132 messages over 17 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 16 17 Next >>
Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 49 of 132
22 October 2009 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I think he confuses modern written Chinese with the modern form of classical Chinese, which was still in use as THE written language until recently. The issue we are discussing in this thread has nothing at all to do with reconstructing old pronunciations. Modern written vernacular is similar to spoken Chinese. Naturally, the more scholarly the medium, the more different the text will be from the spoken language, but mainly in VOCABULARY, just like in any other language. When a Chinese person reads his newspaper, he hears the sounds represented in pinyin, at least if he's native form is Mandarin.
1 person has voted this message useful

Qinshi
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5547 days ago

115 posts - 183 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, English
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 50 of 132
24 October 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
As a learner of Chinese and learner of Vietnamese's old Chinese style script called Chu Nom, I can say that although you need about 3 to 4000 characters to be literate, Chinese characters are perfectly suited to Chinese and remarkably suited to Vietnamese (albeit not 100%).

Although to many, learning characters is painstaking...as for the many Chinese languages it is a good tool for communication which can bridge dialects and languages. Don't forget that it is the culmination of thousands of years of Chinese history and culture and the Chinese are a proud peoples. Lastly, there is the issue of homophones. Although Vietnamese has a lot of homophones, it is nothing compared to Mandarin. Trying to communicate in Mandarin using pinyin is futile, especially when it comes to more advanced subjects.

In summary:

1. Although it is painstaking to learn so many characters, they are a good tool for bridging across many Chinese languages/dialects.
2. It has a huge cultural significance to the Chinese.
3. It helps greatly with the issue of homophony.

Edited by Qinshi on 24 October 2009 at 9:57am

3 persons have voted this message useful

knadolny
Diglot
United States
capturingchinese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5308 days ago

11 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese

Message 51 of 132
27 October 2009 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I think this topic was argued vehemently in pre-revolutionary China. Illiteracy was a big problem back then and they were looking for a way to teach not yet a billion people how to read. Some scholars were fans of Esperanto and others pushed for the simplification of the characters. I believe Taiwan has almost 100% literacy so learning the Characters can be done.

Now it might be inefficient to learn, but once you learn the characters they are unbelievably concise. You can write a four character sentence instead of a paragraph of English. Not to mention the good points made above.

On my first trip to Japan, I was so excited I could read just about everything here and sad when I went to Korea where I could read nothing. The characters have an amazing power to unite the Chinese culture. It's one reason why China could stay unified for so much longer than the Roman empire.

Saraneth
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 52 of 132
27 October 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:

Well, its not a a big task. If English speaking people can disambiguate orally /'raɪt/
what is written as write, rite, right and wright, then why not Chinese?

English-speakers can disambiguate homophones in a conversation based on context, which is also how people
understand spoken Chinese. Even in English, if you throw out a word /'raɪt/ in conversation without a sentence to
go along with it, people aren't going to be sure what you're talking about.

If all those versions of write/rite/right/wright are spelled the exact same way, and you have a dozen more words
spelled the exact same way but with different meanings, you're going to run into some problems with the efficiency
of written communication using an alphabet.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6110 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 53 of 132
27 October 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Obviously the effort required to learn at least 3000 characters is a huge burden. But once you know them, they actually make reading easier, so I would have to say yes and no: yes for acquisition, but no for actually reading and using them once you have them.
The main reason why I say no, is that unlike in English for example, if you run into a word you've never seen before, you very often only have the context to save you from using a dictionary. Whereas in Chinese, you have the additional benefit of knowing the individual meanings of the characters. I've heard legal and medical texts in Chinese are actually easy to read because of their straightforwardness and literal use of character meaning, probably not unlike Latin with regards to such texts in English.

MinTeoh
New Zealand
learnchineseeveryday
Joined 5300 days ago

5 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 54 of 132
28 October 2009 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Chinese characters have thousands years of history, while pinyin system has less than 50
years.
Levi wrote:
There's a reason you've never seen anyone with a Pinyin tattoo.

Edited by MinTeoh on 28 October 2009 at 5:44am

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 55 of 132
28 October 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
MinTeoh wrote:
Chinese characters have thousands years of history, while pinyin system has less than 50
years.
Levi wrote:

I think the real reason is homophony, no-one would be able to tell if your tattoo said "strength" or "dysentery"
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 56 of 132
28 October 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
MinTeoh wrote:
years.
Levi wrote:

I think the real reason is homophony, no-one would be able to tell if your tattoo said "strength" or "dysentery"

No, people get Chinese character tatoos because characters are awesome. How often do you see somebody with an English "Strength" tatoo?

This admiration of a foreign writing system seems to be pretty much limited to Chinese; don't see many tatoos (or t-shirts even) featuring Arabic or Thai just for the heck of it. However, in China I saw one t-shirt with loads of English consonants arranged into strings of words...

Edited by Sprachprofi on 28 October 2009 at 9:59am

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version