Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 145 of 151
16 November 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Me gusta la reggaeton band Calle 13. Son de Puerto Rico y por casualidad es Benicio del Toro también de Puerto Rico. Él es muy guapo. ;P Miré Che 1 y 2 y también otras películas españolas. Pero ahora me gusta lo más la acento de Puerto Rico.

Apologies for the bad Spanish. It has to be done ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 147 of 151
17 November 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Has aprendido el castellano muy rápido. ¿Quién es tal guapo? Por supuesto lo quiero ver.

Tengo mucha ayuda de google traducir :D

El guapo es Benicio del Toro Om nom nom.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 149 of 151
18 November 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:

¿Estás disfrutando de tus estudios?

El curso es muy rápido pero me gusta el español cada día más. Es muy fácil que encontrar cosas que mirar y escuchar. Eso era siempre difícil con Holandés.

Quote:
No me parece guapo: no tienes buen gusto ¡Jaja!

No tú! :P

Edited by Iolanthe on 18 November 2010 at 6:15pm

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 150 of 151
09 December 2010 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Yay December! Ik ben al enthousiast over volgend jaar. Ik wil wat realistischer doelen zetten voor volgend jaar want dingen zoals 'word fluent' hebben niet tot werkelijkheid gekomen. Deels omdat ik stel fluent stilletjes gelijk met native fluency. Dus ik leg mijn aandacht op de dingen dat ik kan doen zoals luisteren, dingen vragen over de taal en lezen, lezen en nog meer lezen. Omdat ik tot nu toe nog geen epifanisch moment heb gehad waarop ik denk, 'Ok, vanaf nu ga ik alleen in het Nederlands spreken', moet ik hulp van buiten zoeken. Als ik de tweede semester haal *afkloppen*, zal ik de gelegenheid nemen om een schrijven/spreken cursus via de universiteit te volgen. Ik heb onlangs uitgevonden dat als je een buitenlandse student bent, hoef je maar een 50 euro borg te betalen.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 151 of 151
22 December 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Okey dokey! It's the end of December now so I'll post a review of my 2010 Dutch goals. The ones I settled on are different from the ones on page 1 so ignore that :D

Overall: B2 level by April. Pass NT2 exam. C1 level by end of 2010
B2 level? I think so. Pass NT2 exam? Done! C1 level? No way! :D

Speaking: Fluent, spontaneous, not struggling for vocabulary. Able to go a whole day without English.
I’ve been rather desperate to prove myself by attaining the elusive fluency but now I see this is a goal I can’t hold for myself no matter how many people tell me that it’s important to be fluent. The fact that I have social anxiety (which was diagnosed just a few months ago) means that I’m never going to be the kind of person to chat away in a language that I don’t feel confident in. It’s hard enough in English. I realise that I first have to overcome my social anxiety before I can bloom into a fluent speaker of any language so I’m dropping the fluency goal for next year since I have bigger fish to fry.

Listening: Can understand varied kinds of TV programs and everyday conversation between other people most of the time.
This is where I’ve made the biggest leap. My listening skills were the worst part of my Dutch at the start of the year and now they’re the best! I didn’t really do much to attain this other than keeping my ears open. Since starting university I’ve noticed more holes in my listening skills, mostly when speech becomes colloquial, unclear or slurred. Basically the two areas I need to improve are my understanding of ‘social Dutch’ and academic Dutch.

Writing: Can write essays in detail with very little errors.
Much like my speaking goals, this was a bit of a non-goal. I figured I would end up having to write loads of essays this semester and so I’d find out if I could tick off this goal eventually but in fact I only wrote one essay and that was in English.

Reading: Can read novels without trouble. 8000 word estimated passive vocabulary
I did an estimate for my vocabulary a week ago and go 11.000 so I can tick off the vocab goal. My reading fluency has got better since the start of the year but it still needs some work. It really depends on the material I’m reading. University is giving me a lot of challenges.

Overall, it’s gone pretty well, especially with listening. I’ve learnt that I need to go easier on myself and set more realistic goals. In a way, starting university with average Dutch and non-existent Spanish was unrealistic but I’ve started it so I’ll see where it goes. It’s hard but not impossible, just like all the other goals I’ve achieved. I’m looking forward to learning how to combine having goals and having a calm, healthy mind next year! I’ve been neglecting the latter. Important!

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version