CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4944 days ago

72 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 74 of 95
28 December 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
My goals are as follows
Cantonese: achieve basic fluency (I'm a beginner right now)
French: reach a B1 (I haven't started French yet and I wont until my Cantonese greatly improves)
1 person has voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4883 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 75 of 95
28 December 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
My first one year goal concerning language learning. So I'm a bit unexperienced with long term planning. At first I planned to get from my solid A1 to B1 in Hebrew next year. But then I read that some users aim at a three-level progression, often vom 0 to B1. So I want to fully concentrate on Hebrew and see what is possible, maybe B2, which means passable or even more elaborated general reading/writing/listening skills.

I also plan to make some progress in Ancient Greek, which I studied occasionally in the past semesters at university. The plan here is to go ahead on the stony grammar based path and strengthen my reading skills. But to breath some life into learning Ancient Greek I will also go through a well written older introduction to it and perhaps some more related linguistic books. Oh, sorry, that is unfair! Learning this language alone can be enjoying and enlightening. Unfortunatly I expect some breaks in the learning process...

edit: mixed up something

Edited by Meelämmchen on 28 December 2010 at 4:30pm

Rodrigo Chaves
Hexaglot
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5232 days ago

12 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, English, Spanish, Italian, Catalan
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 76 of 95
29 December 2010 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Besides practicing the languages that I already speak (Spanish, English and Esperanto),
I hope to get a B2/C1 level in Catalan by March. I think it's not going to be so dificult since I already speak Spanish and Portuguese, I just have to practice Catalan, doing the same things that I did to learn Spanish, speak it and read a lot.
I also want to start studying German after getting a good level in Catalan. I bought an Assimil and I want to finish it within 3 months. So I'll have more 6 months 'till the end of 2011. I'll take 6 months of German at a language school (I already know where) and keep studying out of the class using other resource. On December/January (okay, I know that January isn't 2011 anymore) I'm planning to study German in Germany for 1 month.

bio_kid23
United States
Joined 4879 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 77 of 95
29 December 2010 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Keep at my French and Swedish to basic fluency :D and then top off Spanish. Knowing me, of course, I will have added another, weirder language in. I will allow for that as well, since I will have time to focus. Once I have reached basic proficiency, I can start Icelandic and Irish (or maybe Romanian, who know) while maintaining my other languages....

Lightning
Groupie
United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5138 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Studies: Japanese

Message 78 of 95
29 December 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
My goals for 2011:

Japanese - Hopefully be around B2 level in June as I'm currently stuck on B1. Feels like I've been B1 forever so I would really like to give it a good push and hopefully in 6-7 months time get onto more advanced Japanese. I want to be C1 by the end of 2011. I plan to do this by reading through a few novels (namely Haruki Murakami's work - I've read most of his work in English.), blast through as many movies as I can and try and arrange a Japanese tutor/conversation partner.

I've been playing around with Korean, Malay and Mandarin for a while but I've been so focused on Japanese I've been scared to start another language. Korean seems the obvious option but I've yet to study it seriously as I don't really think my heart is in it. I think by June I would like it if I've decided on a 3rd language and to reach about A2/B1 by the end of 2011.

I'm excited already! :D

Edited by Lightning on 29 December 2010 at 5:12pm

Raye
Diglot
United States
Joined 4954 days ago

37 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: DutchB1

Message 79 of 95
29 December 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm really hoping to reach B2 in Dutch in time to take an exam. But I've been procrastinating big time with TY Norwegian. Major self-deception going on. Maybe writing the B2 goal here will help me focus. I think I have to have a written action plan, too, for the whole goal-setting thing to work, huh? Sigh; New Year's Resolutions....   

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5026 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 80 of 95
30 December 2010 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
-Field testing of my technique and tool variants to optimize time devoted to language learning. If everything works as expected, write my own book on the subject :P
-See how much self-discipline I can maintain and how much I can learn in 6/9 months of optimized background learning (I have a somewhat time-needy life).

Target languages: German, Japanese, Russian

Techniques:
-Grammar books chomping, alongside with:
-Flash cards, on paper (digitally stored and generated as PDF via a home-brewed web tool) and mobile phone (via a home-brewed JAVA application). Manual review and distillation, no automated SRS. Applications will hopefully be ready to go public by the second week of 2011. Stay tuned.
-Selected input for intense study: read and watch as much 'authentic' material as possible, from a previous selection of things I'm really interested in: like, i.e. [re]read books and watch movies and series in my target languages.
-Automated vocabulary collecting from subtitles via a home-brewed web application.
-Conversation with native friends.

Initial proficiency (current as of 2010/12/30):
-German: what's left of a fake B1* proficiency level after 2 years of neglect (* = I passed my A2/B1 exam through intense study after 15 years of neglect, but felt like I didn't deserve to pass).
-Japanese: full command of the kanas, Pimsleur 3-level vocabulary, ~20 Kanjis.
-Russian: nearly full command of the alphabet + sound system, a handful of isolated words.
-My four main skills tend to stay at the same level in every language, with the usual difference between passive/active ones.

Initial materials (as in "already on my desktop"):
-German: (no available friends, "Sie Belieben Wohl Zu Scherzen, Mr. Feynman" (Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman), Futurama Seasons 1-4, more to come)
-Russian: (several friends, native-made vocabulary lists, no written/video materials yet)
-Japanese: (two friends, no written/video materials yet)

External assessment planned (if I see I can really study and get somewhere):
-German B2 certificate test in June.
-Japanese and Russian tests in June/September, whatever levels I'll place myself at by then.

Go! Go! Go! :)

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version