Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6563 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 41 of 132
21 October 2009 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
It seems pretty clear that you can't "convert" Classical Chinese to an alphabet or transcription method that purports
to be phonetic, because we have no native speakers of that language and no way of knowing for sure how anything
is pronounced.

Plus, if Chinese is anything like Japanese, there's a lot of subtle information that can be conveyed through one's
choice of characters. That would be lost in the conversion to a phonetic transcription.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5316 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 42 of 132
21 October 2009 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:

Plus, if Chinese is anything like Japanese, there's a lot of subtle information that can be conveyed through one's
choice of characters. That would be lost in the conversion to a phonetic transcription.

Yes, there certainly is an amount of rather subtle information about words in the choice of character in Chinese too. Their MEANING is one example.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 43 of 132
21 October 2009 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
The characters are an integral part of Chinese culture. Chinese people are proud of them, and for good reason, as the characters are undoubtedly very beautiful. There's a reason you've never seen anyone with a Pinyin tattoo.
6 persons have voted this message useful

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5309 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 44 of 132
21 October 2009 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
OMG this is what I was looking for!

Chinese written in a way so that you can read and pronounce. Can u tell me more about that?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 132
22 October 2009 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
It's called romanization. There are a couple of systems around, and I'm quite sure that pinyin is the most used.

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5613 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 46 of 132
22 October 2009 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
It seems pretty clear that you can't "convert" Classical
Chinese to an alphabet or transcription method that purports to be phonetic, because we
have no native speakers of that language and no way of knowing for sure how anything is
pronounced.

At first glance, that makes sense, but there were precedents already where Classical
Chinese and Middle Chinese were reconstructed phonetically. This was done by Bernhard
Kalgren for Classical Chinese and Edwin Pulleyblank for Middle Chinese. An example of
this is found on page 156 of John deFrancis's book "The Chinese language: fact and
fantasy" which can be viewed on Google books, where 'teacher' (先生) is reconstructed
as *tsiənseng, after comparing modern xiānsheng (Mandarin), sensei (Japanese), sŏnsaeng
(Korean), and tiên-sinh (Vietnamese). Besides , it doesnt need to be 'sure', it just
needs to be 'highly likely'.

Gusutafu wrote:

Why is this so difficult?
1. In written Chinese there are lots of homophones
2. This is not because of diglossa, it's because the written vocabulary is larger
4. Pinyin represents the SOUNDS of the language faithfully
5. If you HEAR "yánzhèng", this could either mean "inflammation" or "cancer"
6. The respective characters for yan are different, so if you SEE the words you'll know
7. Spoken Chinese has fewer homophones, but people still sometimes have to explain
which character they meant when they just said shi.

Because as Phillip Dick says it "Reality is what won't go away when you stop believing
in it."

How can pinyin represents the sounds of the language faithfully when the oral and
written languages are different, as stated in an earlier post "in the higher registers,
it approaches Classical Chinese"? Pinyin represents Modern Chinese, not Classical
Chinese. Pinyin is one way of reading hanzi.   

Gusutafu wrote:

Note that it might be possible to CHANGE the language so that the written language
could be represented in pinyin, by resolving homophones. This would entail longer
words, or new syllables that didn't exist before, and teaching this new language to a
billion people would be quite a task.

As a matter of fact, these reconstructed syllables are the purported pronunciations of
Classical Chinese, so they are arguably in existence before. See my illustrations of 先
生 above.

Well, its not a a big task. If English speaking people can disambiguate orally /'raɪt/
what is written as write, rite, right and wright, then why not Chinese?

Gusutafu wrote:
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:
Yes, its nonsense. A lot of ancient languages are
not logographic yet can be understood. Ancient Egyptian, Ancient Hebrew, etc. There's a
long writing tradition in Chinese so commentaries and quotations in Literary Chinese of
Classical Chinese would be a big help.

Are you mad? Do you actually think that it is because Classical Chinese is ancient that
it has to be written with characters? Chinese has a completely different structure from
Egyptian and Hebrew. Semitic languages are pretty similar to Indo-european ones. Also,
using Ancient Egyptian as a proof is quite hilarious. Or did you think that
hieroglyphic writing was alphabetic?

No, I am not mad, its only because you think I think what you think I think. I know
that Classical Chinese is isolating/analytic, moreso than Modern Chinese, and that
Hebrew/Egyptian are mixed fusional and agglutinative.

Well, its quite evident here who is short of facts. Hieroglyphics is indeed alphabetic.

Gusutafu wrote:

In short: you have completely misunderstood the issue. Almost everything you write
above is incorrect.

I don't think so. A lot of sinologists thinks so too that it is possible to romanize. I
think its the other way around.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 22 October 2009 at 12:16pm

cameroncrc
Diglot
United States
Joined 6312 days ago

195 posts - 185 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 47 of 132
22 October 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I would be truly devasted to see the use of pinyin take over characters. They are difficult to learn and take a lot of hard work, but that isn't the issue. So many great traditions and values are dying today for the sake of "efficiency". I think people need to reevaluate their priorites. Chinese writing is beautiful and is the product of thousands of years of language evolution. It's a part of Chinese culture. I would hate to see it's place taken by some 'universal' system. That sort of mentality is leading the world away from multi-lingualism.

On the other hand, it won't happen with Japanese. The kana system not organized well enough to stand on it's own.
2 persons have voted this message useful

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6645 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 48 of 132
22 October 2009 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:

How can pinyin represents the sounds of the language faithfully when the oral and
written languages are different, as stated in an earlier post "in the higher registers,
it approaches Classical Chinese"? Pinyin represents Modern Chinese, not Classical
Chinese. Pinyin is one way of reading hanzi.

I'm not following you here. Just because the phrasing and structure approaches classical Chinese doesn't mean it is read with a reconstructed pronunciation. It is read in Mandarin, or whichever topolect is spoken by the reader. Help me see your logic here, because I'm having an awfully hard time following how you reached this conclusion just because the formal written language is different than the colloquial spoken language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version