BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5264 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 65 of 100
06 February 2010 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
goosefrabbas wrote:
Sure, but every time I hear someone say something like they they say "Eskimo" is the language. Hence the quotation marks. :) And where did you see this documentary? If it's online I'd love to watch it.

All right sorry, I skipped over the quotation-marks.
I did a quick Google about Sami/Eskimo languages and words for snow and found this.
I think it answers the questions.
1 person has voted this message useful

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6163 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 66 of 100
07 February 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
MäcØSŸ wrote:
Languages with complex grammar are spoken by the most advanced populations (actually the opposite seems to
be true).

Like someone said about Latino Sine Flexione (Latin without Inflections), "there's no grammar like no grammar." :)

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 67 of 100
07 February 2010 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
To be perfectly honest I thought Flemish and Dutch were different languages until a few weeks ago when I read differently on this forum. This is all after befriending a native Flemish speaker, hearing stories from my German teacher about her studies in Belgium, and having a friend who moved to Belgium. Never once was Flemish equated with Dutch; they were always mentioned as if they were separate languages, with the former spoken in Belgium and the latter in the Netherlands. The names sound nothing alike, they're spoken in different countries, and I overestimated the influence of French on Flemish. I knew they were close, to be sure, but I figured it was similar to the difference between Spanish and Portuguese.

Unless someone specifically tells you that Flemish and Dutch are the same thing, it's a pretty easy mistake to make. I don't know of even ONE other language that's spoken in multiple countries and has different names in each. I'm honestly curious how political issues haven't erupted over which is the more correct name for the language - "Flemish" or "Dutch".
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 68 of 100
07 February 2010 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:

Unless someone specifically tells you that Flemish and Dutch are the same thing, it's a pretty easy mistake to make. I don't know of even ONE other language that's spoken in multiple countries and has different names in each. I'm honestly curious how political issues haven't erupted over which is the more correct name for the language - "Flemish" or "Dutch".

Have you heard of the case of Serbo-Croatian vs. Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian?

elvisrules
Tetraglot
Joined 5264 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 

Message 69 of 100
07 February 2010 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
To be perfectly honest I thought Flemish and Dutch were different languages until a few weeks ago when I read differently on this forum. This is all after befriending a native Flemish speaker, hearing stories from my German teacher about her studies in Belgium, and having a friend who moved to Belgium. Never once was Flemish equated with Dutch; they were always mentioned as if they were separate languages, with the former spoken in Belgium and the latter in the Netherlands. The names sound nothing alike, they're spoken in different countries, and I overestimated the influence of French on Flemish. I knew they were close, to be sure, but I figured it was similar to the difference between Spanish and Portuguese.

Well a lot of people confuse Belgian Dutch and Flemish.
Standard Belgian Dutch, the only official language of Flanders, is very similar to the Standard Dutch of the Netherlands. The differences between the two are probably about the same as between British English and American English. Belgian Dutch is the official language in Flanders, which is written but pretty much only spoken by newscasters, professors and children in certain regions.

In Flanders, Flemish can usually mean two things:
-The spoken language mostly used in Flanders, which is a mixture of the Flemish dialects, with some French influence, and with a pronunciation close to Standard Dutch.
-Any of a number of Flemish dialects, the main groups of which are: Flemish Brabants, Antwerpian, West Flemish, East Flemish and Limburgish.

Netherlanders often confuse this and use the terms Belgian Dutch and Flemish interchangeably, which can be confusing and is not a reflection of the linguistic reality. Flemish has no official recognition: the official language of Flanders is Dutch. Even in Belgium it's confusing as French-speaking Belgians also use the terms Flemish and Dutch interchangeably.

Quote:
I don't know of even ONE other language that's spoken in multiple countries and has different names in each.

Romanian/Moldovan, Malaysian/Indonesian, Serbian/Croatian, Machu/Xibe etc. This of course brings up the old argument of language/dialect...

Edited by elvisrules on 07 February 2010 at 9:42pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5248 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 70 of 100
07 February 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Astrophel wrote:

Unless someone specifically tells you that Flemish and Dutch are the same thing, it's a pretty easy mistake to make.
I don't know of even ONE other language that's spoken in multiple countries and has different names in each. I'm
honestly curious how political issues haven't erupted over which is the more correct name for the language -
"Flemish" or "Dutch".

Have you heard of the case of Serbo-Croatian vs. Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrin/Serbian?

More examples:
Catalan and Valencian
Romanian and Moldovan

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 71 of 100
07 February 2010 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I know about Catalan/Valencian and Romanian/Moldavan and thought about them before I posted, but those actually seem like counterexamples to me. Valencians insist their language is actually separate so it should have a different name, and Moldovans insist their language is actually Romanian and shouldn't have a different name. But Dutch and Flemish insist on separate names for what they agree are the same language, which is just confusing. Serbian and Croatian are at least using different scripts so I can sort of see the logic there. Malaysian and Indonesian is a good comparison though.

elvisrules, you're saying that Belgian Dutch (the official language of Flanders) actually IS a separate language from Flemish, but that "Flemish" and "Dutch" are often used interchangeably by Netherlanders and French-speaking Belgians, right?

elvisrules
Tetraglot
Joined 5264 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 

Message 72 of 100
08 February 2010 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
But Dutch and Flemish insist on separate names for what they agree are the same language, which is just confusing.

Because as I explained above, the spoken language in Flanders is often tussentaal (the mix of Flemish dialects, with French influence and pronunciation similar to Dutch) or a Flemish dialect. That is what is meant by Flemish.
Of course, there's no real line between what is Belgian Dutch and Flemish tussentaal.

Also, not everyone agrees that they are the same language. There are some who recognize Flemish as a seperate language. Flemings will usually tell you that Flemish is just a dialect of Dutch. Netherlanders use the term Flemish to refer to Belgian Dutch, Flemings don't.

The terminology confusion lies in the history of the language in Flanders. It is only since the 60s that the consititution specifically mentions 'Nederlands' and not 'Vlaams'. It was a bilingual (mainly French) educational system in Flanders until then. Standard Belgian Dutch is based on the Standard Netherlands Dutch which is based on the spoken language of Holland.

Astrophel wrote:
elvisrules, you're saying that Belgian Dutch (the official language of Flanders) actually IS a separate language from Flemish, but that "Flemish" and "Dutch" are often used interchangeably by Netherlanders and French-speaking Belgians, right?

No, Belgian Dutch and Dutch (of the Netherlands) are considered different varieties of the same language and are both regulated by the Taal Unie (language union).
Since this year, standard vocabulary specific to the Netherlands or Belgium, but not to the other region, is indicated in the official Van Dale Groot Woordenboek as 'BN' (Belgisch Nederlands) or 'NN' (Nederlands Nederlands). Words common to both (the large majority), are not annotated. Previously, only Belgian words were annotated, and this move was made to give greater independance to Belgian Dutch.

Here in Flanders, Dutch is usually only called Belgian Dutch when one wants to make a distinction, otherwise it is simply called Dutch.

Edited by elvisrules on 08 February 2010 at 12:14am

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version