Diglot
United States
Joined 5669 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 1 of 82
24 November 2009 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
On average, how many hours a day do you study your target language(s)?

For Spanish, I usually do about 4 hours doing various tasks such as:Shadowing, listening, reading,and vocabulary review. This is my main language at the time.

For Arabic, I put in about a good hour and half of studying. I'm still in the early stages of the language so I mainly:Read, listen a lot,and vocabulary review. If I am in the mood, I'll look over a grammar book just to get the feel for the grammar.

So in a night, even if it is a school night, which may change next year, I do about a total of five and a half hours. This is all depending if I have other things planed.

1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5632 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 2 of 82
24 November 2009 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
You have an amazing study discipline delta910. Well done.

I don't have any set time because my schedule varies. I'll fit in as much as I can, when I can... Sometimes several hours, sometimes half an hour.

I also don't want to overdo it and get bored or "burned out".
I have "been there, done that" several times over with boring force-fed language classes at school. Never again!

This time it's the languages I, want.. how and when I want it...

5 persons have voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5693 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 3 of 82
24 November 2009 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Four hours of study with one-hour blocks per language, plus another one of watching soaps and listening to the news.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6322 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 82
24 November 2009 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I watch one hour of soap operas and/or news, read the newspaper (or a book) and after
that I write something (up to 10 lines usually). If I have time, I try to think in the L2
for 10 or 15 minutes too. I do this exercises both for Swedish, Dutch and Italian (about
2 hours each one approx.)

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6577 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 82
24 November 2009 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I do about 2-3 hours of work out of a textbook in Italian. This happens daily. Then I do half an hour of reading a novel, which is a bit less regular. Then I do anywhere between half an hour and an hour and a half of tv/movie watching with content dubbed in Italian. This again is not strictly regular, but happens maybe half the time. So all in all I average a little over 3 hours.

It has been (only?) (already!) 3 months, so I hope I can keep going at this pace for maybe a year and see where it gets me.

Edited by numerodix on 24 November 2009 at 3:21am

4 persons have voted this message useful

sweychan
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5275 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 6 of 82
24 November 2009 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Well, when learning french I do the easiest and that is going to classes, besides I read books, I watch TV shows , etc and as for swedish, well it's really hard to find swedish classes where I live so I just stick to books, TV shows and the internet
1 person has voted this message useful

maaku
United States
Joined 5368 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 82
24 November 2009 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Half an hour a day when I can.

Slow and steady.. that's the best you can do when you get a job and get married
12 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5361 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 8 of 82
24 November 2009 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
You have an amazing study discipline delta910. Well done.

I don't have any set time because my schedule varies. I'll fit in as much as I can, when I can... Sometimes several hours, sometimes half an hour.

I also don't want to overdo it and get bored or "burned out".
I have "been there, done that" several times over with boring force-fed language classes at school. Never again!

This time it's the languages I, want.. how and when I want it...

This is my philosophy too. My schedule is too hectic to set aside a certain amount of time every day, but I try to do something in at least two languages every day. I usually do a little bit of study in the morning and more at night, and recently I've also begun reading in foreign languages on my breaks at work. That usually comes out to anywhere from a half-hour to three hours a day. I could probably do more, but I have a full-time job and I like to get a lot of sleep.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version