Brazil
Joined 5707 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 129 of 133
18 March 2012 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
Tournesol wrote:
But maybe the fact that I mistakingly put a German word in the English title is some kind of a sign that I'm assimilating German albeit slowly :-)

I would say so :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4693 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 130 of 133
18 March 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
I really like your log!
You might already have figured these things out, but I'll write anyway:

Quote:
It would be useful to have more examples of (simple) words that differ only in the vowel sounds - [ʏ] and [ʏ:].
Here’s one example but more examples are most welcome.

I can only think of these four at the moment:
wusste (past tense of wissen) - wüsste (subjunctive of wissen) [here the vowels are short, the vowel in Wüste is longer]
wurde (past tense of werden) - würde (subjunctive form)
der Bruder (singular) - die Brüder (plural)
junger (from "jung" as in "ein junger Mann") - jünger (comparative of "jung")

Quote:
Another vowel that we don't have in English. [eː]

Some examples. Is this sound always written as 'ee' or are there other possibilities?

It's often written as a single "e", as in Feder, Leben, lesen, Wesen, Weg, etc.

Quote:
I've also seen some initial episodes of the TV series "Türkish für Anfänger". Seems interesting, but I would need, at least, German captioning to follow it.

You can watch it with English subtitles here, but there are no German captions (maybe just not yet). I really like how the series humorously portrays cultural stereotypes and the German ones are hilariously true. Every character gives quite a good insight into a subset of German mentalities.

Edited by druckfehler on 18 March 2012 at 8:11pm

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5186 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: German

Message 131 of 133
19 March 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Thank you Druckfehler for the pronunciation tips. I didn't know some of the words as I haven't looked at the
German subjunctive yet.

Thanks also for the link to "Türkish für Anfänger".This series was mentioned by Flarioca. I will watch an episode
and report back.

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5186 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: German

Message 132 of 133
24 March 2012 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
I watched an amazing film last night. I picked it up in the library without knowing anything about it and I was
spellbound. Nordwand

I’ve been looking around for songs in German so I can try to match the lyrics with the sounds. The tempo needs
to be slow or I won’t be able to pick out the words. I came across one of my all time favourite pieces from
Haydn’s Die Schöpfung with French translation.
Holde Gattin
Maybe some day I’ll be able to understand it in German but the fact that I only understand a word here and
there doesn’t detract from its appeal.

I watched just one episode of "Türkish für Anfänger". Maybe some of the humour is lost in translation but I didn’t
find it that funny. I might watch some more episodes anyway for the German listening practice and maybe I’ll like
it better.

I had 2 language Skypes calls this week – 1 French, 1 German. My spoken French has really disimproved. It
irritates me when I can’t think of words like “airline” and it’s less than a year since I passed the DALF c1 exam.
Hmm. I can keep a conversation flowing but I get these annoying holes in my vocabulary. I haven’t read any
French novels in a while so during the week I started La Princesse Des Glaces de Camilla Läckberg. As for the
German Skype lesson, we’re still on the prepositions that take the dative. Not very exciting but I guess I need the
building blocks for later.

During the week I heard the German "Auf Wiederhören" for ending phone conversations. I thought it was an
interesting turn of phrase compared to the English.

Edited by Tournesol on 24 March 2012 at 9:58pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5051 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 133 of 133
25 March 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Tournesol wrote:
During the week I heard the German "Auf Wiederhören" for ending phone conversations. I thought it was an
interesting turn of phrase compared to the English.

Because of that, when I actually interacted with other people in German, I coined 'auf wiederschreiben', and I always ended my letters/emails with it. It made my German friends laugh and comment that they hadn't thought about it and they always did the change from "sehen" to "hören" in auto-pilot mode :)

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version