Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: German

Message 113 of 133
24 January 2012 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Very little German done since Thursday as I had a assignment to finish for a maths course I'm doing. Anyway it's
finally finished so as a treat this evening I watched a German film "Eden". It's a nice film and I managed to
understand snippets here and there.

1 person has voted this message useful

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 114 of 133
30 January 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
DE :
Skype Lesson 45 minutes
Michel Thomas German Course Listening (2 * 30 mins)
German Textbook Tagram Aktuell : Reading and Listening

Vocabulary

mit jdm per du sein
duzen
sondern

FR :
Skype 30 mins plus
Film : Sarah’s Key (French/English dialogue)

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 115 of 133
01 February 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Michel Thomas German Course (45 minutes listening)

I’m still not fully comfortable with the movement of the conjugated verb to the end of sentences containing a «
weil » clause but I’m slowly getting used to it.

I tried the Memrise site today. It might be useful for learning noun genders, plural forms and the spellings of
long words and words with accented characters - i.e. the aspects of vocabulary acquisition that I find most
difficult.

I figured out why I have a major block with the German word : die Frage. It’s because the Irish word “freagra” (die
Antwort).

I have my Skype lesson tomorrow. It's very grammar oriented and I have to really concentrate during the lesson.

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 116 of 133
02 February 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Michel Thomas German Course Listening (45 minutes)

Some vocabulary on the memrise site (working through the list of the 1000 most common German words)

Skype lesson (45 minutes)

Practiced linking the "Hauptsatz" and the "Nebensatz" using conjunctions like "dass"," obwohl","damit".

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5694 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 117 of 133
03 February 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Tournesol wrote:
I tried the Memrise site today. It might be useful for learning noun genders, plural forms and the spellings of
long words and words with accented characters - i.e. the aspects of vocabulary acquisition that I find most
difficult.

Maybe you have already been told to always learn German nouns with their genders. I really regret not paying as much attention to this as I should have.

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 118 of 133
04 February 2012 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:

Maybe you have already been told to always learn German nouns with their genders. I really regret not paying as
much attention to this as I should have.

Yes, as a learner, I am constantly reminded to learn the gender along with the noun so I have no excuses. I find it
almost as difficult to retain the gender as the word itself - maybe a daily drill with memrise will help my leaking
sieve of a memory. We'll see. Also, when using memrise, I occasionally get the word exactly right except for the
uppercase first letter.

Watched an Austrian film last night. Understood very little.

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 119 of 133
12 February 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Log Entry for the past week

Listening:

„Hörkurs Deutsch für Anfänger“. It’s at A1 level.
Michel Thomas German Course.

Vocabulary:

Daily practice of some words from the 1000 most frequent words in German list on the Memrise site.

German lesson:

Practised the dative endings. I don’t know all the endings off by heart yet. I was introduced to some verbs that
take a single object in the dative case like gehören and helfen. As I said before there is a strong emphasis on
grammar in the lesson but I do get speaking practice and my pronunciation is corrected.

Films:
A German comedy: Regular Guys
French film: Partir

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 120 of 133
20 February 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 

Daily drill of vocabulary from the 1000 most frequent German words on the Memrise site. This is the first time
I’ve used any type of vocabulary learning software. I think it’s useful at my level – i.e. at the early stages of
language learning. I’m on simple words – single German word – single English equivalent (at least that what it
tells me) Interestingly I find, that hearing nouns spoken aloud helps me retain the article.

I’m just hanging in there with the Skype lessons. It’s all grammar really with just enough vocabulary to support
the examples. My last lesson was on verbs that take a single object in the dative case. We looked at verbs like
gehorchen, gefallen, schaden, antworten. I can produce the example sentences when asked but at this rate it
won’t be long before I’m out of my depth. This doesn’t seem like <A1 level methinks !

A German film. Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (original title) – a chance to learn about a chapter of German
history.

I’m not reading any German or French at the moment. Given the choice, Jo Nesbo’s books– in English of course -
win outright. I did however pick up a second hand copy of La Princesse des glaces de Camilla Läckberg last week.

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version