Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Assimil Russian without Toil 1951

Tags: Vintage | Assimil | Russian
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
62 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
COF
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 62
26 March 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
It seems this is the only version Assimil ever printed in English. I have managed to locate some of the audio, and was wondering whether it's worth using, and also whether although it's 1951, is the language still fundamentally the same? Is it similar to the modern Assimil method?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6256 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 62
26 March 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
If you found the audio online via a torrent or a peer-to-peer sharing network, you've got the wrong version of audio for the 1951 course; the audio widely available online is for the 1971 edition, which was published in German and French, but not English.

Fanatic has copies of the 1951 audio; PM him if you're interested in him mailing you a CD.

Regarding the actual 1951 course, in approach it's identical to the modern Assimil method: Russian on one side, native language on the other. It's a very good course, and I recommend it.

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6662 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 62
26 March 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
well someone supposedly posted it on uztranslations a couple of days ago, so maybe it is available now.

which one is better btw, the '51 or '71?

COF
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 

Message 4 of 62
26 March 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I've just downloaded the version on Uztranslations and can confirm that the audio does correspond with the 1951 English text, at least the first 2 lessons do. The quality of the audio isn't too bad either.

Edited by COF on 26 March 2009 at 7:23pm

Instruct1
Groupie
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, French

Message 5 of 62
27 March 2009 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
COF wrote:
Yes, I've just downloaded the version on Uztranslations and can confirm that the audio does correspond with the 1951 English text, at least the first 2 lessons do. The quality of the audio isn't too bad either.

If you are talking about the audio links that were posted in the comment section on Uztranslations, of the audio that was transferred from records to cassette and then digitized, Yes the audio is quite good especially considering the way it was transferred.

Still it would be great if someone that took Fanatic up on the offer to receive a CD of the audio could upload the audio somewhere. The only reason Fanatic said he didn't upload it was because of his being on a dial-up connection. The postage from Australia must cost something and that is why I would prefer to download it.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5958 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 6 of 62
27 March 2009 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
Instruct1 wrote:
COF wrote:

If you are talking about the audio links that were posted in the comment section on Uztranslations, of the audio that was transferred from records to cassette and then digitized, Yes the audio is quite good especially considering the way it was transferred.

Still it would be great if someone that took Fanatic up on the offer to receive a CD of the audio could upload the audio somewhere. The only reason Fanatic said he didn't upload it was because of his being on a dial-up connection. The postage from Australia must cost something and that is why I would prefer to download it.
I got him to ship me the discs sometime last week, I'll try to upload it when the package arrives.

charlmartell
Super Polyglot
Portugal
Joined 6054 days ago

286 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: French, English, German, Luxembourgish*, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 7 of 62
27 March 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Alkeides wrote:
I got him to ship me the discs sometime last week, I'll try to upload it when the package arrives.

That's what I did, cf. the above mentioned links. I received the CD from fanatic earlier on this week and uploaded the files, after telling him I was going to do that. He didn't seem to mind.
He was quite right not to do it himself, uploading was a messy affair, took me 2 days on a broadband connection (unlimited traffic, though like the weather, intermittent showers = cutoffs). I at least don't have to pay by the minute, like fanatic does.
Maybe someone could tell me what I might possibly have done wrong, because even at the best of times I didn't get higher than 13KB/sec upload speed, usually more like 7.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5958 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 8 of 62
27 March 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
*Edit*

Never mind, I found your link. It's on the comments section of the original news item on uz-translations.net.ru for anyone else interested

Edited by Alkeides on 27 March 2009 at 1:07pm

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version