fstop
Canada
Joined 4835 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 9 of 56
24 February 2011 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
What do you think of the Tagalog (Filipino) language? Is it considered easy for a native English speaker to learn? Maybe you think it's dying because you're having a hard time finding a fluent Tagalog speaker in the US ; ) I think that most Filipinos born overseas doesn't speak fluent tagalog but those born in the Philippines are still ok.

Here's an interview by Dr. Arguelles with a Filipino. He is a bit nervous and he is not a native Tagalog speaker so some of his responses were not so accurate. He is also struggling in language switching probably due to nervousness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vow6-uwAw
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5140 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 10 of 56
26 February 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Raчraч Ŋuɲa wrote:
I am aware of this situation you're describing, but I think the problems are too
systemic/endemic to cure.

I would assume that most Filipinos you've talk to are US residents, or mostly those
you've meet have 'good enough' English that they have enough confidence to talk to you.
If they've grown up in USA, then they wouldn't be fluent in Filipino. Most Filipinos
don't value much their languages by passing it to the next generation.

If they were born in the Philippines, then there will be other complications:

1) Filipino is not the native language of the majority (70%+) of Filipinos in the
Philippines. Some of these people have great pride in their own native languages as
well, so would rather talk to you in English, or would mix their English with only a
few Filipino words that they know of if talking to someone who talks Tagalog. They
would not spend a great deal of effort learning Filipino, as that is nothing more than
Tagalog, which is being foisted on them.

2) The Tagalog of well-off urbanites, especially in Metro Manila, is heavily
Anglicized. This is because Filipino/Tagalog does not possess the technical vocabulary
that English has and the language commission has not come up with any equivalent
technical vocabulary. And this borrowing happens not just for technical words but also
for common everyday words, because English is the medium of instruction of almost all
schools, thus Filipinos have been trained to use English to express themselves
intellectually. Business is conducted in English. Books, movies, and laws are mostly in
English. They would only switch to Tagalog if the expression is an untranslatable
cultural artifact.

Most rich Filipinos have colonial mentality too and fixated with English. Most of the
these rich Filipinos would not use Filipino even if it has all those technical lexicon
because it is the language of the masses. They don't want to be like the masses. As one
beauty contestant put it, she only talks Tagalog with the maids. or chauffeurs. And
this mentality is trickling to the masses.

Also, the Philippines has the largest call-center industry in the world, bigger than
India, and these are mostly located in big cities and uses English. Being employed in
this industry is an "in" thing. Heaps of young people aspire to break into this
industry. And this industry continues to grow in double digits.

So you can see that the whole system makes English dominate the other native languages.
This is why Filipinos switches into English most of the time, because they are simply
unable or wouldn't want to speak straight Filipino.

3) Tagalog spoken outside of these areas and in the lower social strata gets less and
less English admixture the farther you move out. They can speak it correctly, but would
have limited vocabulary outside of what's commonly used in their daily life, say 5,000
more or less words?

What's the more likely future? I think Philippines will have another creole language.
It has a Spanish creole (Chavacano) and now it will have an English creole (Taglish).

How to stop this? Remove English from being an official language. That is unthinkable
though since Filipinos will suddenly find that they have neglected their own for far
too long, that they can't walk without those crutches. In one sense, the Philippines is
still an American colony. Too bad most Filipinos are oblivious to it.

Am I Filipino? Yes, but I strive to speak my native language as much as I can with as
little borrowing as I can, but sorry, it's not Tagalog. Can I speak Tagalog without
code-switching? No, but I can write Tagalog without code-switching, provided I have a
bilingual dictionary.

Very interesting. What can you or anyone else tell us about Tagalo and Filipino literature? A situation similar to what you describe exists in India, yet you can find fabulous literature in any of the mayor Indian languages. Would it be worth learning Tagalo for its literature or is the best or most of it written in Spanish and English?
1 person has voted this message useful

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5793 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 11 of 56
26 February 2011 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
The reality of the situation really hurts a country that has so many other attractive
attributes as a tourist destination. I have little enthusiasm for going to yet another
English speaking country. Very informative, though, to know that really nothing can be
done about it because there never really was a strong unifying universal national
language to begin with.

