Your favorite language program?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
376 messages over 47 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 46 47 Next >>
habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5355 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 145 of 376
05 August 2010 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
As mentioned earlier several times, the teach yourself contents have been deteriorating. Most people who buy the books don't finish them, so the content has become skimpy and unrealistic.

As others say, go for and collect the older editions!
1 person has voted this message useful

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5128 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 146 of 376
10 August 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm using Colloquial right now for Albanian and I find it really bad. Had questions to do on something that hadn't been covered yet, which makes self-learning difficult. Unfortunately there's not much else out there for the language.

In general I like anything audio based. I'm even thinking of making my own audio (based on Pimsleur) for Khasi so I can listen to it on my ipod.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Strato
Canada
Joined 5290 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 148 of 376
15 August 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 

>> The best course I have is Russian For Everybody.

Hi Fanatic,

Who is the author / publisher of the Russian for Everybody course that you mentioned? It sounds interesting but on Amazon there are many publications called Russian for Everybody -- Baker, Kostomarov, Stepanova, and Babalova. Could you post a direct link?

Thanks in advance.

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6927 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 149 of 376
19 August 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Strato wrote:

Hi Fanatic,

Who is the author / publisher of the Russian for Everybody course that you mentioned? It sounds interesting but on Amazon there are many publications called Russian for Everybody -- Baker, Kostomarov, Stepanova, and Babalova. Could you post a direct link?

Thanks in advance.

There have been a number of editions. The program I have in mind has Kostomarov as the editor. I have several editions. The latest is dated 1984 and is written in English as the teaching language. According to the preface there is also a recorded supplement, a workbook, a speaking and grammar book with English translations and a teacher's manual.

I also have the first edition which dates back to the early 70s with Manual, textbook, recorded supplement, dictionary, reader, grammar and a speaking and fun and games book.

There was a second edition that was released with amended texts and 7 inch records instead of the original 10 inch long play records.

I see in some of the supplementary books for the 1984 edition that Robert L Baker is named as the author of the Preface. That helps make some sense of the listings in Amazon.com. He has adapted the books for English readers.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Strato
Canada
Joined 5290 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 150 of 376
19 August 2010 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Hi Fanatic - thanks for the info re Kostomarov /Baker -- much appreciated.

habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5355 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 151 of 376
20 August 2010 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
Strato wrote:

Hi Fanatic,

Thanks in advance.

There have been a number of editions. The program I have in mind has Kostomarov as the editor. I have several editions. The latest is dated 1984 and is written in English as the teaching language. According to the preface there is also a recorded supplement, a workbook, a speaking and grammar book with English translations and a teacher's manual.

I also have the first edition which dates back to the early 70s with Manual, textbook, recorded supplement, dictionary, reader, grammar and a speaking and fun and games book.

There was a second edition that was released with amended texts and 7 inch records instead of the original 10 inch long play records.

I see in some of the supplementary books for the 1984 edition that Robert L Baker is named as the author of the Preface. That helps make some sense of the listings in Amazon.com. He has adapted the books for English readers.

habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5355 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 

Message 152 of 376
20 August 2010 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
The book by Stepanova is in Spanish, Ruso para Todos. It is a whole set of 6-7 beginners' books that dates from the communist era. I find it very good 35 years after I used it first in Venezuela. Sometimes it's available from used book sources.

habadzi wrote:
fanatic wrote:
Strato wrote:

Hi Fanatic,

Thanks in advance.

This discussion contains 376 messages over 47 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version