicilian, Spanish; Russian
Amerykanka: Spanish, Latin; Polish
mick33: Italian, Spanish; Polish
Gallo1801: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan; Croatian

I'm not quite sure about AlephBey as he does remain a fairly active poster and there's no reason to assume he's abandoned language learning. Also not sure about João. I know EVERYONE seems determined in the beginning but he really did.

I'll be happy if anyone else who signed up now joins back in and starts updating their log! Or a new one if you prefer :)

jae, have you done any Mandarin study this year? If you have, imo you can stay in the team. Also, will you be at least maintaining your German?

Edited by Serpent on 30 June 2012 at 1:01am

jae
Triglot
United States
Joined 5607 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 28 of 51
29 June 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I kept studying Mandarin until around May. I read articles and things like that in German to keep my level up (I also talk with friends), but I haven't actually posted about German on my TAC log...but if I could stay in the group, that'd be great!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 51
01 July 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I don't think anyone has updated for the Romance Team yet.

As far as I know, the following people are still in:

Garyb, Pesahson, Hendrek, Songlines, Kanewai, Microsnout, Kerrie, Quabazaa, sctroyenne

and I think Mani, Blackdahlia, tw561, Luso are still in, too.

So out of 25 who started, we only have about 10 left, and only six or eight of us post regularly.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7099 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 30 of 51
25 August 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Geeze, I haven't read this thread in months even though it is sticky.

From what I can tell, here's a record of the last log entries by those on Team *jäŋe / *ledús:

a3 (Aug. 23) (last logged in on Aug. 24)
appelduvide (Jul. 2) (last logged in on Aug. 15)
cathrynm (Mar. 26) (last logged in on Aug. 20)
ChristiánVlček (Feb. 5) (last logged in on Jul. 9)
Chung (Aug. 12) (last logged in on Aug. 24)
hribecek (Aug. 23) (last logged in on Aug. 23)
Kafea (Mar. 11) (last logged in on Aug. 15)
Kisfroccs (Aug. 21) (last logged in on Aug. 24)
mick33 (Aug. 10) (last logged in on Aug. 24)
Volte (Feb. 2) (last logged in on Aug. 24)

5 out of 10 of us have posted to our logs this month which strictly speaking isn't unusual compared to other teams but I get the sense that I'm posting regularly with a summary of my activity coming every two weeks or so throughout the year so far. The others' activity seems to fluctuate, although it was busier in the winter. In any case I'm not bothered since we're learning fairly independently and certainly I haven't had the wherewithal to push for something like a group discussion on Skype like the people on Team Sputnik (although our lack of a common target language is a factor). It's also nice to see that most members haven't lost touch with the forum and have been posting on other topics this month.

In general, I haven't found the concept of beloging to a study group to be detrimental and I'd argue that it's brought a bit more out of me than usual in that I've been more keen to pass on links to teams (e.g. Five Colleges' LangMedia) and follow others experiences, as well as rethink about what I've been studying and pass on tidbits to lighten the mood (e.g. expletives in my target languages).

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5790 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 51
26 October 2012 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I want to inform that I (Fasulye) am still in the competition of the individual TAC 2012 with my language Danish.

Which other members of the individual TAC 2012 are still participating?

Fasulye

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4811 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 32 of 51
24 November 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately I saw the roll call only now. I'll quickly summarise who is still active in the East Asian Team 龍.

We had 8 members in total, out of those 3 are MIA. petrclik, sundance and EmersoninKorea haven't posted anything since spring, so I think it's safe to say that they have given up on TAC 2012. Out of the remaining members vermillion has changed his focus and went from studying Korean and Classical Chinese to German and is now experimenting with simultaneous language study through Assimil.

The Real CZ: Korean, Japanese
zhanglong: Mandarin, Cantonese
Warp3: Korean
druckfehler: Korean
vermillon: Korean, Classical Chinese, German, Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Latin, Norwegian, Polish, Swahili, Indonesian

We didn't make much use of the team thread and basically didn't have any rules about participation. But I think we all made an effort to read each others logs, answer questions and generally give tips and encouragement. I can only speak for myself, but I think TAC has really given me the push I needed to make good progress in Korean. Even just knowing that there were people following my journey has kept me accountable. Reading about my teammate's achievements (vermillon taking TOPIK 2 and then tackling a multitude of languages, TheRealCZ and Warp3 reading several novels in Korean, Warp3 continually studying Hanja, zhanglong doing a mini-presentation in Cantonese and passing his Mandarin exam) motivated me further.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version