Diglot
GroupieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4948 days ago

82 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Danish

Message 1 of 43
14 November 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
have you ever dream in your target language ? i think when it's happen it's good as you begin to think and work in that language.

half of my dream include foreign language dialog, most in English
last time i dream i was talking to someone in Spanish, the funny thing was that i needed to say "last" and i don't remember how to say it, so i replace it by "third" which doesn't mean the same thing at all! then i started to speak in English and the people who i was talking to laugh at me ! when i woke up, i didn't remember what was i talking about, but i remember my mistake and which word i wasn't able to say! this rocks!

i never speak to native speaker in the target language in my dream, but with friends, and the language is not spoken really good, it's spoken at my level (it's normal i suppose)

oh and a month after i started to learn swedish i had my only dream in swedish, i said in it basics things like "i like it", no more than 3 sentences, but i was happy to have my first dream in swedish!

another thing is when i needed to learn vocabulary for a Spanish test, i learn it before sleeping, and then when i woke up, i know it way better! ( this doesn't happen a lot, though )

do you experienced the same thing ? Do you think we can study foreign language while sleeping?
1 person has voted this message useful

B-Tina
Tetraglot
Germany
dragonsallaroun
Joined 5332 days ago

123 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Polish

Message 2 of 43
15 November 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
I had some dreams including English and french, however in the dreams I was aware that I spoke a foreign language and had to translate.

However, I dreamt twice in polish (a language I am right now giving a lot effort to), and in those dreams speaking polish seemed quite natural to me, and I didn't translate. By the way, one of the dreams included Lech Wałęsa being my taxi driver and we both started complaining in polish about just how annoying my polish teacher was :-)

5 persons have voted this message useful

Hanekawa
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4977 days ago

30 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 43
16 November 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I keep having dreams in Japanese. Also, French, Chinese, and Korean. It's so wierd

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5186 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 43
16 November 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I very frequently dream in foreign languages. While you sleep, the brain rehashes everything you've done that day; if you studied or spoke foreign languages, you're bound to dream about them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5438 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 43
16 November 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I also dream in my target language on a regular basis. The way I do it is to force myself to have a mental "voiceover" in that language. Saying things to myself like "Damnit I'm out of milk" or "That girl's cute!" or whatever has me thinking in the language. Even at a basic stage you can maintain this.

When I do it efficiently enough, the dream does naturally follow the progression of the language I've been thinking in all day. One other thing that has been effective has been use of Lucid dreaming. If you Google it you'll find lots of ideas.

The one catch is that you will *think* you are dreaming in the language, but since it's all in your head you could be making up words and thinking that they are right.

Having audio on in the language may encourage you to dream in that language, but without focus you will NOT learn anything unless you hear the same phrases over and over again, which would drive me mad.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5947 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 43
16 November 2010 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
Having audio on in the language may encourage you to dream in that language, but without focus you will NOT learn anything unless you hear the same phrases over and over again, which would drive me mad.

I think hearing the same text repeated over and over, even if it's long, would work too. I've left a recording of an audio news/interview article in Greek going during the night. I was awake for the first few repetitions, and was definitely aware of how little I understood of it in the beginning. Throughout the night I woke up a few times hearing phrases that I understood, and in the morning I understood (or felt like I understood) the whole thing without much problem. A similar thing has happened with a dialogue I have repeatedly shadowed in Georgian--I can now understand a good part of it even though I don't know more than a few words in the language.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tomsawyer
Aruba
Joined 5092 days ago

103 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: GermanB1, French, Russian

Message 7 of 43
17 November 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
My fiancee has been woken a few times in recent years, with me talking in my sleep in German. If only the poor girl knew what she was getting herself into...
3 persons have voted this message useful

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4927 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 8 of 43
17 November 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
irishpolyglot wrote:

I think hearing the same text repeated over and over, even if it's long, would work too. I've left a recording of an audio news/interview article in Greek going during the night. I was awake for the first few repetitions, and was definitely aware of how little I understood of it in the beginning. Throughout the night I woke up a few times hearing phrases that I understood, and in the morning I understood (or felt like I understood) the whole thing without much problem. A similar thing has happened with a dialogue I have repeatedly shadowed in Georgian--I can now understand a good part of it even though I don't know more than a few words in the language.

I have many recordings of native speakers reading articles in French. The samples I have about are 2 - 3 minutes long, is that a good length for trying what you did? I'm really interested in trying it out...

Edited by CheeseInsider on 17 November 2010 at 8:04am

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version