Poland
Joined 4862 days ago

40 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Spanish, Greek
Studies: Russian, Serbian

Message 25 of 77
04 December 2010 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Origin and level:
I'm Polish, and I have just started learning Russian, so I'm a complete beginner. I already know the alphabet and can read some short texts. Oh, and I can also write. But of course this is nothing, because I cannot even introduce myself properly with the exception of "Яа - полька, яа живу в Варшаве. Я изучаю русский язык."

Reason for studying Russian:
Firstly because I like very much how it sounds and because I always wanted to be able to speak it. However, that's not the only reason. I have some Russian, Ukrainian and Belarussian friends, and they all speak Polish fluently, so my ambition is to show them that I can learn Russian. ;) I study applied linguistics in the University of Warsaw, and apart from some common lectures we all study two languages, one of them having the status of "language B", the more important (Polish is language A for all of us) one, which we theoretically ought to speak better. There is a group with English as language B, German as language B, Spanish as language B, French as language B and Russian as language B. Some of the girls from the Russian group started to learn Spanish, so I had another motivation to immerse in Russian. I can say that in my everyday life I am surrounded by the Russian language, so I realised that it would be very useful to speak it. Even two of my university teachers are Russian, the English phonetics professor and the professor of Spanish descriptive grammar (by the way, they also speak Polish fluently)!

Main linguistic challenges:
I've already mastered handwriting, so the alphabet is not a problem. What I see is that the Russian grammar is similar to the grammar of Polish with all the perfective/non-perfective verbs, noun declensions and so on, so that will be easy too. In terms of vocabulary, I understand a lot of words, so I guess I'll love the language. :) But the biggest problem is the irregular word stress...
5 persons have voted this message useful

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4836 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, Russian
Studies: Vietnamese
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 77
23 December 2010 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm Czech, and I've been studying Russian for about past two and a half years. I believe that I was in a similar situation back than as you are now, so some of the following might apply.

Natalia wrote:
What I see is that the Russian grammar is similar to the grammar of Polish with all the perfective/non-perfective verbs, noun declensions and so on,

And because it's all so similar, including word roots, declension and conjugation patterns, meaning, phrases, everything, your newly-acquired Russian will even seep into your Polish, since they are so similar that your brain uses the same wiring for both of them. Well mine seems to anyway. It happens to me with English, too, but not remotely that much.

Natalia wrote:
so that will be easy too. In terms of vocabulary, I understand a lot of words, so I guess I'll love the language. :) But the biggest problem is the irregular word stress...

Yeah, stress is rather awful. I rely on repetition a lot, I have separate Anki cards for the interesting exceptional cases (e.g. "руку" has initial stress even though "рука" is terminal in all other singular cases, so I have a couple cards involving the word "рука" in various cases). Quite often I invent a story about the given word, and use it as a mnemonic to figure out the stress pattern in present/future and/or past tenses (remembering which of these the mnemonic applies to is a challenge in itself).

Sometimes I think I found a pattern, like "old words are more likely to move stress", or "animals tend to change stress in plural", or something similar. Then I try to remember exceptions instead, and invent mnemonics around that, and then I think I found a pattern in exceptions, and then I finally lose track of all the layers of exceptions and it all ends up a grand guessing game, and I give up and just bring over a bunch of cards with sentences that cover it all. Attempts to ad-hoc systematize Russian stress are best avoided, I think.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evgeny
Diglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4823 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 27 of 77
04 January 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I am Swedish and I study Russian.
My initial reasons for studying were work motivated, but lately I have become quite a "Russophile" and now I am continuing to study it because I simply want to know it.

1 person has voted this message useful

Evgeny
Diglot
Joined 4823 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 28 of 77
04 January 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Hi, do you have Skype name?

Evgeny
Diglot
Joined 4823 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 29 of 77
04 January 2011 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have never been at an AA-meeting, but I have seen so many of them in American films that I feel like I have, and invariably there will be a "I am Judy, and I'm an alcoholic" scene.

So I thought we could follow that pattern and use it to introduce ourselves, and see who of us are doing Russian - and a what level.

