Diglot
Canada
Joined 4635 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 105 of 132
18 November 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Many people of various languages are illiterate and thus don't read or write, but communicate without problem by
speaking their language correctly, but concerning writing, pinyin seems kind of useless to me and I don't rely on it
for much in my learning although they are necessary for a beginner like me. I try to learn as quickly as possible to
read the characters alone to be done with pinyin as it's imprecise as to meaning. The characters on the other hand
seem very precise and efficient to me and the fact that they are complex images help me to remember their
meaning, as opposed to alphabetical images which are simple and don't always convey meaning easily. In polish, for
instance, I always get mixed up because of all the similar looking words with similar meanings. Although I'm only a
beginner, I don't find that same problem in chinese (it might come later of course).
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 106 of 132
19 November 2012 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
In reply to your example of 蝴蝶, if somebody saw 蝴 on it's own they would know it means butterfly. This is because the character 蝴 allows the sound hu2 to carry the meaning of butterfly. Without the character 蝴, hu2 could be 胡,湖,壶, etc. The characters allow the meanings to exist within them. I could write 蝴飞走了。 Would people understand that as the butterfly has flown away even though I only used the character 蝴? Yes. What if I said it out loud though "hu2 fei1 zou3 le", I don't think anyone would understand that. If I heard that, I'd be more likely to think "The beard has flown away."

Well, you could write that, but it'd be incorrect Mandarin. 蝴 is not a word. You wrote "One of the most unique aspects of Chinese is that each syllable of every single word, has a meaning of itself. Without characters, this is lost completely." My point is that this is a product of the writing system. The 蝴 of 蝴蝶 doesn't mean anything, because it's just a single syllable of a multi-syllable word. It only gains a pseudo-meaning because the writing system forces it to. To argue that a system is efficient because it's good at preserving anomalies it has itself created seems like a strange argument.

Quote:
As for the comparison of "they're" and "their" to the situation in Chinese... That's quite a stretch considering nearly every word in Mandarin has multiple synonyms, while in English, there are only so many words that have synonyms, and the amount per word never reaches as high of an amount as in Chinese.

Assuming you're talking about homophones, I'm not at all convinced that Mandarin has more homophones than English, and if it does, the difference isn't that large. A homophone is a word that sounds just like another word. English has quite a few homophones. People who talk about homophones in Mandarin usually talk about characters that sound like other characters, forgetting (as usual) that most characters aren't words. For a fair comparison, you'd have to include in a list of English homophones syllables like the "psy" in "psychology" and the "si" in "siamese twins". Such a list would be huge, just like one in Mandarin would be.

Quote:
Chinese see their language through characters, without characters, the language is gone.

Irrelevant. I have stated several times that I'm not advocating the abolishment of sinographs. I'm just trying to show you that it's not by any stretch of the imagination an efficient writing system.

Quote:
Tell me how pinyin or anything else could be more efficient than characters when A) they work already (99% literacy rate in Taiwan for example, and Taiwanese use complex characters)

The literacy rate in Taiwan is an anecdotal example and hardly proof of anything. The fact that focused schooling can make people literate isn't a surprise. I never claimed it was impossible to learn to read Chinese. Also note that the level of competence required to count as "literate" in at least Mainland China (don't know about Taiwan) is significantly lower that what is demanded of English speakers in the US. A Chinese child needs to be able to write 950 characters (as usual, nobody cares about words, just characters) to be considered literate, which isn't enough to write anything but the most basic of common words and phrases. I'd love to hear what the cutoff point is in Taiwan.

Let's compare for example the number of Chinese born abroad who speak Mandarin fluently but can't read or write it with the corresponding number for just about any other language. Or foreigners living in China who can speak but not read and write. Or look at Chinese who live for a long time abroad and how quickly they lose their writing ability. Or even native college-educated people who can't spell "sneeze". Let's examine the fact that this shopkeeper feels the need to phonetically annotate a character that's about as frequent as the English words "fudge" and "snail". Let's look at little things like this shopping list, written by a Chinese social science researcher (certainly considered "literate"), where three of the thirteen characters are rendered in pinyin. These are all signs that the writing system is difficult and cumbersome.

