United States
Joined 5772 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 95
10 December 2010 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
I'm surprised no one has posted this question yet!

A new year is almost upon us, and it's a good time to think about what we want to do next year. So, what are your language goals for 2011?

For me:

Likely to do: Continue with the three languages (Spanish, German and French) that I'm already working on. I'd like to start using Skype to practice speaking and conversational skills, and I'd also like to meet people offline who study or speak these languages. I'll be adding a fourth language, Italian, at some point. I though I'd be ready for it by now, but other things have interfered. Still, it's soon to come!

Unlikely for this year, but I can hope: if health and financial resources allow, I want to travel to a location where I can use one or more of these target languages.

Also unlikely, but I'm researching it: I'd love to have a job that allows some use of foreign languages, perhaps with an international company, or even just as a local volunteer.

And at the end of 2011, I'll redo my learning plan with one or more new languages

How about you?

Edited by meramarina on 10 December 2010 at 3:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5610 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 95
10 December 2010 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Mine is to continue with French and Japanese. I will be going to Quebec in July. So, I
will have some more motivation for French.

I want to get to German. But, that will have to wait probably another year.

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5577 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin, Persian

Message 3 of 95
10 December 2010 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I'm thinking of participating in TAC 2011 with Swedish and Swahili, along with still studying my current languages.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5454 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 4 of 95
10 December 2010 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
Mine is to make realistic goals. Or stop being lazy and achieve the goals I set forth. My main goals for the end of 2010 and beginning of 2011 are improving output in both Korean and Japanese. Increase passive understanding in both a lot. For Japanese, (finally) finish learning the (new) Joyo kanji list. My main goal for the beginning of 2011 is to play video games in Japanese, and right now, I'm binging on Japanese vocabulary.

For the rest of 2011, that's really too far out there. I don't know if I'll be able to do my travel abroad in 2011. If so, South Korea is my preference, and if I can't go there, Japan is the close runner up. So, for either of those scenarios, basic conversation skills (mainly working on output and some input) would get me there if I have the ability to do my travel abroad in 2011. If not, I can do it in my last year of college.

As for other languages, probably not. I dabbled with Chinese, German, and Spanish for a week each. Until I hit a satisfactory level in both Korean and Japanese, I won't be starting another language.

Edited by The Real CZ on 10 December 2010 at 5:00am

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5390 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 5 of 95
10 December 2010 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
My goal and resolution for 2011 is to go from beginner to intermediate in Russian. As I
am already living in Russia, this is both realistic and achievable. I don't want to add
any other languages to the mix, I would simply like to maintain them. Spanish fluency
would be great though, but that's more like 2012...

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5947 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 95
10 December 2010 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
I am quite pleased with all that I've accomplished in 2010 and hope that 2011 will be just as good, if not better! Last year I wasn't very familiar with the CEFR levels, but I set goals of reaching advanced fluency in French and Portuguese and basic fluency in Greek, German, Italian, and Swedish, as well as a high-ish intermediate level in Japanese. I think I've probably achieved all of those, except not quite the basic fluency in Swedish and maybe not a "high enough" intermediate in Japanese. All the other languages you can see in my profile were unexpected surprises over the course of the year. I partially attribute my successes in 2010 to setting very lofty goals and working like crazy all year to achieve them, so I'll do the same now, although I won't bore you with all the details that I had last year. Here are just the approximate levels I hope to achieve by the end of 2011:

Spanish/Portuguese/French: Maintain C1-C2 level
Italian: Maintain B2, or maybe try to move up to C1 if I'm motivated
Greek: C1
German: C1
Dutch: B2
Swedish: B2
Romanian: B2
Esperanto: B2
Swahili: B2
Japanese: B1 (I'm probably already around there, but I don't foresee myself getting to B2 [ie, basic fluency] in the next year. Maybe 2012.)
Russian: B1
Persian: B1

Also, I hope that I don't bog myself down with even more language projects that I honestly don't have time for--keep wanderlust to a minimum!

If I can achieve most or all of these by the end of 2011, I'll be extremely pleased with myself, and will probably reward myself with some new foreign delicacy. I'm so excited!

Edited by ellasevia on 10 December 2010 at 6:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4920 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 7 of 95
10 December 2010 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Absolute beginner to basic fluency in Toki Pona and Esperanto! I'm not sure if it's reasonable, but Toki Pona is obviously easier than most languages, and from the little Esperanto I've had time to do while still in school, it seems to come very easily to me. I'll also be getting back into my German, hopefully pretty soon, but I'm definitely emphasizing Toki Pona and Esperanto until I'm fairly comfortable with them.

I'm graduating university this month (11 days until my last exam!), so 2011 will be my first ever year with no homework! I'm very excited. So, while there will be some big life changes (finding a permanent job, moving out of my parents' house in the spring), I'm still hoping I'll have a lot more time for language learning than I've ever had before.

Also, I should probably make it a goal to not let myself get distracted. Esperanto is the reason my German got put on hold, and Toki Pona just recently butted its way into my life. I will have to content myself with looking gleefully at all the audio courses at the library, and use them as motivation to get to an advanced level in my current languages faster, so I can add new ones.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5269 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 8 of 95
10 December 2010 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Just to keep ploughing through Georgian. My passive skills are getting better and better
but my speaking is still pretty disastrous. I was trying to explain the British school
system to my Georgian teacher last night and it must have been painful for her to hear
her beautiful and exotic language butchered so brutally.

I intend to visit Georgia once, and possibly twice, in 2011 and I want to be able to pull
off at the very least basic conversations in shops and restaurants. I also intend to
return from my travels laden with Georgian food, wine, books, magazines, DVDs, and any
Georgian Soviet kitsch I can possibly lay my hands on. It is OK to have "shopping" as a
goal for 2011 as long as the shopping is done in the target language, right?

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version