Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5946 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 9 of 43
17 November 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
CheeseInsider wrote:
I have many recordings of native speakers reading articles in French. The samples I have about are 2 - 3 minutes long, is that a good length for trying what you did? I'm really interested in trying it out...

The recordings that I was listening to were no longer than five minutes (if even that). I'd say that 2-3 minutes is a very good length.
2 persons have voted this message useful

qklilx
United States
Joined 5990 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 43
17 November 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
I dreamt in Korean one time. I couldn't understand anything, but luckily there were subtitles.
6 persons have voted this message useful

cymro
Triglot
Groupie
Wales
Joined 6258 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 11 of 43
17 November 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
I learned to speak Welsh very quickly. After about 2 years people would sometimes not realise that I had learned. Luckily brought up in an English speaking Welsh family I had the right accent to start with. It was my mother's father's first language and there are still relatives in my parent's street who use it at home.

Anyway at the end of my first 9 month course. I went away for a residential weekend.
I was in the same dormitory as my tutor. I woke up in the morning and said to him in Welsh "I was dreaming in Welsh last night". His reply was "I know. I heard you."

I regularly dream in Welsh. A number of things I do I do exclusively through the language and I have friends who I only speak Welsh to . So quite naturally I dream in the language.

Recently I had a really odd dream. I was translating a large chunk of Virgil's Aeneid from Latin to English. It took days. One night I had a dream that I was trying to speak Latin to Virgil. Unfortunately whilst I am quite familiar with the vocabulary needed to warn people of the contents of large wooden horses, everyday stuff is rather difficult.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6507 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 43
18 November 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
In my log file I have just described an extremely vivid dream I had this morning. It was totally in French and situated in Bamako, the capital of Mali, where I assume that French is the official 'colonial' language (I have not been there yet, but I'm speculating in fairly concrete terms about buying a tour to Burkina Faso and Mali). I didn't notice any writing in Arabian letters, but some of the locals were dressed in 'jalabeyas' (I don't remember the exact term for this kind of clothing). One interesting detail is that I could read texts in French at least at three occasions during the dream. Another detail is that I felt at some moment that my control was slipping away, but I succeeded in regaining it - though the dream stopped shortly after.

Edited by Iversen on 18 November 2010 at 10:43am

NotKeepingTrack
Triglot
United States
Joined 4971 days ago

19 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, German

Message 13 of 43
18 November 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I have dreamt in French before. In my French class we do memorized conversations as part of the exam, and when I am so focused on learning the conversation I often dream about it.
I've also dreamt about other things in French, nothing too complicated of course, but usually whatever I'm learning in class.

Usually if I have German or Spanish in my dreams it is someone else saying it, or me trying to speak and fumbling with the words.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5138 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 43
19 November 2010 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
If I am in a foreign country where I know the language, it usually takes 2-5 days before I start to think, dream and swear in that language. Sometimes it lasts a few days after I got home to, so that I have talked in my sleep in both French and Spanish to my mother. My daughter also recently teased me for speaking English to her im my sleep - but that was after having hosted an international meeting here in Oslo, where everything was in English.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4926 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 15 of 43
19 November 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
CheeseInsider wrote:
I have many recordings of native speakers reading articles in French. The samples I have about are 2 - 3 minutes long, is that a good length for trying what you did? I'm really interested in trying it out...

The recordings that I was listening to were no longer than five minutes (if even that). I'd say that 2-3 minutes is a very good length.

Thanks ^_^

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5909 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 16 of 43
24 June 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
At last!
Dreamt I spoke a few words in Polish last night, it went something like this:

My dad, brother and I were walking through a mall. But not a shopping
      mall, rather a mall full of large open-plan offices. As we wandered
      through one I heard a group of office workers talking animatedly in a
      foreign language. I said 'powodzenia' (good luck) and the group stopped
      talking. One of them came over and handed me an envelope containing
      details of free travel. I muttered something about 'podróż' (travel).
      It turned out to be some kind of scam in the end.

I didn't say much but I'm glad my brain is starting to generate Polish having bombarded
it from every angle with the language for the past 8 months.

Edited by Mooby on 24 June 2011 at 12:31pm

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version