Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5346 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 105 of 206
14 November 2009 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Literature is a "Red Herring" in this context.

What does Shakespeare and Dickens have to do with my ability to communicate with a Romanian or Dutch person in a mutually convenient language?

It has everything to do with it. Even if you were to force everyone in the European Union to speak Esperanto, people would still rather know English since everybody's favourite movies and songs are in English, and, for people from the Third World, America is the land of opportunity.

Trying to force a language upon someone is never a good idea. Just look at a similar political project of "Unity", the Soviet Union. Most non-Russian Estonians dislike Russian to the extent that they pretend tnot to understand it. Why would it work better with the Brussels Union? Just because Esperanto is "neutral"? It won't seem neutral if Brussels bureacrats force us to learn it.

People will only voluntarily learn a language if they see some benefit, be it financial or cultural. And non-voluntary language studies are seldom a success.

And a lingua franca can outlive the power that spawned it, just look at (West) Rome.

Edited by Gusutafu on 14 November 2009 at 6:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6981 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 106 of 206
14 November 2009 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Literature is a "Red Herring" in this context.

What does Shakespeare and Dickens have to do with my ability to communicate with a Romanian or Dutch person in a mutually convenient language?

[B]Of course[/B] English is more convenient for US PERSONALLY, who are reading this right now on this forum, and who have been through 10 years of compulsory English in school, university literature etc.

We are the perfect products of this system. I am saying, let's come up with a better solution now, to start introducing for future generations.

The British Empire is over
The Cold War is over.
The future of the US as the main world power or indeed a world power all is unclear.

New times, new language...

For that matter, Esperanto is so easy to learn, that we could all be speaking it fluently next year if we wanted. Tell that to a Pole or Greek person who can barely make himself understood after years of studying English.

Yet this type of change will happen regardless of the opinions expressed in this thread (perhaps the only thing that could bother you is that it's not guaranteed that the lingua franca will be Esperanto - it could be Arabic, Japanese or any other of the world's 6,000 some odd languages for all we know). English's place in the future for sure is uncertain. However I don't see the need for some kind of activism to make it happen.

If you were to declare by fiat that a language such as Esperanto (which is spoken by a miniscule fraction of the world's population) be the new lingua franca, I don't see how that would be popular with a majority of the world's population. All that I can see is the urge to satisfy some sort of nebulous political / social justice aim. It has nothing to do with language, but rather feelings toward English and Esperanto.

As a large-scale communicative tool today, English functions "least-worst" (or "best" depending on your point of view) and there's no way to demonstrate if Esperanto would function appreciably better as that large-scale communicative tool without imposing this Esperanto-experiment on Europe (or the entire planet for the sake of argument). Basically you're trying to reverse the development of English as a lingua franca (whose pace accelerated over the last 60 or so years) and start new with Esperanto whose spread you presumably want to compress into a shorter time.

Understandably a lot of people are not interested in wanting to bear the costs of going along with it just to see if it would indeed turn out to be the case. If it would turn out that Esperanto as a lingua franca would be no better than English, then a lot of people would begin questioning why did everyone go along or assent to this decree or imposition (unlike English which for most of its spread just "happened" The recent urge to impose it is abetted by people outside native English-speaking communities who genuinely want to learn it and be part or gain understanding of these communities (not everyone outside the English-speaking countries is overtly forced to learn English, despite some popular opinion).

These kinds of things... well, just happen and if you look back, everything is part of a series of accidents.

In the case of English, anyone can see that it took a lot of small accidents and a few big ones for it to emerge in the way that it did.

- What could have been if that Anglo-Saxon speech community was assimilated or subsumed by Jutes, Danes, Norsemen and Normans?
- What could have been if the French or Spanish Empires had emerged ascendant rather than the British one?
- What could have been if European powers didn't get tied up in their imperial ambitions and interlocking alliances which contributed to WWI? (with WWII being a kind of sequel)
- What could have been if the Americans had not been forced into taking a less isolationist stance and get involved in both wars? (coincidentally thus setting up the conditions for the global spread of American English?)
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5663 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 107 of 206
14 November 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:

Trying to force a language upon someone is never a good idea. Just look at a similar political project of "Unity", the Soviet Union. Most non-Russian Estonians dislike Russian to the extent that they pretend tnot to understand it.

Hah! No they don't pretend not to understand it! At least not any Balts that I know (I recently worked with some Latvians here in London). In fact they practically brag about their skills and how "easy" it was for them to learn RUssian. I won't bore you with example.

Anyway, Russian in the USSR is another red herring - it's not the same as the EU..... !

1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5663 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 108 of 206
14 November 2009 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Chung's point that people in general probably wouldn't go along with the Esperanto idea immediately.

In order to make it work, there would have to be some kind of big campaign to explain the benefits, then gradually introduce it..

Basically the same thing that was done with the EURO.

As for whether or not English was spread by chance... Well I think it spread for the EXACT same reason as Latin spread in the Roman empire...

Although now we have the media industry, Hollywood, popular culture, NATO, international business etc to make the spread MUCH MORE aggressive and much faster!

The USA dominance for 50 years has acheived what took the Roman empire hundreds of years... Plus in those days most people were illiterate and rarely met people from other countries.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6981 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 109 of 206
14 November 2009 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Cordelia0507, you should then have met some of the Lithuanians and Estonians whom I visited. I knew that they knew some basic Russian (my Estonian host even showed me a Russian cartoon), but they hardly bragged about knowing it. They preferred to speak native language plus English and weren't terribly enthusiastic about maintaining or broadcasting their knowledge of Russian unless forced to.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5502 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 110 of 206
14 November 2009 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Can't widespread European fluency in English be considered an asset? Most Europeans I
meet seem to have a very solid grasp of English and this allows them to go just about
anywhere. This coupled with another language is even better. Think for example what
proportion of Europeans are in many of the world's NGO's and IGO's.

Being a TCK, I probably don't understand the peril that surrounds language loss. Even
then, it seems to me that that the need for Esperanto is almost fabricated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5346 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 111 of 206
14 November 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Gusutafu wrote:

Trying to force a language upon someone is never a good idea. Just look at a similar political project of "Unity", the Soviet Union. Most non-Russian Estonians dislike Russian to the extent that they pretend tnot to understand it.

Hah! No they don't pretend not to understand it! At least not any Balts that I know (I recently worked with some Latvians here in London). In fact they practically brag about their skills and how "easy" it was for them to learn RUssian. I won't bore you with example.

Anyway, Russian in the USSR is another red herring - it's not the same as the EU..... !

I think it is quite different if you go to the Baltics, especially if they think that _you_ are Russian!

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5663 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 

Message 112 of 206
14 November 2009 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Ok back to the topic. Does anybody have an answer to this:

Quote:

1) A headmaster of a German school travels to a European conference on education, in Helsinki.
2) An EU expert on agriculture (Portuguese) is having lunch with a Polish colleague in Brussels.
3) An Italian chef is giving a lecture on pasta-making in Hungary...
4) A Greek policeman is liaiasing with a colleague in France about an escaped criminal.
5) An Austrian athlete participates in a competition in the Netherlands.

(.....)

WHY in your opinion is it right for these people to speak English under the circumstances in the examples?

This discussion contains 206 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version