Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 33 of 100
03 December 2009 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Envinyatar wrote:
Gusutafu wrote:
That is probably because they think that Santa Claus lives in Finland (while everyone knows he really lives in Sweden).

Was that at the embassy or the old centre in Roppongi Hills? I used to work at the embassy four years ago!

Or maybe because Japan, a country that loves high-tech related stuff have definitely heard the name "Nokia" much more than "Pipi Longstocking". Just my guess.

Nokia does SOUND like it could be Japanese, but so does tiramisu. Seriously though, Astrid Lindgren's books are very popular in Japan, because they are cute. The stories about Mumin are too, though, and they are Finnish, or at least from Finland.

I never felt that Japanese people like Finland more, though. They do feal that the language sounds a bit similar to Japanese (coincidence or ural-altaism?) If they do, it probably has more to do with Finnish minimalism than Nokia.
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6562 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 34 of 100
03 December 2009 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Nokia has practically no market presence in Japan, so I doubt that has anything to do with their perception of
Finland. However, the Mumin are hugely popular here, as Gusutafu notes.

Also, the Japanese diet (parliament) has one white member — its only member not Japanese by ethnicity — and he
happens to be Finnish.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 03 December 2009 at 1:58pm

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 35 of 100
03 December 2009 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
Was that at the embassy or the old centre in Roppongi Hills? I used to work at the embassy four years ago!

Oh did you! Now I understand why you are such an international person. :-)

Well, the exhibition that I was talking about was actually in the mid 1990s - I was too young to be interested in it at all, but I think it was some kind of tourism promotion - They sold souvenirs etc, there were exhibitions of artifacts and works of art. I think it was in Ginza actually, not in Roppongi. But I might be mixed up because I did a few similar "jobs" for Swedish interests. This exhibition was in the basement of a very fancy skyscraper building, as I remember it - very professionally set up. Finland was also part of the exhibition and seemed to interest people more. Plus a few times in Japan I was asked by strangers if I was Finnish - which just seemed strange to me. I could never work out why Finland seemed to have a higher profile.

Somebody mentioned that the Japanese approved of the fact that Finland is a very homogenous country, which was true back in the 90s at least. Overall I think all the Scandinavian countries classify as "exotic" from a Japansese perspective.

Very interesting to hear from Captain Haddock that Japan has a European born MP!
Well done him - that's quite a feat he's pulled off...

mick33
United States
Joined 5718 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 36 of 100
03 December 2009 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
My personal favorite misconception about languages is that some Americans actually claim English spelling is phonetic. This seems even more ridiculous to me when I find out that these people, who are always native speakers, often can't spell.

Another one is that English and German or Dutch are mutually intelligible, and if you know one of the three you can easily converse with speakers of the other two languages. I've heard Spanish speakers say this sometimes.

That certain languages are impossible for non-native speakers learn.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rowena
United Kingdom
Joined 6373 days ago

21 posts - 26 votes
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 37 of 100
04 December 2009 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
A handful of Canadians I've met who say they "don't have accents" because they speak "just like Americans."

As if American English as a whole is the neutral, accentless basis for the world!

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6453 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 38 of 100
04 December 2009 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Rowena wrote:
A handful of Canadians I've met who say they "don't have accents" because they speak "just like Americans."

As if American English as a whole is the neutral, accentless basis for the world!

Which American English accent do you have in mind? Perhaps some Canadians do indeed sound like some Americans, but there are plenty of Americans who definitely do not sound Canadian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5605 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 39 of 100
04 December 2009 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Rowena wrote:

I think that there's a pretty good argument to be made that in the modern world, if there is any overall standard English accent, it's that of Mid-Atlantic, Upper Midwestern, and West Coast regions of the US.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5315 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 40 of 100
04 December 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Woodpecker wrote:

I think that there's a pretty good argument to be made that in the modern world, if there is any overall standard English accent, it's that of Mid-Atlantic, Upper Midwestern, and West Coast regions of the US.

Why would that be so? Does that happen to be your own dialect? I don't think that many people outside America would agree with this, not even many people within the borders.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version