Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4163 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 41 of 43
13 October 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
I don't usually dream in a foreign language, but once I saw a child alone, in my dream, and I was trying to communicate with him to find his parents, etc. After I asked in greek, I somehow asked him: kako se zoves? I was reading a serbocroatian teach yoursel at the time, and it popped up in my dream. I still remember it because, in my sleep, I made a great effort to remember the question.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 43
13 October 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I very frequently dream in foreign languages. While you sleep, the brain rehashes everything you've done that day; if you studied or spoke foreign languages, you're bound to dream about them.

I haven't experienced this until recently; first time during my Gaeltacht "immersion" in Gleann Cholm Cille in Ireland (daily studies) and second time in Barcelona surrounded by Spanish. I liked that feeling a lot.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4409 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 43 of 43
13 October 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I too have only recently experienced this with Irish. I find this odd as I've been
studying the language for so long. It has now become a regular occurrence, but only when
the other people in the dream are those I associate strongly with the language.

For example, I recently had a dream where my grandfather and I had to cut down some trees
that were obscuring the sea view from the kitchen window of our house. I remember asking
him at one point the plural of the word tree in the his local dialect, crainn or
crainnte. I found this dream really nice, as 1) my grandfather died eight years ago and
2) my Irish wasn't good when he was alive so I never spoke it with him. Nice to transcend
reality sometimes isn't it? :)

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version