Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: German

Message 121 of 133
04 March 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
A short update on my German progress.

I watched 2 German language Films: The German comedy - Goodbye Lenin - and an Austrian thriller - Revanche.
Very different films but I preferred the second one.

Finally got to the end of our list of verbs that take a single object in the dative case in my Skype class. I think we
are moving onto verbs that take one indirect and one direct object next.   Maybe the logic of the order of
presentation will become apparent later. The focus remains on grammar.

I'm keeping up the habit of vocabulary practice with memrise by working through 3 lists covering the most
frequent words in German.

Listening to „Hörkurs Deutsch für Anfänger“.
1 person has voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5694 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 122 of 133
05 March 2012 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
I've enjoyed Goodbye Lenin a lot and already saw it twice. However, this was before my come back to German. I'll see it again soon. I would say that it is more of a tragicomedy. Have you seen "Lola rennt" (Run Lola Run)?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 123 of 133
05 March 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:
Have you seen "Lola rennt" (Run Lola Run)?

It fringes on the artsy-fartsy category with the alternate storylines and all; otherwise it's more watchable than most other German films I've seen.

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 124 of 133
05 March 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:
I've enjoyed Goodbye Lenin a lot and already saw it twice. However, this was before my come
back to German. I'll see it again soon. I would say that it is more of a tragicomedy. Have you seen "Lola rennt" (Run
Lola Run)?

Goodbye Lenin has an original story line and is definitely worth seeing. I agree that it's not really a comedy. "Lola
rennt" is one of the few German language films I have seen but it was many years ago.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5694 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 125 of 133
06 March 2012 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
It fringes on the artsy-fartsy category with the alternate storylines and all; otherwise it's more watchable than most other German films I've seen.

Tournesol wrote:
Goodbye Lenin has an original story line and is definitely worth seeing. I agree that it's not really a comedy. "Lola
rennt" is one of the few German language films I have seen but it was many years ago.

I've enjoyed both films a lot. I've also seen some initial episodes of the TV series "Türkish für Anfänger". Seems interesting, but I would need, at least, German captioning to follow it. I'm planning to see "Budenbrooks" next, just need to find some 2h30m straight.

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 126 of 133
17 March 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
I saw a great film during the week - The White Ribbon. I really liked it for 2 reasons: - one because of the story
and second because the narration throughout meant that even those with a low level of German can match the
sounds to the subtitles. Highly recommended.

Listening: I've moved on to a Michel Thomas German vocabulary course. I've listened to one cd so far. I'd prefer
the listening material to be exclusively in German but at this level maybe I have to compromise.

I'm still doing a weekly Skype lesson with a native speaker. We've moved onto prepositions which take the dative.
Yikes, I think it's going to take a long time to get the hang of these. Felt I was getting to the point of information
overload during the last lesson: on von,auf,nach,zu...I think that if too much information is presented at the
same time my brain just rejects it.

I happened to watch a couple of episodes of the HBO series Curb Your Enthusiasm in French during the week.
That was pretty strange - not so much the French dialogue but getting used to the characters new French voices!

Happy Saint Patricks day. Some Irish music links:

Moving Hearts - Finore
Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin - Woodbrook

James Last - Irish Stew 1987

Edited by Tournesol on 17 March 2012 at 10:49pm

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5694 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 

Message 127 of 133
17 March 2012 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Tournesol wrote:
I saw a great film during the week - The White Band. I really liked it for 2 reasons: - one because of the story and
second because the narration throughout meant that even those with a low level of German can match the sounds
to the subtitles. Highly recommended.

Are you talking about this movie?

Tournesol
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5173 days ago

119 posts - 132 votes 

Message 128 of 133
17 March 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca wrote:
Tournesol wrote:
I saw a great film during the week - The White Band. I really liked it for 2
reasons: - one because of the story and
second because the narration throughout meant that even those with a low level of German can match the
sounds
to the subtitles. Highly recommended.

Are you talking about
[URL=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_wei%C3%9Fe_Band_%E2%80%93_Eine_deutsche_Kindergeschichte]this[/UR
L] movie?

Yes, my mistake. It is The White Ribbon which is the Das weiße Band. But maybe the fact that I mistakingly put a
German word in the English title is some kind of a sign that I'm assimilating German albeit slowly :-)

This discussion contains 133 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version