Joined 6994 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 81 of 132
16 December 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
OneEye wrote:

Written colloquial forms of dialects are just that -- colloquial. They aren't standardized and they're generally used only in informal situations. Everyone learns to read and write Standard Chinese. Not everyone can read and write colloquial written Cantonese.

Exactly, and that I feel is what unites China linguistically. That the majority of all writing is done in a common language, Standard Chinese. The characters themselves do not create this unification.
2 persons have voted this message useful

xiongshi7
United States
Joined 4752 days ago

21 posts - 25 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 82 of 132
17 May 2011 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
sebngwa3 wrote:
I was thinking although learning Chinese character is fun, it is not
very efficient. If they
got rid of using the characters and just used pinyin, wouldn't it save a lot of time
learning
all those characters?

Hanzi is the uniform means of written communication throughout China, regardless of the
dialect an individual speaks. Therefore, someone who is Cantonese can effectively
communicate by means of hanzi with someone who speaks Mandarin, etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5507 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 83 of 132
17 May 2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
xiongshi7 wrote:
Hanzi is the uniform means of written communication throughout China, regardless of the
dialect an individual speaks. Therefore, someone who is Cantonese can effectively
communicate by means of hanzi with someone who speaks Mandarin, etc.

Yes, but only because they're both literate in Standard Chinese, which only
incidentally happens to be written in hanzi. I don't deny that it is also a
great help but the mutual intelligibility is definitely not because of the
hanzi.

This is especially true with topolects that are further away from Mandarin than Yue,
e.g. Min. Were one to actually write Min down, making up characters or using POJ for
ones that don't exist, I think one would have a hard time understanding. If you want to
argue that that's still "effectively communicating" then I can only say that's not
really that impressive. A Spanish speaker and a French speaker can effectively
communicate with each other in this limited sense.

Ichiro
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6020 days ago

111 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Malay

Message 84 of 132
19 May 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
But how would you write your Standard Chinese, if not in the characters?

If it were written in an alphabetic script, the Minnan speaker's spelling of a 'Standard Chinese' word in the way they recognised to say it, would differ from the Shanghainese speaker's, would differ from the north Chinesian's.

Whichever pronunciation / spelling you standardised on would be like learning a different language for the other groups. Which it isn't at the moment, because everyone understands the hanzi, the basic core at least, even if local languages have extra ones for their own speech.

Hanzi are inseparable from all these different language groups having a common written language.

Player01
Canada
Joined 4851 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes

Message 85 of 132
19 May 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
If the question is about whether characters can be replaced by pinyin as a system to record speech then yes. Linguistically all natural languages can be recorded in phonetic form.

If the question is about whether characters should be replaced by pinyin as a system to record speech then no. All the materials published in characters and the masses who are costumed to reading in characters will need a long and expensive transition. Changing to Hanyu Pinyin will also result in instability. The most practical approach would be digraphia.

- - - - -
@Ichiro
Think of it in this way, You live in a world where Mandarin topolect doesn't exist and China has no official language yet. You're born in Shanghai and you don't speak any topolects or dialects other than Shanghainese. Then one day the government decides to make Cantonese the official language of China. The standard texts in Characters are now based on Cantonese Vernacular. Do you think you can still understand the contents correctly? The fact that the majority of Chinese can understand Characters is because they're trained to read characters base on the grammar, vocabs, and structure of the official language. By the way, the "advantages" of characters are actually disadvantages. For example, humans have to think in at least one language in order to "think". But most native Cantonese speakers think in Cantonese even when they are reading written vernacular Putonghua. This is probably due to the fact that both Cantonese and Putonghua use the same script and speakers will automatically choose a speech more fluent to think. Although this isn't a bad thing it can really slow down the progress of learning the common speech among them.

Examples
English: How much is this?
Shanghainese: 几钿?
Cantonese: 呢個幾蚊呀?
Mandarin: 这个多少钱?

English: I'm not feeling well.
Shanghainese: 我有眼勿适意.
Cantonese: 我有啲唔舒服。
Mandarin: 我有些不舒服。

Englsih: Please don't eat the chocolate in my house!
Cantonese: 唔該你唔好食我屋企啲朱古力!
Mandarin: 请你不要吃我家的巧克力!

Resource:
http://www.omniglot.com/index.htm
http://www.wikipedia.org/

Edited by Player01 on 19 May 2011 at 8:33pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 86 of 132
20 May 2011 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Player01 wrote:
Cantonese: 呢個幾蚊呀?

While I suppose it's technically correct, it sounds to me a bit like "How many dollars does this cost?". In my experience, everyone says "幾钱呀?"

Ichiro
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6020 days ago

111 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Malay

Message 87 of 132
21 May 2011 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Player01 wrote:
You live in a world where Mandarin topolect doesn't exist and China has no official language yet. ... Then one day the government decides to make Cantonese the official language of China. ... Do you think you can still understand the contents correctly?

No, that would be very hard. However, we don't live in that world.

I think that when Shanghainese see standard Chinese written down they are able to read it because they recognise the characters. If they vocalise them, they can vocalise with Shanghainese pronunciation.

If standard Chinese were written in an alphabetic script, it would have to be in some dialect - say Mandarin - which doesn't match Shanghainese at all. And that would have to be learnt like a foreign language, ergo not be any kind of standard Chinese at all.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 88 of 132
21 May 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
For me, learning Chinese characters is great fun.
Yesterday I came across two new characters, and ... I have guessed how do you read it!
趔趄
I am sure it has something to do with movement.
I cannot guess the tone though.
I think if you know the radicals learning new words is easier if you sue Chinese characters, you have more to learn, but it's more vivid, and you have something like mnemonics to help you remember the pronunciation!
When am I learning Vietnamese I am trying to find the characters behind the script, because it makes it easier to remember.
I am talking only about Chinese loanwords.
Moreover the Chinese characters make you use less paper!
Harry Potter and Sorcerer's stone in Chinese has only 200 pages!
But you have to remember how to learn the characters, start with the most simple ones, and the rest will be like a walk in the park.
When learning Japanese I even learn non standard characters.
Simply because I like it.

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version