Quote:
and B) using another writing system would drastically change the language.

The spoken language wouldn't be affected one bit. People don't speak in characters. The written language would be brought somewhat closer in line with the spoken language, which was the very point of the baihua movement which made Mandarin a written language a hundred years ago. the slogan was "我手寫我口", "my hand writes my mouth". One wanted to move away from Literary Sinitic and write in the vernacular language Mandarin. Instead one has landed in a semi-vernacular semi-literary style which corresponds neither to the spoken language nor to the classical written one. To claim that the language would be "drastically changed" is hyperbole. Several books and academic papers have been and are being published in pinyin and nobody involved seems to feel the language has been "drastically changed". The way it's written down has been changed, but the language itself less so.

That's not really relevant, though, as you're once again arguing against the abolishment of the character system, which is not something I'm suggesting. Once again you're arguing that the writing system is efficient because it preserves an anomaly (the halfway-classical writing style) it has itself created.

Quote:
By the way, you're wrong about 翻. I would know. It's an actual word.可以帮我翻成中文吗?翻到那一页啊? Both sentences are examples of 翻 (fan1) being used as a verb to mean "to turn over" or "to translate".

My mistake; I apologize.

Edited by Ari on 19 November 2012 at 10:40am

8 persons have voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4338 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 107 of 132
19 November 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Synonyms? I think you mean homophones.

Yes hahaha :) thanks

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4338 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 

Message 108 of 132
19 November 2012 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Well, to me, any change in spoken Mandarin as a result of the loss of characters IS a drastic change. And of course, with just a handful of publications being published in pinyin (which is atrocious and should be banned), the language won't be affected. What about on a large scale though?

The average Taiwanese person knows at least 4000 characters. This is also the same with mainlanders. In Taiwan, after graduating from Highschool, you know at least 4000. People who go to university know more of course.

Edited by ZombieKing on 19 November 2012 at 3:06pm

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4338 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 

Message 109 of 132
19 November 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Until now I've decided to abstain from touching on the subject of actual difficulty in learning Chinese characters... But I guess it's worth talking about.

Chinese characters are easy.

90% of all characters are phonetic for crying out loud. Chinese does not use an "ideographic" (a very misleading term that shouldn't be used) script. Only a small amount of characters are actually pictographic for example.

Sure, with all the sound changes that Mandarin (for example) has gone through, many phonetic elements of characters no longer properly function as phonetic elements; however, the Mainland Chinese government has largely remedied that by simplifying about 1700 characters. Many characters that were no longer phonetic, became phonetic, and virtually all characters that were phonetic to begin with, remained phonetic.

Chinese characters are only hard to learn for foreigners that don't speak Chinese. If you speak Chinese, the characters are logical and easy (for the most part).

And don't bring up anything about illiterate people, as literacy has more to do with quality of education than quality of the writing system, as shown in my example of Taiwan.

So with that said, how are characters inefficient? They work, they're easy to learn, and they're logical. Except maybe to people who don't speak Chinese. But honestly, non Chinese, non native speakers of Chinese don't deserve to have any say in the fate of characters.

Edited by ZombieKing on 19 November 2012 at 3:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 110 of 132
20 November 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
And of course, with just a handful of publications being published in pinyin (which is atrocious and should be banned)

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure it's banned in China. They're great at banning stuff.

Quote:
The average Taiwanese person knows at least 4000 characters. This is also the same with mainlanders. In Taiwan, after graduating from Highschool, you know at least 4000. People who go to university know more of course.

Source? Also. "know" is a pretty fluid concept. I doubt they can write 4000 characters by hand. And I'm pretty sure 4000 is insufficient to be an effective reader, too.

ZombieKing wrote:
Chinese characters are easy.

Easy compared to what? Compared to a phonetic script? You can't be serious.

Quote:
90% of all characters are phonetic for crying out loud. Chinese does not use an "ideographic" (a very misleading term that shouldn't be used) script. Only a small amount of characters are actually pictographic for example.

