Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
95 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 11 12 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 34 of 95
13 April 2009 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
I am wondering if more people had heard Romanian spoken, would it have a higher ranking? Personally, I believe it to be the most beautiful and was surprised to see it in last place. The only reason that I can attribute this to is that most people have never heard it. It is really only since March of this year that I have really ever heard it. This is just something to think about here.
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5722 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 35 of 95
13 April 2009 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
I am wondering if more people had heard Romanian spoken, would it have a higher ranking? Personally, I believe it to be the most beautiful and was surprised to see it in last place. The only reason that I can attribute this to is that most people have never heard it. It is really only since March of this year that I have really ever heard it. This is just something to think about here.
I think you're right; I couldn't vote for Romanian in this poll because I haven't heard it spoken yet. Later tonight, I will probably find an online radio station that broadcasts in Romanian, just so I can hear what the language sounds like.

Edited by mick33 on 13 April 2009 at 6:34am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 95
13 April 2009 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
I simply don't understand this discussion. There are people whose intonation and choice of words can make any language shine, and there are those that could make any language sound like something that came out of the backside of an ork.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 37 of 95
13 April 2009 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
I think you're right; I couldn't vote for Romanian in this poll because I haven't heard it spoken yet. Later tonight, I will probably find an online radio station that broadcasts in Romanian, just so I can hear what the language sounds like.

For anyone who is interested, Omniglot.com gives a sample text for every language and for many of them (including Romanian) a recording is included... It isn't very long but it might help to get a sense of the language. Here is the link:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/romanian.htm

(If you would like to see/hear another language, just replace 'romanian' in the link with for example, 'danish.' It should not be capitalized.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5607 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 38 of 95
13 April 2009 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
mick33 wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
I am wondering if more people had heard Romanian
spoken, would it have a higher ranking? Personally, I believe it to be the most beautiful and was surprised to see it
in last place. The only reason that I can attribute this to is that most people have never heard it. It is really only
since March of this year that I have really ever heard it. This is just something to think about here.
I think
you're right; I couldn't vote for Romanian in this poll because I haven't heard it spoken yet. Later tonight, I will
probably find an online radio station that broadcasts in Romanian, just so I can hear what the language sounds
like.

For anyone who is interested, Omniglot.com gives a sample text for every language and for many of them
(including Romanian) a recording is included... It isn't very long but it might help to get a sense of the language.
Here is the link:
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/romanian.htm

(If you would like to see/hear another language, just replace 'romanian' in the link with for example, 'danish.' It
should not be capitalized.)

Unfortunately the Italian recording is clearly non-native (though he has not a bad accent)

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5653 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 39 of 95
13 April 2009 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
For me, it is French. I like the French pronounciations rather the English pronounciations of the similiar words (For example, l'appartement and the apartment)

To the thread starter: You missed out Occitan! I am in Southern France now and there are many Occitan books and study materials. Occitan is very close to Catalan and yet you can see that it is also close to French especially in grammar.I think Occitan sounds like French spoken in Spanish,but I do not know whther this statement is correct........   

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 40 of 95
13 April 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:

To the thread starter: You missed out Occitan! I am in Southern France now and there are many Occitan books and study materials. Occitan is very close to Catalan and yet you can see that it is also close to French especially in grammar.I think Occitan sounds like French spoken in Spanish,but I do not know whther this statement is correct........   

I meant this to be for the major six Romance languages, which are generally listed as Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Catalan, and Romanian. Languages such as Occitan, Sardinian, Corsican, Romansh, and others are usually considered minor Romance languages.

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version