When we gain enough confidence, we could even start posting in Russian - as is the intention with this room :-) Anyway, here goes:

Origin and level
I am Norwegian, and have tried to learn Russian since March (after two previous failed attempts). I do not even know how to decribe my level - it is not complete beginner, even though I still struggle with the Russian letters, but I am at a very basic level. My main problem is that with a full time job and a lot of family commitments I do not have any free time. I therefore do the bulk of my studying on the train to work (a 10 minutes ride), walking to and from the train and while I do my housework or gardening. I listen to Russian quite a lot, but I never get time to actually sit down and do any proper studying.

Reason for studying Russian
Through my work I deal with an international organisation which is Paris based, and where so far only German, English and French have been official languages. Now Russian is being used more and more, partly because Russia has become a member, and partly because several Eastern European members speak only Russian and their own language.

I also have Russian speaking friends in Ukraine, and I want to be able to communicate with them. And of course, after having studied the language for a little while you just want to learn it because it is fun.

Main linguistic challenges
As mentioned, I am at a very, very basic level, so the alphabet is still difficult, and since I am extremely impatient, and would like to read Anna Karenina tomorrow, I struggle when I try to read unknown texts because the words are not the same as in the dictionary, and I have not mastered even the simplest of grammar points yet. UHRGG. Totally frustrating. Will get there though. Loved Datsunkings word in another post. "This is war, and I'm going to win it"

So who else is out there trying to learn Russian? Why do you do it, where are you from and how far have you got. Good advice is also welcome!!

Evgeny
Diglot
Joined 4823 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes

Message 30 of 77
04 January 2011 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Hello, I'm Evgeny from Russia. If you need Russian in exchenge to English. My Skype name is evgeny.lisovenko1

Dimann
Russian Federation
Joined 4811 days ago

4 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English

Message 31 of 77
17 January 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Сократил число косяков, не замеченные Сиберианом;)
Siberiano wrote:
TEM wrote:
Здравствуйте. Я 23-ый американец и уже учил русский язык два года. Я хотел бы очень хорошо говорить по-русски после одного года, но что поделать, не настолько это важно. Сейчас мне кажется, что я всегда быстрее понимаю больше и больше, чем раньше. И самое важное -- что этот процесс мне нравится.

Почему я учу русский язык? Мне очень интересуются русской культурой, литературой, историей, и другими темами ,
касающимися России. Я очень хочу когда-нибудь похать к Россию, но сейчас деньги нет. Кроме того, по-моему, звучание русского языка очень красиво, и вообще русский язык красивый в плане грамматики и
разговорной речи и т.д. Я тоже хочу в будущем использовать знание русского языка как мост к другим славяньским языкам.

Здравствуйте. Я 23-ий американец и уже два года учу русский язык . Я хотел бы очень хорошо говорить по-русски после одного года, но что поделать, не настолько это важно. Сейчас мне кажется, что я быстрее понимаю больше и больше, чем раньше. И самое важное -- что этот процесс мне нравится.

Почему я учу русский язык? Мне очень интересны русская культура, литература, история, и другие темы, касающиеся России. Я очень хочу когда-нибудь поехать в Россию, но сейчас денег нет . Кроме того, по-моему, звучание русского языка очень красивое, и вообще русский язык красивый в плане грамматики и разговорной речи и т.д. Также я хочу в будущем использовать знание русского языка как мост к другим славянским языкам.

Edited by Dimann on 19 January 2011 at 8:53pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Mysteryfaith
United Kingdom
Joined 4797 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 32 of 77
31 January 2011 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm Myst and I study Russian. Heck yes. >D

ORIGIN AND LEVEL
Originally from the United Kingdom, and have been interested in Russian since the middle of last year although I have only recently acquired any resources with which I can properly learn it. I'm at a VERY basic stage, my grasp of the letters very poor and still at the stage of learning numbers, colours, days of the week etc.

REASON FOR STUDYING RUSSIAN
In all honesty, it was because I saw Michael Palin's Full Circle, and the small snippet where he went to Russia (constantly searching for a plugsocket xDD) immediately got me hooked. It seemed like such a cool language - and I was already eager to pick up some new languages, in order to improve my chances of getting into university when I'm a little older - so it was the ideal hobby. :)

MAIN LINGUISTIC CHALLENGES
I confess to having a book with the pronunciations of words spelt out on top of the words themselves, so it's very easy for me to cheat and read those pronunciations, meaning when it comes to spelling the words or remembering what they look like in Russian, it's very difficult. I should probably stop doing that... ;)

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version