Very true. I've heard the percentage 80%, but yeah, mostly phonetic(-signific compounds).

Quote:
Sure, with all the sound changes that Mandarin (for example) has gone through, many phonetic elements of characters no longer properly function as phonetic elements; however, the Mainland Chinese government has largely remedied that by simplifying about 1700 characters. Many characters that were no longer phonetic, became phonetic, and virtually all characters that were phonetic to begin with, remained phonetic.

The simplification process has far from "largely remedied" the problem. It's true that a few characters have been changed so they better represent Mandarin pronunciations (making them useless for other sinitic languages like Cantonese in the process, by the way), but it's a drop in the ocean. Compared to Mandarin "phonetic" characters, English orthography is a wonder of regularity.

Quote:
Chinese characters are only hard to learn for foreigners that don't speak Chinese. If you speak Chinese, the characters are logical and easy (for the most part).

Again, compared to what? If you're seriously claiming Chinese characters are easier to learn (for a native speaker) than pinyin is, I honestly don't know what to respond.

Quote:
So with that said, how are characters inefficient? They work, they're easy to learn, and they're logical.

Alright, I'm going to put out some things I hope we can both agree on. Let's see how far we get.

* Native, highly educated speakers of Mandarin who have been reading and writing it all their life often have trouble writing even common characters. Searching for 提筆忘字 on Google gives me over half a million hits. Quoting Victor Mair (here):

Quote:
I've seen people stumped by even the simplified form of the character for "shrimp," xiā 虾, never mind the traditional form, 蝦, and Demick tells of "literate" people who cannot write zàijiàn 再見 ("goodbye") or "shampoo" (there are several possibilities). Even before computers, exceedingly few people could write both characters for "sneeze" (pēntì 噴嚏, simplified 噴嚏 [same]); though I've asked scores, I personally have never met any Chinese, including individuals with master's and doctor's degrees, who could do so, and David Moser — much to his astonishment — had similar results (see his classic piece entitled "Why Chinese is So Damn Hard," written nearly twenty years ago; further extensive and very recent research by Moser has only strengthened and confirmed his original findings). Given that such a common word as "sneeze" cannot readily be written out by the vast majority of allegedly literate Chinese, one can only imagine what trouble they would have with a word like zhā 皻 or 齇 ("red flecks on the nose of a drunk person"). Well, they wouldn't have any trouble with the word zhā or the word pēntì (I hear people say the latter all the time; I've only heard the former spoken a couple of times); it's the characters for these words that flummox people.

And because I'm such a fan of Victor Mair, I'll throw in another quote (from Nontrivial Script Fail):

Quote:
In the thirty-five or so years that I have been teaching Mandarin and Literary Sinitic (Classical Chinese) to hundreds of native and non-native speakers, I have encountered (among others) the following categories of failure on the part of students to read and write the characters:

READING

a. has nary a clue as to the meaning and pronunciation of the character — draws a complete blank

b. has only a vague idea about the meaning and / or pronunciation of the character

c. can guess the rough, probable meaning of the character from context, but cannot pronounce it at all or can only make a stab at the pronunciation (often missing completely)

WRITING

a. knows more or less well the pronunciation and meaning of the character he / she wishes to write, but cannot put down even the first stroke for it

b. knows more or less well the pronunciation and meaning of the character he / she wishes to write, but can only sketch out parts of it without being able to complete the whole character is such a fashion that it would be recognized by others

c. knows more or less well the pronunciation and meaning of the character he / she wishes to write, and can almost write the entire character, but makes one or more errors, some of which are capable of causing the character to be misread or not / barely recognized by others

All of these types of errors are of a very different nature from those that are encountered in languages that use alphabets as their writing systems, since the reader of a text written with an alphabet can — with rare exceptions like the infamous made-up word "ghoti" — more or less accurately sound out the words with which they are confronted, and the writer who uses an alphabet to write a text can always approximate the sounds of the words he / she has in mind. Even though he or she may misspell some of the words more or less badly, the reader can usually make out what he / she intended.

(Note the "native and nonnative" part.)

