Diglot
Norway
Joined 4706 days ago

11 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 43
27 June 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
I dream in English all of the time but then again I do use it every day so that might not be as weird as all that.

I do remember having a dream in French when I was doing French in middle school. I was at a chemists in France trying to buy tablets for my sore throat and was having a very hard time explaining what I wanted. The people around me were talking fluent French and I had no idea what they were saying. Thinking back they were probably reciting lines from my textbook. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Minya
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4707 days ago

22 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 18 of 43
29 June 2011 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
This has happened to me a few times. It's always with Japanese/Korean. o_O And sometimes I won't even speak it, but things around me will be written in Korean, like products in a store or signs. Weird because I didn't know any Korean than...
1 person has voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5252 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 19 of 43
02 July 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
For purposely dreaming in your target language, listening to a short meditation in the language before bed can be good. You can find a fair number by going to youtube, searching "meditation" in your target language and ripping the audio.

I wanted to make a special mention, though, for Speak Italian Magically. You can get it in book form, audio form, or both. It's a series of short relaxation hypnosis passages which are given in a mix of Italian and English, and in Italian alone. By listening to the English and Italian version as you start to go to sleep, you'll have an idea what's going on. Then you can listen to the Italian alone as you're drifting off. I find that I dream off and on in Italian and wake up with Italian floating around in my brain if I listen to this right before bed.

JacobTM
Groupie
United States
Joined 5403 days ago

56 posts - 67 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 43
02 July 2011 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
When I've shared rooms with people, I often get shocked comments that ''You were speaking
Spanish in your sleep!''

I never remember it, but it makes sense. If I'm dreaming that I'm doing something with a
Colombian or in Colombia (where I live) I'm obviously going to speak in Spanish.

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5143 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 21 of 43
02 July 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I occasionally dream in Japanese. Usually in my dreams, I can use Japanese with ease and it all seems natural to me. Feel quite disappointed when I wake up!

ilperugino
Pentaglot
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4979 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 22 of 43
03 July 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
I had dreams in which I spoke Russian when hadnĀ“t practiced it for a time, and was suprised with the unexpected quality of it.

Maybe it was some divine intervention telling me how good I could get to be... In my dreams.   

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5361 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 23 of 43
03 July 2011 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
I had my first couple of dreams in Russian over the last fortnight too, and as always the case, I'm no better at speaking Russian in my dream world than in my waking reality (lol)!

Edited by Teango on 03 July 2011 at 5:08am

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4781 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 24 of 43
03 July 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
After practicing Russian grammar in my workbook for extended periods of time, I have very bland, annoying
dreams that involve cyrillic letters.
Basically the whole dream exists in an expanse of white. Then, one by one, cyrillic letters pop up and then slowly
fade away. Sometimes they'll be floating on sheets of paper. And that's about all that happens for the whole night.

I've also had dreams in which I've spoken Russian but I don't really remember them. In any case, the above dream
has occurred on multiple occasions and makes for fitful sleeping...

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version