Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Most Beautiful Romance Language

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Most beautiful Romance language (sound, script, grammar, other reason)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [15.82%]
98 [26.27%]
58 [15.55%]
117 [31.37%]
41 [10.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

95 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
Louis
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5528 days ago

92 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish

Message 81 of 95
20 June 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I feel so rebellious for choosing Romanian! Really? The lowest number of votes of all the languages!? The Slavic influence and relative isolation from other Romance languages make it quite different! Romanian truly is l'enfant terrible of the Romance family. I just wish I had the time to study it more in-depth.

Also, for some Romanian music: be sure to check out Negură Bunget! It's quite heavy, but it features some authentic Romanian folk music.
2 persons have voted this message useful

SPQR Etruria
Diglot
Italy
Joined 5105 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Italian*, English

Message 82 of 95
01 September 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
For me it's really a hard battle between French and Spanish; the others i usually don't like the sound of (Portuguese, seems to me a degenerated ibero-romance language; and Romanian is too distant sounding and lexically distant; especially the shhhh sounds get on my nerves, in that regard i prefer Brazilian Portuguese, for its importance in some dances)

Spanish has fierce and marthial rithm in itself, i like the harsh js sound too.
French is very tender, i like sounds such as js, and bears some resemblance to north Italian dialects.
I like songs when sung in Spanish, because of its rithm and fierce; while I don't like songs in French, they tend to be too mellifous.

Speaking of Italian dialects i love Neapolitan (and those from Campania), Apulian, Venetian, and generally those from northern italy (such as Romagnolo)
1 person has voted this message useful

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5867 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 83 of 95
01 September 2010 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Frankly, I think this poll has a lot to do with what most people are exposed to on a daily basis. The vast majority of us have been exposed to Spanish and French several times in our lives. And we've basically been told from birth that French and Italian are the most beautiful languages, for whatever reason.

And I don't know why people are so befuddled about Portuguese; it developed independently from Spanish in Galicia and Portugal; it's not some weird-sounding stepchild of Spanish. And because we know even less about Romanian as a community, it's no surprise that that language has received the lowest number of votes.

My personal opinion? French and Portuguese. I don't think I even need to explain why I think French is beautiful. But Portuguese (Brazilian): so many lovely different sounds that make Spanish (and Italian to a lesser extent) sound just plain boring at the end of the day. Go listen to some samba and bossa nova before disagreeing with me. ;)

Edited by vikramkr on 01 September 2010 at 11:19pm

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5920 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 84 of 95
02 September 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Italian and Spanish are equally beautiful to me (although I voted for Italian in the poll). I absolutely love when Andrea Bocelli alternates between the two languages in several of his songs. That to me is the apotheosis of mellifluous euphony.

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5616 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 85 of 95
02 September 2010 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I think the major influence in my judgement is whether a Romance language is stress
timed or syllable timed. French, Spanish, Italian are syllable timed, European
Portuguese is stress timed, and Catalan is alternating between the two and Brazilian
Portuguese is becoming like Catalan. Stress timed languages have lots of consonant
clusters, sibilants, and clipped vowels so don't sound very musical and sonorous.

I hear in European Portuguese a lot of "sh" sound and compressed unstressed syllable
sounds. Catalan words don't end in vowels, sounds similar to European Portuguese with
reduced vowels and a lot of "s". Russian is also stressed timed with lots of sibilants,
so the similarity with it is quite valid.

Romanian sounds like any common syllable timed language that is not a Romance language.
French is beautiful but has Germanic sounding vowels, thus not really prototypical
Latin-descended language. I love the "z/ce/ci" and "j/ge/gi" of Castilian Spanish but
don't like the very prominent "s" and "ch". Italian is either musical or gets sing-
songy depending on my mood. So, I'll settle for Rioplatense Spanish as it has the
Italian musicality to it without the "s" of Castilian Spanish, plus it has a breathy,
airy quality due to the aspiration of 's' before consonants. Now, if only I can add
back the "z/ce/ci", "j/ge/gi" and "ll".

I didn't vote, as my choice is not there really. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDNuS_Ri9TQ&feature=related

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 02 September 2010 at 1:24pm

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5079 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 86 of 95
04 September 2010 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Romanian has my vote personally because I really don't like the sound of any of the western romance languages. I don't know exactly why this is, but I find them to be extremely "passionate" for lack of a better word, and I find them much to elegant for my tastes. I can only really attribute my preference to taste. There's no real logical reason for it I guess. But either way, I prefer the slightly more Slavic sounding Romanian to any of the western languages.

Legend
Australia
Joined 5327 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 87 of 95
07 September 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
For me, I have no current desire to learn any other language outside of the Romance group. They are all lovely. I am a little biased, but Italian for me is the nicest.

It is interesting the preconception of Romanian. I too once expected a sharp, Russian-like Slavic language with an unattractive rhythm. Very wrong. It's sort of like a less aloof French with traces of Croatian. Very lovely.

If I were to list them in order with the way I think now I don't think I could do it effectively. I do know that my fifth favourite would probably be Portuguese and sixth would be Catalan, I don't like it all that much - sounds Germanic. I can't really separate Spanish, French and Romanian in an order. Plus, my opinion will probably change a week from now.

wolf727
Italy
Joined 4985 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Studies: French

Message 88 of 95
13 September 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Tyr wrote:
Italian.
With French the women sound hot but the guys you just have to kill.
With German the guys sound cool but the women are damn scary.
Italian has both hot women and cool guys.

I do agree with you!

When I was young I used to like the sound of the French language but now I don't. Definitely French sounds better when the women speak it, but sorry, to my ears the men sound too effeminate with the language and doing all that unnecessary pouting with their mouths...

Again when I was younger I did not like the German language but now I do like the sound of it and you described it so well.

German sounds masculine and direct - opposite to French - and therefore better when the men speak it. But for some women it does sound too harsh.

Italian language...hmmm...not so sure. I do agree that Italian women and men both are usually attractive and stylish in Europe.

Myself personally I would rather learn German. I do like also the sound of the Ukrainian language. In general, I tend to like northern sounding languages, even Swedish.

It depends I suppose on one's background. My mother is Italian, father English and my grandfather Argentinian. I was born in Canada but I have lived also in England and Italy. Now I shall be returning to the UK. My English is spoken with a slightly subdued Canadian accent.

Edited by wolf727 on 13 September 2010 at 2:00am

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version