Groupie
United States
Joined 5345 days ago

49 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 36
13 June 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
If one more person tells me, "You should just use Rosetta Stone." I am going to scream. I often study at work and hear that at least 4 times each day (16 hour shifts). It is driving me nuts. My standard response is, "Have YOU used Rosetta Stone?" when they ALWAYS answer "No", I then remind them that "An expensive advertising campaign does not always mean it is the best product. Have you ever actually seen any celebrity in a Rosetta Stone commercial demonstrating ANY usage of the language S/he supposedly learned?" They always slink off.

I am going to scream the next time I hear that. Maybe I'll suggest that the person get a power chair from The Scooter Store and when I am asked why, I can respond with, "The commercials make it look great so you probably need that as much as I need Rosetta Stone!"

I don't know. Does anybody else have any suggestion on how to respond to this unwelcome BS advice? (Note: I am usually nice, but the 4th time each day I hear it, I am at full-sarcasm-level.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5626 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 2 of 36
13 June 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Tell them not to believe everything they see on TV and particularly not commercials...

1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6167 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 36
13 June 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Ignore it. What else is there to say? Most people don't have any idea or interest in language learning so engaging them in conversation about it is useless for both parties.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5121 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 4 of 36
13 June 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Rosetta stone has received a largely negative opinion of users. Even those who have found found it useful will probably agree that it is definitively not worth its price, for there are better, cheaper methods available.

Just run a forum search and you will find all the bashing you'll ever need.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5457 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 36
13 June 2010 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Just say "I am already past the level Rosetta Stone can take you to" which has the advantage of almost certainly being true even if you are a beginner, and also offers little opportunity for a come back from the other person.
12 persons have voted this message useful

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5857 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 6 of 36
13 June 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
It boggles my mind how so much advertising on their part has brainwashed people into thinking that it simply is the best product one can use to learn a language.

dolly
United States
Joined 5578 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 7 of 36
13 June 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
I've been asked many times about this program, and if I've prevented anyone from wasting their money then I'm glad they asked.

OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5223 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 8 of 36
13 June 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Send them this link, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this.

That should keep them busy for a while. In the unlikely event that they keep coming back with the same suggestion, just ask: "Have you read everything?"

Problem solved.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version