Guatemala
Joined 5330 days ago

147 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 17 of 100
19 November 2009 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Then there are the hebrewphiles, who like to think ancient Hebrew is related to almost every modern language. (There's even a crackpot "Hebrew origins of Japanese" theory.)

I've heard about the Hebrew-Japanese connection before, there are claims that hiragana and katakana are based on Hebrew characters too and there are those who think Japanese people have Israelite origin. Look at this video from Japan for example, interesting theory.
1 person has voted this message useful

Dainty
United States
Joined 5279 days ago

38 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 18 of 100
21 November 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
pookiebear79 wrote:
It's annoying when people think Dutch is the same thing as German. When I first started studying Dutch I would have to explain to people that no, it's not the language spoken in Germany. I realize that English 'Dutch' and the German word for the German language, 'Deutsch' are similar, but that's really no excuse. And what really cracks me up when somebody feels the need to "explain" it all (as if talking to a child)by launching into a discussion about how words from older Germanic languages/dialects looked similar and give examples of how it developed over the last several hundred years or whatever...I don't think that factors into it, really. (Despite the person feeling the need to give an unsolicited history lesson on the evolution of Germanic languages and how the names for the languages/people have evolved.)

Because, let's face it, the vast majority of people who don't know Dutch is what is spoken in the Netherlands, (let alone that it's also Flemish in Belgium, which would further confuse the issue) not German, are not likely to be confused because they've spent so much time studying the history of Germanic languages that their scholarly knowledge of linguistics is overloading their head, but due to a lack of geographical/cultural knowledge on their part.

Another thing that I surmise contributes to the confusion is the mislabeling of the "Pennsylvania Dutch" language spoken in Amish communities throughout the US. Technically it is Pennsylvania German, but if you call it that either no one will know what you're talking about or someone will say, "Oh, you mean Pennsylvania Dutch?" :P I think having a German dialect blatantly labeled as Dutch really cements the misconception that there is little difference between the two.

Edited by Dainty on 21 November 2009 at 5:37pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 19 of 100
21 November 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I have never heard of that before, confusing Dutch with German. I do have two similar ones, though:

I knew this Austrian girl, who thought that since Swedish is a "Germanic" language, it was somehow a historical dialect of German, that had turned into a language. I tried to explain to her that it was something of a coincidence that the language family almost had the same name, it might have been called Northern or Norse or Borean or anything at all really, but she thought I was just trying to make excuses and that the relationship between German and Swedish weren't in fact quite symmetric.

Another thing, I have often had this happen to me:

Japanese person: So where are you from?
Me: Sweden.
Japanese person: Interesting, what language do you speak in Sweden.
Me: !
Me: ?
Me: ...

It is not uncommon that they actually think that we speak English in Sweden. What a monstrous idea. Considering that most countries around Japan have their own languages, I don't know where this comes from.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 20 of 100
22 November 2009 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:

Another thing, I have often had this happen to me:

Japanese person: So where are you from?
Me: Sweden.
Japanese person: Interesting, what language do you speak in Sweden.
Me: !
Me: ?
Me: ...

It is not uncommon that they actually think that we speak English in Sweden. What a monstrous idea. Considering that most countries around Japan have their own languages, I don't know where this comes from.

Strange. I've usually had people from Japan (and to a lesser extent, North America) think that because I live in Switzerland, I must speak Swedish.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6562 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 21 of 100
22 November 2009 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Japanese people tend to be almost as uninformed about Europe and the West as Europeans are about the Far East,
unfortunately.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 22 of 100
22 November 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
Japanese people tend to be almost as uninformed about Europe and the West as Europeans are about the Far East,
unfortunately.

I am not so sure. Japanese often have pretty reasonable ideas about the Swedish welfare system, and they know about Pippi Longstocking and IKEA, so the reason must be more specific. Even Americans don't assume that we speak English in Sweden.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6562 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 23 of 100
22 November 2009 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Well, Japanese have certainly heard of most European countries, including Sweden, but the average bloke-on-
the-street's knowledge of some of them might consist mostly to stereotypes. For example, ask any Japanese kid
what he or she knows about Finland, and the answer will be that that's where Santa Claus lives.

maaku
United States
Joined 5368 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 24 of 100
22 November 2009 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
Even Americans don't assume that we speak English in Sweden.

Perhaps, but quite a few of my fellow countrymen would tell you that they speak Swedish in Switzerland. And many still confuse Japanese with Chinese (despite an entire generation having fought a world war where one was an ally and the other the enemy...)

Certainly not all; not even most. But enough to make you wonder.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version