Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 4824 days ago

17 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Japanese, German, French

Message 97 of 100
09 April 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Next time you see Korean script on scroll paintings, don't ask Chinese or Japanese people
to decrypt. Korean is like Greek to me. :)

At first glance it seems Hangul (Korean alphabet), Chinese characters and Japanese kanji
all look similar, even though Hangul actually doesn't share any similarity with the
latter two. After one or two weeks of studying you will be able to spell and write Korean
words since Hangul is a phonetic alphabet, like Latin and Cyrillic. On the contrary, have
to learn to draw doodles to express your thought in Chinese and Japanese.

Edited by kenshin on 10 April 2011 at 6:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 98 of 100
09 April 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
One misconception that I come across often is that Mandarin is easy...but I hear it from people on this forum not from laymen.

Fact: no language is easy. The biggest misconception for me regarding Mandarin is quite the opposite, that it's the most difficult language in the world and even seen by some as "unlearnable".

Sanghee
Groupie
United States
Joined 4862 days ago

60 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 99 of 100
09 April 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I've heard a few misconceptions about Korean in the time I've been studying it..

The most irritating is the people who assume North Korea when I mention that I'm studying Korean. I've gotten comments about how I must love dictators, or comments from people wondering why I want to learn the language of a country which hates everyone else, or comments along the lines of "What Korean media? I thought that country is basically broke.." and "They make video games and TV shows??". It's like they have no idea that South Korea exists and is completely different from North Korea.

Another misconception is that Korean has "characters" (similar to Kenshin's issue but from the perspective of someone who can easily read Hangul and knows only a few Chinese characters). Yes it has some hanja, but it mostly consists of an easy to read alphabet. I've had people tell me about some Korean product they found, only to show me a product covered in Chinese characters. My mom listens to some Korean music (due to my influence :P) and she can't even tell the huge difference between Chinese characters and Hangul when I ask her which "Asian characters" she's talking about. Even before I knew anything about Korean I could easily tell the difference (though at that time I thought Korean looked weird and had too many circles because I didn't know that it was an alphabet :/). [ETA: I noticed I got a little off topic on this one. The main misconception is that they think Korean is made of "characters" when it's an alphabet.]

And finally, people seem to think that Korean has a Chinese accent. I've had people start faking a Chinese accent when I told them I'm learning Korean. One guy asked me to say something in Korean and then had the nerve to tell me that my accent is bad even though he doesn't know any Korean, just because I didn't sound like what he thinks a *Chinese* accent should sound like.

Edited by Sanghee on 09 April 2011 at 10:07pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 100 of 100
09 April 2011 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Rameau wrote:
In short, English is not a Romance language, nor is it a Romance-Germanic mixture, as is often popularly said; it's a Germanic language which, for historical languages, happens to have a lot of Fremch/Latin-derived loanwords. But lots of languages are rich in loanwords, and we don't treat them as though they were anything out of the ordinary simply for that reason. I think the popularity of this idea may in a large part be due to the fact that French and Spanish are very commonly taught languages in English-speaking countries, and it's natural for learners to pick up on similarities between the language they're studying and their native language. Similarly, I've met countless people who've taken a German class or two in high school or at their university, and have remarked that the language is "just like English" (also not really true; they've diverged quite a bit in the last millennium or two). I suppose one's perception of one's own language is very much dependent on what one has to compare it with.

You've got a point there. English, besides all, still maintains the essence of a Germanic language and it should be seen as one.

Still, there's a reason why English is seen like that. If you consider the amount of loan words you will realize that English is one of the least conservative of all languages and that it has one of the most Latin based vocabulary for a non-Romance language. I wouldn't go that far and say that English is a Romance language or a Romance-Germanic mix, because English after all has kept its Germanic structure basically; but let's face it, the Latin vocabulary is very transparent and present in English, distinguishably more than in any other Germanic, Slavic, Finno-Ugric language.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version