Japan
ioet.com
Joined 6846 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 43
04 July 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
I've been going through a period this year where I've been intensely missing Tokyo, and ended up dreaming in Japanese - even though I've hardly been using it at all in everyday life. I've been reading books and watching the occasional TV show but that's about it. It definitely serves to make me want to use Japanese more though, and makes me more wistful than ever. Kind of sad, really, since I'm trying to focus on Russian now!
1 person has voted this message useful

Niomi
Diglot
Japan
ioet.com
Joined 6846 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes

Message 26 of 43
04 July 2011 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:
After practicing Russian grammar in my workbook for extended periods of time, I have very bland, annoying
dreams that involve cyrillic letters.
Basically the whole dream exists in an expanse of white. Then, one by one, cyrillic letters pop up and then slowly
fade away. Sometimes they'll be floating on sheets of paper. And that's about all that happens for the whole night.

I've also had dreams in which I've spoken Russian but I don't really remember them. In any case, the above dream
has occurred on multiple occasions and makes for fitful sleeping...

That's interesting since I've read that it's impossible to dream in the written word! It has something to do with the part of our brain that we use for reading. Apparently the most we can do is see a word here and there.

Edited by Niomi on 04 July 2011 at 1:13am

Dreadslinger
United States
Joined 4697 days ago

18 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 27 of 43
04 July 2011 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
The one catch is that you will *think* you are dreaming in the language, but since it's all in your head you could be making up words and thinking that they are right..

lol I'm an absolute beginner in Russian (literally just starting out) and I have dreams in which I have fully realized, fluent conversations with... well, to be honest, mostly very attractive (albeit entirely invented) Russian women. It's nice, but rather disappointing that I can't be as fluent outside of "dreamland". Of course, I tend to wish I could be as charming in waking life as well... lol

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4780 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 28 of 43
04 July 2011 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Niomi wrote:

That's interesting since I've read that it's impossible to dream in the written word! It has something to do with the
part of our brain that we use for reading. Apparently the most we can do is see a word here and there.

Really? I guess that would make sense, since things in dreams don't really tend to stay still enough for one to be
able to read them...
Perhaps, because I'm a visual person, I interpret letters, text, etc. as images and they transfer over to my dreams
more easily?
Do you recall where you read that/have you any links on the subject you could share? xD

Niomi
Diglot
Japan
ioet.com
Joined 6846 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes

Message 29 of 43
04 July 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:

Really? I guess that would make sense, since things in dreams don't really tend to stay still enough for one to be
able to read them...
Perhaps, because I'm a visual person, I interpret letters, text, etc. as images and they transfer over to my dreams
more easily?
Do you recall where you read that/have you any links on the subject you could share? xD

I just did a quick search and came up with:

http://dreaminglife.org/how-well-can-you-read-in-your-dreams / -- this person write a blog post about it

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread468063/pg1 -- thread about it

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything more scientific than that... Maybe you're right -- what some of those people say is that the part of the brain that reads is asleep when we're dreaming, so you'd be seeing those words as images more than actual words.

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5251 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 30 of 43
05 July 2011 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
If you're into lucid dreaming, one of the important things to know is whether you're dreaming or really awake. A standard way of doing this is to look at your watch, then look back again in a minute or so. If you're dreaming, it will likely be a very different time. This doesn't speak to the reading question specifically, but does indicate that when you look for specific information while dreaming, the brain just pops in images, without a real effort to stick to script. I imagine it's the same with signs for the subway and the like - you're not actually reading, you're just seeing familiar signs.

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4780 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 31 of 43
05 July 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the links, Niomi.

And, BartoG, I have looked into lucid dreaming before, and I find it a fascinating concept. I guess one can try to
fashion one's dream into a language experience of some kind.

It also makes sense now why one wouldn't be able to read in dreams--nothing stays still long enough.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4455 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 32 of 43
04 March 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I have often heard that you start dreaming in foreign languages when you're fluent, but linguaphiles on the LJ have proved this belief false - when I find the link to the question I posted there, I'll put it here.

I have been dreaming in English, in German (even though my German is quite poor), in Spanish (practically from the moment I started learning it) and even in a conlang.

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version