Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Most Beautiful Romance Language

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Most beautiful Romance language (sound, script, grammar, other reason)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [15.82%]
98 [26.27%]
58 [15.55%]
117 [31.37%]
41 [10.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

95 messages over 12 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 11 12 Next >>
jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5775 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 95
08 April 2009 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
I would vote for French and Italian. I can't really pick one over the other. French is more poetic to me, Italian is more musical.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5645 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 95
08 April 2009 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I speak French, Spanish and Italian and I especially like the pronounciation of the Italian language. For example in Italian pop music the language, which is full of vowels and has a clear phonetic pronounciation, sounds very good. Therfore I voted for Italian.

Fasulye-Babylonia

Edited by Fasulye on 08 April 2009 at 11:14am

Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5580 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Studies: Swedish

Message 19 of 95
08 April 2009 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Tyr wrote:

Romanian and Portuguese don't fit in here IMO. They don't sound very romancy at all. Very rough. Downright Russian to the uneducated.

What we are dealing with here, Tyr, are not languages that sound "romancy" (I interpret it that you mean it to mean 'pretty') as you put it, but languages that are in the Romance group of the Indo-European language family. That is to say, we are dealing with the languages that are direct descendants from Latin, and not just languages that one person deems to be "romancy." I do hope you understand the distinction.

....all of which I know and have done since I was about 12.
I meant what I said. At a brief listen Portuguese anf Romanian don't immediately stand out as being obviously romance languages the way the others do, they're very harsh.

Camambert
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 5724 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Korean

Message 20 of 95
08 April 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
It is definitely Portuguese! European Portuguese. Moreover, it is the most beautiful language in general in my opinion, not only among the romance languages. Too bad I see not that much practical use in learning it, otherwise that's what would I do currently. Sometimes I listen to portuguese radio not understanding a single word, it's just like music to me. It sounds soooo astonishing...

Portuguese is my love! :-)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 21 of 95
08 April 2009 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Tyr wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
Tyr wrote:

Romanian and Portuguese don't fit in here IMO. They don't sound very romancy at all. Very rough. Downright Russian to the uneducated.

What we are dealing with here, Tyr, are not languages that sound "romancy" (I interpret it that you mean it to mean 'pretty') as you put it, but languages that are in the Romance group of the Indo-European language family. That is to say, we are dealing with the languages that are direct descendants from Latin, and not just languages that one person deems to be "romancy." I do hope you understand the distinction.

....all of which I know and have done since I was about 12.
I meant what I said. At a brief listen Portuguese anf Romanian don't immediately stand out as being obviously romance languages the way the others do, they're very harsh.

I do apologize, it was just in the way that you stated it, it seemed to me that you didn't have a clear understanding of what it meant to be a Romance language. But why do you think Portuguese is harsh? It's a very soft, flowing language. And if you don't like one dialect (ie, European), you may like the other dialect (Brazilian). Romanian has a lot of Slavic influence on its pronunciation and that is what makes it sound so different. But I still don't believe that it's harsh. I think it will be interesting to see your response...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5580 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Studies: Swedish

Message 22 of 95
08 April 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

I do apologize, it was just in the way that you stated it, it seemed to me that you didn't have a clear understanding of what it meant to be a Romance language. But why do you think Portuguese is harsh? It's a very soft, flowing language. And if you don't like one dialect (ie, European), you may like the other dialect (Brazilian). Romanian has a lot of Slavic influence on its pronunciation and that is what makes it sound so different. But I still don't believe that it's harsh. I think it will be interesting to see your response...

I don't know any Brazillians, what I know of Portuguese is purely based off Europeans. I know a few Portuguese people and the first time I heard one talking on the phone (before I knew where she was from) and I guessed it was Russian- in lieu of any better guess of course, its...strange. What I did know of Portuguese at the time was it was apparently somewhat mutually-intelligible with Spanish and it certainly didn't sound like that (I have a lot more contact with Spaniards than Portuguese).

Romanian too I guessed to be a Slavic language of some sort when I first heard it. Only written down could I really see the similarities to what I knew from French.

Ham
United Kingdom
Joined 5787 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 23 of 95
08 April 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
I vote for Spanish, I like the rhythm of it and the soft 'th' sounds, in castilian. Romanian is also nice. I think Italian looks quite ugly when written, and french does not sound pleasant to me at all. I must confess I have not heard much portuguese, but sounding harsh doesn't mean it's not beautiful, russian is beautiful and German can be too.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5697 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 24 of 95
08 April 2009 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Italian

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version