Norway
Joined 5248 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 73 of 100
08 February 2010 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
I know about Catalan/Valencian and Romanian/Moldavan and thought about them before I
posted, but those actually seem like counterexamples to me. Valencians insist their language is actually separate
so it should have a different name, and Moldovans insist their language is actually Romanian and shouldn't have
a different name.

Well, some Valencians insist on them being different languages. If you actually compare the Catalan spoken and
written in Catalonia and the Valencian spoken and written in Valencia, you'll find so many similarties that it is
hard to see how anyone could come to the conclusion that they are different languages and not dialects/variants
of the same language. In my view this is just as absurd as someone insisting on that in Austria they don't speak
German, in the Unitied States and Australia they don't speak English and in Mexico and Chile they don't speak
Spanish.

Astrophel wrote:
But Dutch and Flemish insist on separate names for what they agree are the same language,
which is just confusing.

My impression is that they are not really insisting, rather just using different names.

Edited by tractor on 08 February 2010 at 12:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 74 of 100
08 February 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
I know about Catalan/Valencian and Romanian/Moldavan and thought about them before I posted, but those actually seem like counterexamples to me. Valencians insist their language is actually separate so it should have a different name, and Moldovans insist their language is actually Romanian and shouldn't have a different name. But Dutch and Flemish insist on separate names for what they agree are the same language, which is just confusing. Serbian and Croatian are at least using different scripts so I can sort of see the logic there. Malaysian and Indonesian is a good comparison though.

Serbian (and Montenegrin) can be expressed either in Cyrillic or Latin script. Yet I doubt that anyone in the Balkans would define Serbian or Montenegrin expressed in Cyrillic script as a different language from Serbian or Montenegrin expressed in the Latin script.

In an analogous way if it were mandated that American English could be expressed henceforth either in a new Cyrillic alphabet or the Latin alphabet, would that then make American English in Cyrillic a different language from British or Canadian English, or even American English that's expressed with the conventional alphabet?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rabochnok
Diglot
Colombia
Joined 5405 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Turkish, Persian

Message 75 of 100
08 February 2010 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Persian in Iran, Dari in Afghanistan, Tajiki in Tajikistan, for another example of different names in different countries (both in their own countries and among foreigners discussing them).

Edited by Rabochnok on 08 February 2010 at 2:07am

Rabochnok
Diglot
Colombia
Joined 5405 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Turkish, Persian

Message 76 of 100
08 February 2010 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

In an analogous way if it were mandated that American English could be expressed henceforth either in a new Cyrillic alphabet or the Latin alphabet, would that then make American English in Cyrillic a different language from British or Canadian English, or even American English that's expressed with the conventional alphabet?

At first, no. But if it persisted long enough (I don't know how long, though), and enough culture was produced in it (literature, etc.; but what's "enough"?).... maybe. It'd depend on how the people using it felt, I guess.

Edited by Rabochnok on 08 February 2010 at 2:14am

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5316 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 77 of 100
08 February 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Rabochnok wrote:
Chung wrote:

At first, no. But if it persisted long enough (I don't know how long, though), and enough culture was produced in it (literature, etc.; but what's "enough"?).... maybe. It'd depend on how the people using it felt, I guess.

Well, a lot of South Slavs insist that Serbian, Croatian and even Bosnian are separate languages, there are probably even people that put Montengrin as a separate language. The differences within Serbia are not much smaller than between Serbia and Croatia, it's just a political thing.

Edited by Gusutafu on 08 February 2010 at 1:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Aleksey Groz
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5164 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian*, English, Czech, FrenchB2

Message 78 of 100
29 April 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
kieran wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but one that I frequently come across with
non-linguists and various simpletons is the misconception that Romanian is a Slavic
language and not a Romance language. Can anyone think of any others?

There could be two reasons:
1) as someone already said, many Eastern European languages are/were (wrongly) considered
as Slavic.
2) 30% of Romanian vocabulary is of Slavic origin! (I think that this could be a real
reason of that misunderstanding)

Aleksey Groz
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5164 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian*, English, Czech, FrenchB2

Message 79 of 100
29 April 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
Serbian and Croatian are at least using different scripts so I can
sort of see the logic there.

Serbian uses both Cyrillic and Latin scripts, so this can not be an argument.   

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6163 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 80 of 100
29 April 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Aleksey Groz wrote:
kieran wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but one that I frequently come across with
non-linguists and various simpletons is the misconception that Romanian is a Slavic
language and not a Romance language. Can anyone think of any others?

There could be two reasons:
1) as someone already said, many Eastern European languages are/were (wrongly) considered
as Slavic.
2) 30% of Romanian vocabulary is of Slavic origin! (I think that this could be a real
reason of that misunderstanding)

From what I've seen of Romanian, it doesn't look Romance at all. From the superficial aspects of it, we'd assume it was Slavic.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version