Romania
Joined 5873 days ago

14 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 9 of 100
13 November 2009 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
kieran wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but one that I frequently come across with non-linguists and various simpletons is the misconception that Romanian is a Slavic language and not a Romance language. Can anyone think of any others?

I get that so much that I stopped caring loooooong ago.

A few days ago I went to a Turkish restaurant in Germany. There the owner heard me saying "da" on the phone, from which point he proceeded to talk to me in a very broken Slavic language that I couldn't identify (thanks to his terrible accent, not my ignorance about languages :p). I tried to explain to him in German and English that I didn't understand a word of what he was saying, but he didn't seem to care.

He then kept asking me in a broken German something like "wohir komms du?", to which I kept answering "Rumänien, Rumänien", and every time I said that he switched back to this Slavic language that he somehow associated with me. After 5 minutes of such conversation, he asked me again in broken German something like "wie sag Rumänisch gute abend?", to which I answered "Buna Seara!". He freaked out, went away mumbling to himself "Spanien, Spanien", and probably still believes to this day that I was just making fun of him. Heh!

A similar experience - I played a concert in Texas, in front of a jury of a music contest. The president of the jury announced "So we are going to hear now Mr [myname] from Romania. Let's welcome him". He waits until I come on stage, and then with a big smile on his face he looks at me and says "Dobre dan!!" (meaning "good day" in some South-Slavic languages). I decided to play dumb, and I asked him something like "come again?". He repeated that, completely amazed by the fact that I wasn't extremely happy to hear how he took the time to learn something in "my language", and how I didn't seem to understand what he was saying.

Whatever, these things happen. As I said, it's been a long time since I stopped caring. It's not fair to expect everyone to be as interested in the history and geography of languages as the posters here on this forum.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5694 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 10 of 100
14 November 2009 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
A possible general misconception: When I was a university student, I was told many, many times that the first foreign language is much more difficult to learn that the second one. Often, it was people in the foreign language department who said this, and everyone seemed to believe it without questioning (yes, I did too!).

I doubt that this it is true in any meaningful sense, and certainly not in all cases. If your second foreign language is closely related to the first, it might be so. If not, it seems just as likely to be equally difficult.   

That one's first foreign language is the hardest to learn and that afterwards learning additional languages becomes noticeably easier is (in my experience at least) completely true. When I picked up German at 30 years of age with no foreign language-learning experience (I learned English naturally at school from a very young age) I struggled greatly with it. It took me a lot of effort to master the basics, but when I started Russian just six months later I assimilated it with little difficulty, even though the latter is objectively much tougher for an English speaker. I then went on to study several other languages further removed from my own, and none of them have been harder for me than my first one. It's not only that I have learned how one particular system of grammar works and then applied it elsewhere, but that I have learned how to learn languages.

Edited by Juan M. on 14 November 2009 at 7:54pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5762 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 100
14 November 2009 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
It might be true, as you have written. I was thinking more of my own experience with the first foreign language compared to the second. Of course, my experience is personal and not universal, so I understand that other learners will have other thoughts.

German seemed far more difficult to me than Spanish, but I did learn it much faster, working on my own.

I hope your experience becomes mine--that gives me some good encouragement for future language study! Time will tell . . .
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6810 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 100
15 November 2009 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Juan M. wrote:
That one's first foreign language is the hardest to learn and that afterwards learning additional languages becomes noticeably easier is (in my experience at least) completely true.

I agree.

Juan M. wrote:
I have learned how to learn languages.

Exactly.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5762 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 100
15 November 2009 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
OK, I stand corrected. Perhaps there was simply a too-long time gap between my first and second foreign languages, and my own language-learning experience may well have been very different if that had not been the case. At any rate, I should not overgeneralize my own experiences, and I hope that the next language is easier!

I'm still learning how to learn languages. Maybe I am the one with the misconception--entirely possible.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5704 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 14 of 100
15 November 2009 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
That all Scandinavians speak German. We don't. Those of us who studied it in school might be able to pull out a "darf ich one of those haben?" in a pinch, but most people aren't conversational in German at ALL.

