Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
132 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 16 17 Next >>
vientito
Canada
Joined 6147 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 113 of 132
20 November 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Need not worry about the fate of chinese words. We have already entered information age. The whole game is going to be played differently from now on.

if one asks me which is the champion of all writing systems in terms of ease and logics, I'd say this has to be hangul from korea. An average adult can learn it in 24 hours, and most importantly memorize it for goods!
2 persons have voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4987 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 114 of 132
23 November 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Yet aged just 21 and now a university student in Hong Kong, Li already finds that when she picks up a pen to write, the characters for words as simple as "embarrassed" have slipped from her mind.
"I can remember the shape, but I can't remember the strokes that you need to write it," she says. "It's a bit of a problem."

It's a word composed of characters being quite unusual : 尷尬, the number nine 九 is used as a radical here.

Many native speakers of all languages have sometimes problems with spelling.

Edited by clumsy on 23 November 2012 at 5:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 115 of 132
23 November 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
Many native speakers of all languages have sometimes problems with spelling.

That's incontestably true, of course. But there are some subtleties that are peculiar to Sinitic languages (and Japanese, to some extent):

* The figure 80% is arrived at in two different studies cited in the article. 80% have trouble writing characters. That's significantly higher than I believe you'll find in most other languages, though I don't have any studies to back it up.

* The phenomenon is as common in highly educated people. In most languages, the people with college and university degrees will have comparatively few spelling mistakes. This is not the case in Mandarin. Reposting a quote from Victor Mair I used earlier:

Victor Mair wrote:
Even before computers, exceedingly few people could write both characters for "sneeze" (pēntì 噴嚏, simplified 噴嚏 [same]); though I've asked scores, I personally have never met any Chinese, including individuals with master's and doctor's degrees, who could do so, and David Moser — much to his astonishment — had similar results (see his classic piece entitled "Why Chinese is So Damn Hard," written nearly twenty years ago; further extensive and very recent research by Moser has only strengthened and confirmed his original findings).

Note that Victor Mair, professor in Chinese linguistics who travels to China and Taiwan regularly, teaches Literary Sinitic, whose wife is Taiwanese, has never met a single person who could write the word "sneeze" unaided by a computer, when prompted, even though he's asked "scores", including people with master's and doctor's degrees (probably often degrees in Chinese linguistics). Imagine a professor of English holding a doctor's degree who could not, when asked, write on a piece of paper a word as common as "sneeze" without checking with her cell phone. Yet in Mandarin this is more than just the norm, it's almost without exceptions.

* The very nature of the spelling mistake is different. Again Victor Mair:

Victor Mair wrote:
WRITING

a. knows more or less well the pronunciation and meaning of the character he / she wishes to write, but cannot put down even the first stroke for it

b. knows more or less well the pronunciation and meaning of the character he / she wishes to write, but can only sketch out parts of it without being able to complete the whole character is such a fashion that it would be recognized by others

c. knows more or less well the pronunciation and meaning of the character he / she wishes to write, and can almost write the entire character, but makes one or more errors, some of which are capable of causing the character to be misread or not / barely recognized by others

All of these types of errors are of a very different nature from those that are encountered in languages that use alphabets as their writing systems, since the reader of a text written with an alphabet can — with rare exceptions like the infamous made-up word "ghoti" — more or less accurately sound out the words with which they are confronted, and the writer who uses an alphabet to write a text can always approximate the sounds of the words he / she has in mind. Even though he or she may misspell some of the words more or less badly, the reader can usually make out what he / she intended.

---

The situation with writing in Sinitic languages is on a completely different scale compared with the spelling problems in languages with alphabetic writing systems. Not only is the holder of a doctor's degree in my example above unable to correcly spell the word, she's likely to even be unable to write it down in a fashion that will make it recognizeable to a reader. There's no comparing that to an English speaker forgetting how many 'l's there are in 'parallel' or misplacing an apostrophe.
10 persons have voted this message useful

alphabetsoup
United States
Joined 4405 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 116 of 132
27 November 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
As many in this thread have stated, the use of hanzi helps reduce ambiguity when reading. While there have been
problems of people forgetting how to write commonly used words or phrases, I think the problems of using
characters are greatly outweighed by the pain of having everything written in a phonetic script.

What I also don't understand is the overwhelming support of pinyin being used as the phonetic alphabet. When I
took Chinese in school and from a private tutor, the teacher introduced Chinese sounds by having us learn
consonants (bo po mo fo de te ne le) and rhymes and medials (a o ang eng er). The Taiwanese system of zhuyin
fuhao/bopomofo works better in the way the language is taught and understood by native Chinese, in my opinion.

Instead of completely eradicating hanzi, why not simply introduce a sort of furigana for uncommon characters? It
would remove many of the problems most people have with a character system overall.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4253 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 117 of 132
27 November 2012 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Whether you like Chinese characters or not there is over 2000 years of history to it.
When the Chinese first started to inscribe their words on turtle shells, there was never
any plan to spell the sounds phonetically like in the ancient Near-East and later spread
to Europe including Greeks and Romans.

And throughout history China has always been a class society divided into 2. The Emperor,
the royal family with his court officials on top and peasants & laborers at the bottom.
Knowing how to read the old Chinese classics and write could get people promoted to the
civil service. There was no effort to adopt a phonetic system like the Koreans. The most
they came up with after the communist revolution was a simplified version of the
characters to extend education to the masses.

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6135 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 118 of 132
28 November 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Because Chinese writing system is so hard that even educated Chinese forget how to spell without consulting a dictionary, I think it makes perfect sense to learn only to read characters. Learning just to read them (3000-3500 to read a newspaper) is already a daunting task, and will take 2-3 years of intensive study. Learning to write them by hand would increase that amount of time at least two-fold, if not more.

If even Chinese people can't master this skill after many years in school, who of us is ready to dedicate half of their life to get that sort of recognition that any 18-year old graduate from a European school can get without much extra effort, and which is no recognition at all in European languages.

Life is all about priorities. If you're a dedicated scholar, who made the study of Chinese literature the goal of your life, it makes sense, although this sense is not obvious either. You need to read first, write second, and who needs to read your scribbles these computer-age days anyway. So, in my personal studies of Mandarin I chose to ignore learning to write characters by hand. So far I haven't regretted this decision. Visual memory helps remember the character shape and recognize it in text, as long as there is a lot of practise, of course. Sacrificing less important for more important is how the world works.

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6468 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 119 of 132
28 November 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Most people can't really write by hand in the west anymore either. Cursive letters are often illegible to people under

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5768 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 120 of 132
28 November 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
leonidus wrote:
You need to read first, write second, and who needs to read your scribbles these computer-age days anyway. So, in my personal studies of Mandarin I chose to ignore learning to write characters by hand.

For those of us who interact with native speakers on a regular basis in daily life, being able to hand write is a must as well as being able to read handwriting. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people vigorously use white boards or had to read someones' handwritten note at a gathering about say putting your name on paper cups, read handwritten name tags, etc.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version