Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Most Beautiful Romance Language

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Most beautiful Romance language (sound, script, grammar, other reason)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
59 [15.82%]
98 [26.27%]
58 [15.55%]
117 [31.37%]
41 [10.99%]
You can not vote in this poll

95 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 11 12 Next >>
QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5653 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 41 of 95
14 April 2009 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
QiuJP wrote:

To the thread starter: You missed out Occitan! I am in Southern France now and there are many Occitan books and study materials. Occitan is very close to Catalan and yet you can see that it is also close to French especially in grammar.I think Occitan sounds like French spoken in Spanish,but I do not know whther this statement is correct........   

I meant this to be for the major six Romance languages, which are generally listed as Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Catalan, and Romanian. Languages such as Occitan, Sardinian, Corsican, Romansh, and others are usually considered minor Romance languages.

I tend to disagree, because Occitan was suppressed in the past in France like Catalan was in Spain. There is a great revival of the language because of the recognition of Occitan as a regional language in the EU, which is about the same case as in Catalan.(There might be other factors that I do know through). Besides that, Occitania covers a big area about half of France with 13 million people having the heritage. If Catalan is considered as a major language, Occitan must also be a major language.
1 person has voted this message useful

guilon
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 5990 days ago

226 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, PortugueseC2, FrenchC2, Italian, English

Message 42 of 95
15 April 2009 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I simply don't understand this discussion. There are people whose intonation and choice of words
can make any language shine, and there are those that could make any language sound like something that came
out of the backside of an ork.

You may be right about specific speakers, but there is a clear tendency to like some languages more than others as
a whole, regardless of particularities or individualities. If I were asked which Germanic language I like the most I
wouldn't hesitate to say that Swedish is by far my favourite because of its tonalities and its unique vocalic sounds.
Things can also be considered from a general point of view.

Xaviq
Bilingual Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 5500 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, French, EnglishC1
Studies: German, Latin

Message 43 of 95
15 April 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
I tend to disagree, because Occitan was suppressed in the past in France like Catalan was in Spain. There is a great revival of the language because of the recognition of Occitan as a regional language in the EU, which is about the same case as in Catalan.(There might be other factors that I do know through). Besides that, Occitania covers a big area about half of France with 13 million people having the heritage. If Catalan is considered as a major language, Occitan must also be a major language.

I do not think we should consider Occitan as "important" as the big Six just because of the reasons you expose. Firstly, we are talking about current importance, therefore, I guess the fact Occitan was suppressed for a long time has little to do with the discussion. And secondly, and I consider this totally essential, mixing the terms Occitania and Occitan is not correct at all: 13 million people who consider themselves Occitan does not mean there are 13 million Occitan speakers, but only a couple or three, being quite generous. Catalan is spoken by 10 million people, there's a huge difference, and after all, I suppouse this is what counts the most.

I vote for Italian, by the way. The most delicate Romance language in my opinion.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 44 of 95
16 April 2009 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Xaviq wrote:
QiuJP wrote:

I do not think we should consider Occitan as "important" as the big Six just because of the reasons you expose. Firstly, we are talking about current importance, therefore, I guess the fact Occitan was suppressed for a long time has little to do with the discussion. And secondly, and I consider this totally essential, mixing the terms Occitania and Occitan is not correct at all: 13 million people who consider themselves Occitan does not mean there are 13 million Occitan speakers, but only a couple or three, being quite generous. Catalan is spoken by 10 million people, there's a huge difference, and after all, I suppouse this is what counts the most.

I vote for Italian, by the way. The most delicate Romance language in my opinion.

Yes, I have also done some research myself and here are the number of native speakers of each of the Romance languages in this survey (plus Catalan and Occitan):
SPANISH: 322 million
PORTUGUESE: 191-230 million
FRENCH: 90 million
ITALIAN: 70 million
ROMANIAN: 24 million
CATALAN: 6.7 million
OCCITAN: 2 million

khatrineluz
Philippines
Joined 5551 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: English

Message 45 of 95
16 April 2009 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
I voted for French but I also find Spanish language romantic.

Z.J.J
China
Joined 5406 days ago

243 posts - 305 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 46 of 95
04 August 2009 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I voted for Italian, the second for French, & the third for Portuguese (Brazilian).

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5812 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 47 of 95
06 August 2009 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Come on people, gotta be Spanish, no contest! :D

Kyrie
United States
clandestein.deviantaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5527 days ago

207 posts - 231 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 48 of 95
06 August 2009 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I don't see why Portuguese is the second to last. It has way more sounds than Spanish, and in my opinion, is the most beautiful. No competition.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version