Also, that all Germans speak impeccable English. Some of them do, but not all of them. Same thing here. I remember meeting someone in Germany who was maybe 35 years old, who spoke no English at all.

Chung wrote:
Hungarian is sometimes considered to be a Slavonic language by the uninitiated from outside Eastern Europe. The basis is that they fall into the trap of "Well, all those Eastern Europeans talk the same way."

I remember a British comedian making fun of some Hungarian politician a few years back, using a last name ending in -ski (not the person's real name), assuming that sort of name was the obvious and most common thing in Hungary. I wish people would do the bare minimum of research before they start making fun of things relating to other countries, it just makes them look ignorant. Now that we have Wikipedia and Google, there are really no excuses.
3 persons have voted this message useful

pookiebear79
Groupie
United States
Joined 5825 days ago

76 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Swedish, Italian

Message 15 of 100
17 November 2009 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
It's annoying when people think Dutch is the same thing as German. When I first started studying Dutch I would have to explain to people that no, it's not the language spoken in Germany. I realize that English 'Dutch' and the German word for the German language, 'Deutsch' are similar, but that's really no excuse. And what really cracks me up when somebody feels the need to "explain" it all (as if talking to a child)by launching into a discussion about how words from older Germanic languages/dialects looked similar and give examples of how it developed over the last several hundred years or whatever...I don't think that factors into it, really. (Despite the person feeling the need to give an unsolicited history lesson on the evolution of Germanic languages and how the names for the languages/people have evolved.)

Because, let's face it, the vast majority of people who don't know Dutch is what is spoken in the Netherlands, (let alone that it's also Flemish in Belgium, which would further confuse the issue) not German, are not likely to be confused because they've spent so much time studying the history of Germanic languages that their scholarly knowledge of linguistics is overloading their head, but due to a lack of geographical/cultural knowledge on their part.

One of the reasons this has been bothering me is the annoying students on the Michel Thomas Dutch courses. Yes, this is a weird example/reason, but it is related. The students' mistakes (specifically pronunciation) don't seem to be because their native English is interfering or the sounds are hard, but because they think they should be talking as in German (instead of what the teacher just pronounced for them.) So they keep trying to pronounce words as if they were talking some awful thing that is neither Dutch nor German.

In other words, they sound like people whose bad high school German is interfering, because there are many words they keep saying like it's supposed to be German, not Dutch, and they seem unable to overcome this. If they were native speakers of German that would make sense, but they're English.

OK, this is getting a bit off track, but the annoying thing is that English is also close to Dutch...so if the learners were having interference/difficulty because or their native language being English, it would make sense, but instead it seems to feed into some people's inability to understand that Dutch and German are related, *not* the same thing. (It's sort of like how some people assume If you know one then you can easily speak to the other without confusion.)They're not THAT close. I can understand some written German due to my knowledge of Dutch (not because English is my native language, though, because the vocabulary is more transparent with Dutch than English in my experience,) but that hardly makes them anywhere near 'mutually intelligible.'

I guess that last paragraph illustrates another misconception. I often see it stated, "If you know x language, then you've got related y language too." While you may have an easier and much quicker time learning the related language and certainly can understand much of it right away due to the similar vocabulary, they are still not the same language, and still have different spelling, pronunciation, grammar peculiarities, etc. An Italian may understand some of what someone says to them in Spanish, but that hardly means the person speaking Spanish also "knows" Italian because they can be somewhat understood by an Italian speaker.
In other words, I think it's a misconception (an arrogant one, often) that understanding a related language to one you have already learned/studied means you actually "know" the second language (i.e. that you can speak that language,) and in some people's cases I suspect they end up pronouncing one too much like the other because 'after all, they're so closely related.'
5 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 100
17 November 2009 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
...unless they're thinking of Low German when they say that Dutch and German are the same. :-P

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version