Joined 6259 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 33 of 43
04 March 2012 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:
Niomi wrote:

That's interesting since I've read that it's impossible to dream in the written word! It has something to do with the
part of our brain that we use for reading. Apparently the most we can do is see a word here and there.

Really? I guess that would make sense, since things in dreams don't really tend to stay still enough for one to be
able to read them...
Perhaps, because I'm a visual person, I interpret letters, text, etc. as images and they transfer over to my dreams
more easily?
Do you recall where you read that/have you any links on the subject you could share? xD

I recently had a dream where someone was trying to tell me a phone number over the telephone and I was trying to write it down. I had to keep telling them to repeat it until I became so frustrated that I woke up.

On another matter you certainly don't need to be fluent to dream in a language.
I recently found I was dreaming that I was speaking Latin. Now I have studied Latin as a written language and I want to be able to speak it but I am extremely poor at it.

These were the circumstances. In the dream I was using it as a secret language to speak to a friend. I have briefly spoken Latin to him in the past. I met him just after coming out of a Latin exam and he asked me how it went and I replied "Infandum amice iubes renovare dolorem" "Unspeakable oh friend is the sorrow you bid me renew"
It is a paraphrase from book II of Vergil's Aeneid where Aeneus is telling the Queen about the fall of Troy and I knew he knew the original quote. Actually I was joking the exam went OK.

During the day before the dream I had been thinking about how to improve my spoken Latin and practicing by trying to talk to myself in it.

I think basically if you use a language during the day or with specific people then you may dream about things in it. In fact in the dream concerned I was using Latin to prevent Welsh speakers understanding. So I was dreaming in two non-native languages at once!

1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4839 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 34 of 43
04 March 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I rarely dream in foreign languages, even when I have lived in foreign countries. The fact that it is so rare of an occurrence for me has made me wonder if I have a defect of some kind. Other language learners seem to claim foreign language dreams are a frequent happening.

One time a few months ago, though, after working through 3 phases of Pimsleur for Japanese, I had a dream that I had gone to Tokyo and was an airport kiosk trying to buy stamps. It was particularly interesting given that the dream was in English, Japanese and Spanish. As I was asking for the stamps, I hesitated, and somehow the shop clerk heard my hesitation and spoke Spanish to me. So we chatted a while in Spanish, and then once I had remembered within the dream who to say what I wanted in Japanese, I switched languages.

I knew I had grammar structures in my head. When I woke up, I realized I said "please" in the wrong way (kudasai vs. onegaishimasu).

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4506 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 35 of 43
04 March 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
You can use both. 切符をください、切符お願いします - both correct.

I can't even remember my dreams. Once my ex-wife told me I spoke to her in Japanese ... can't have been much, I was a beginner at that time.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4673 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 36 of 43
05 March 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I had this crazy dream recently about taking a train through North Korea. It was totally surreal, especially because it looked somewhat European and I was just passing through on my way to South Korea... The fun language part was that I talked to some small boys on the train in Korean and tried to speak with a North Korean accent :D

I also had some kind of language nightmare. I was back at school and had to write a Latin test. Sadly, I had forgotten all my Latin (although some of it seemed to come back in the dream!) and I wondered how I could get through the exam... So finally I tried chatting to the teacher about the differences between Latin and Hebrew (random, I know) and it worked, I was actually allowed to just have a conversation instead of writing the test.

I often dream in English, but it's so normal for me that I can't remember what language the dream was in... When I dream about people I know I dream in the language I usually speak with them.

Edited by druckfehler on 05 March 2012 at 8:31pm

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4737 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 37 of 43
08 March 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Once I fell asleep reading an English book about feminism, then in my dream a low female voice kept repeating what I had just read rapidly. Not a pleasure feeling as I woke up with a heavy head, thinking I just had nightmare. But nothing beats the first English dream I had which was, horrible. There was a latina girl whos the new student of my school.She kept flirting with me in English. Then we had hot sweaty sex. Right after that, when I was about to say something, she said,"oh? you're not serious, right? Cos I didn't mean for a relationship"....Holy hell. So technically I was dumped by the last woman I liked in a tv show in English when I had my sex dream for the first time? And whats all that flirting vobs come from?!! Poor me kept wondering whats wrong with me and became aware of the powerful effect of damn american tv shows....        &nb sp; 

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4293 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 38 of 43
12 October 2013 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I've been living in China and studying Mandarin for almost a year a half, and I finally had a dream of me
speaking a little Mandarin Chinese. The dream was long, I was at a mixed martial arts competition here in
China with my wife, and I was speaking mostly English throughout, but there were episodes where I would
try speak Mandarin Chinese to get my message across. In one of the episodes I was arguing with was a
portly woman behind a counter and I was asking her to return some things my wife behind. In my dream I
coldn't quite make out whether she was speaking with the Chongqing (the city in western China where I
live) dialect or Mandarin with a heavy Chongqing accent. In another episode I was complaining to a
government official about the portly lady earlier. We were speaking English most of the time, but when I
spoke some Mandarin, she said "Hey, so you speak Chinese after all!"

Edited by Duke100782 on 12 October 2013 at 3:28am

Marcos_Eich
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4023 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German

Message 39 of 43
12 October 2013 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
I never dreamed about a language that I was learning, but when I started in a job that I
had meetings in English and talked this language a lot during the day... man... I have
some crazy dreams speaking English. It was nice but disapeared when I got more
confortable with the language.

cpnlsn88
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4842 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 40 of 43
12 October 2013 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I don't dream often in a foreign language but think it represents a kind of conceptual breakthrough for the brain to incorporate the language you are dreaming in as one of your own languages. It is possible that thereafter you find it a little easier to communicaate in the language because it's becoming more a part of your identity (pure hypothesising - no evidence....).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version