* A phonetic system is fully capable of writing Mandarin. This is also incontestable to me. There are many examples. The publication of books in pinyin, for example. Or the significant amount of literature in romanized Taiwanese. Or hell, look at Dungan. It's a dialect of or language closely related to Mandarin (decent but not complete mutual intelligibility) which has been written in cyrillic since the fifties (and in Latin letters for a quarter of a century before that). They don't even indicate tone and still have no homophone problem, since context gives enough information, and in the few places where you might have confusion, they usually just use a different synonym (like writing "maidiao" for "sell" so it won't be confused with "buy"). And yes, they write plenty of formal texts, literature and poetry.

* The Chinese script has some severe limitations. Check out this article by David Moser, entitled "Some Things Chinese Characters Can’t Do-Be-Do-Be-Do". He demonstrates several limitations in the writing system which is not present in pinyin. Really, read it; it's super interesting.

The above points I trust are more or less objectively true. I would add that even the things that Chinese characters do that alphabetic systems don't it does rather badly. Chinese is filled with characters with multiple pronunciations, for example. And you have lots of characters with wildly diverging meanings that have nothing to do with each other. 長 can mean "long", but also "to grow" (probably etymologically related) and "skilled" (probably a phonetic loan). 花 can mean "flower" and "to spend (money)". 道 can mean "road, way" and whatever it means in words like 公道 and 知道 (I assure you it has nothing to do with roads). And of course most Mandarin grammatical particles are just characters that mean something completely unrelated, used because they sound vaguely similar to the characterless particles. This is aggravated by the simplification, which has given us beautiful pairings like "send out/hair", "queen/back" and "face/noodles".

Quote:
Except maybe to people who don't speak Chinese. But honestly, non Chinese, non native speakers of Chinese don't deserve to have any say in the fate of characters.

As far as I know, most people who have been calling for script reform have been Chinese. Lu Xun, called by many "the most important Chinese writer of the 20th century" famously said 漢字不滅,中國必亡 ("Unless Chinese characters disappear, China will perish"). Mao Zedong planned to replace the characters with pinyin, and he was Chinese, too. I'm not Chinese, of course, and I also don't advocate the abolishment of the characters. I'm making a statement about its efficiency, or lack thereof.

Edited by Ari on 20 November 2012 at 8:58am

10 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 111 of 132
20 November 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
For those who want a source on forgetting to write characters, here's an article about it: Wired youth forget how to write in China and Japan. Some select quotes:

Quote:
Yet aged just 21 and now a university student in Hong Kong, Li already finds that when she picks up a pen to write, the characters for words as simple as "embarrassed" have slipped from her mind.
"I can remember the shape, but I can't remember the strokes that you need to write it," she says. "It's a bit of a problem."

Quote:
A poll commissioned by the China Youth Daily in April found that 83 percent of the 2,072 respondents admitted having problems writing characters.

Quote:
"I've mostly forgotten characters I learned in middle and high school and I tend to forget the characters I only occasionally use."

Quote:
Character amnesia matters because memorisation is so crucial to character-based written languages, says Siok Wai Ting, assistant professor of linguistics at Hong Kong University. Forgetting how to write could eventually affect reading ability.
"There is no way we can learn the writing systematically because the writing itself is not systematic -- we have to memorise, we have to rote learn," she says.

(Emphasis mine. "Easy to learn", was it?)

Quote:
Chinese characters are so complex that the country's revolutionary leader Mao Zedong told the US journalist Edgar Snow in 1936: "Sooner or later, we believe, we will have to abandon characters altogether if we are to create a new social culture in which the masses fully participate."

Quote:
"The idea that China is a country full of people who write beautiful, fluid literature in characters without a second thought is a romantic fantasy," wrote the blogger and translator C. Custer on his Chinageeks blog.

Quote:
Still, both Li Hanwei and Zeng Ming have become so concerned about character amnesia that they keep handwritten diaries partly to ensure they don't forget how to write.

These quotes do not describe an "efficient" writing system.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 112 of 132
20 November 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
How do Chinese read?

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version