Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Most Beautiful Romance Language

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Most beautiful Romance language (sound, script, grammar, other reason)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [15.82%]
98 [26.27%]
58 [15.55%]
117 [31.37%]
41 [10.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

95 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5619 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 89 of 95
13 September 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Romanian all the way! :-D
1 person has voted this message useful

ReachingOut
Pentaglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5035 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 90 of 95
20 September 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Louis wrote:
I feel so rebellious for choosing Romanian! Really? The lowest number of votes of all the languages!? The Slavic influence and relative isolation from other Romance languages make it quite different! Romanian truly is l'enfant terrible of the Romance family. I just wish I had the time to study it more in-depth.

Also, for some Romanian music: be sure to check out Negură Bunget! It's quite heavy, but it features some authentic Romanian folk music.

I voted for Romanian, too. It is definitely one of the more interesting Romance languages due to some grammatical features unique to these languages such as the article being attached to the end of the noun. As for the sound, to me it sounds more like a Romance language than a Slavic one. A close second is Italian.
One must take into account regional variation. Romanian spoken in Moldavia sounds somewhat different from that spoken in Romania.
@ Louis. If you like Negură Bunget, you could also try Phoenix and Bucium, I think you might like them!

deej
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5136 days ago

31 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Hindi, English*, Italian, French

Message 91 of 95
21 September 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure why Spanish is so low in the poll! It's definitely the softest of the
Romance languages I think(though I dont know about Romanian) but I can understand why
Italian is in the lead.

Personally, I would say Spanish but I'd also be intrigued to see where Catalan would come
in this poll.As for Portuguese, it sounds very nasal and I thought nasal languages were
generally not deemed to be as beautiful?

ThisIsGina
Groupie
United Kingdom
languageblogbygina.w
Joined 5116 days ago

56 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, French

Message 92 of 95
22 September 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
I voted for Romanian. I love them all, actually, but Romanian is my second favourite language, and also I feel sorry for it because it is so underrated (in general, not just in this poll).

My first favourite language overall is Spanish, and that is because it's my first foreign language so it is special to me, not because it is more beautiful than the others. I think Spanish is one of the most beautiful languages I know of, but Romanian is slightly more so because it has the interesting Slavic influence and it looks very cool and exotic in writing.

fireflies
Joined 4979 days ago

172 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 93 of 95
22 September 2010 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
They are all like different flavors of the same type of candy.

I guess I will go with Spanish ..then Italian. That is based on what I would enjoy hearing on an everyday basis.

Quertillia
United States
Joined 5242 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Spanish, Turkish

Message 94 of 95
22 September 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
For me, French sounds the most beautiful. However, I like Spanish more. Spanish is the language I'm learning, and
after visiting Spain for a month I get happy feelings whenever I hear it!

The_Beholder
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 5230 days ago

30 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English, German, FrenchB1
Studies: Japanese

Message 95 of 95
22 September 2010 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I like French the most. The others are not as much appealing to me as French, though each
one has its own beauty. :)

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version