The thing that frightens me, for the sake of the youth over there, is -- will some of
these English-only situations make for a lost generation that has no native language at
all? I have a few Filipino friends on Facebook and occasionally see their status
updates get replies from family members and friends. And, honestly, given some of the
incomprehensible brain-pain-inducing constructions that appear in their messages, I
feel really bad if that is the language they have the best command over.

I guess there is a possibility that these incomprehensible constructs I have seen are
perfectly comprehensible in a Philippines dialect of English, but I'm guessing that is
not the case -- I have never read about the Philippines having its own English version
(like, say, Singlish).

Edited by parasitius on 26 February 2011 at 10:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5259 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 12 of 56
26 February 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
parasitius wrote:
The reality of the situation really hurts a country that has so many
other attractive attributes as a tourist destination. I have little enthusiasm for going
to yet another English speaking country.

I would say being "yet another English speaking country" is probably the best thing that
could happen to the Philippines in terms of business and tourism! You have to remember
that the vast majority of the world's population are not like the members of this forum
and, sad though it may be, care little for preserving unused and unwanted languages.

EDIT: I will actually be in the Philippines next week on vacation. Nothing cultural -
just lying on the beach on Boracay for a few days - but I'll keep my ears peeled for the
languages I hear being spoken among natives.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 26 February 2011 at 11:04pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5613 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 13 of 56
26 February 2011 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Very interesting. What can you or anyone else tell us about Tagalo and Filipino literature? A situation similar to what you describe exists in India, yet you can find fabulous literature in any of the mayor Indian languages. Would it be worth learning Tagalo for its literature or is the best or most of it written in Spanish and English?

I can't really answer this with confidence as I'm not a Lit major, or into much fiction. I did encounter in college some Filipino works so the following opinion is only from memory but I did googled them for accuracy. The more outstanding ones are mostly in foreign languages.

Spanish was the dominant literary language some years before the revolution and until the second world war, and include the writings of the national hero Jose Rizal which are in Spanish (Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo). I've read translations into Tagalog in college and I thought they were good. They were of revolution-type novels. There were more works in Spanish during the American occupation but not much are read, most likely because they're inaccessible (unstranslated yet from Spanish).

After WW2, English has dominated. Nick Joaquin, F Sionel Jose, NVM Gonzales and Jose Garcia Villa are the more popular ones, or at least I've read some of their works in college. I've read one of Sionel Jose's novels (The Pretenders) and I have a good impression of it, but I doubt if he will win a Nobel even if he was rumoured to have been nominated before and lost in 1999 by one vote to Gunter Grass according to this. That last link by the way is written in Taglish. And another link here in Taglish discussing why there is no Nobel awardee in Literature for a Filipino yet.

There were National Artists like Rolando Tinio and Amado Hernandez who wrote in Tagalog but I don't think I have read them yet. If you like movie scripts, you might like movies by Bernal, Brocka and others. There are quite a number of good movies but Himala by Brocka was voted Best Asian Film of all time in 2008. Apart from that, most of the local language literature were pre-Hispanic and prior to the Spanish revolution (epics, zarzuelas, and local forms of literature).

4 persons have voted this message useful

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5613 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 

Message 14 of 56
26 February 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
parasitius wrote:

The thing that frightens me, for the sake of the youth over there, is -- will some of
these English-only situations make for a lost generation that has no native language at all? I have a few Filipino friends on Facebook and occasionally see their status
updates get replies from family members and friends. And, honestly, given some of the
incomprehensible brain-pain-inducing constructions that appear in their messages, I
feel really bad if that is the language they have the best command over.

I guess there is a possibility that these incomprehensible constructs I have seen are
perfectly comprehensible in a Philippines dialect of English, but I'm guessing that is
not the case -- I have never read about the Philippines having its own English version
(like, say, Singlish).

That would be not just Taglish, but textspeak as well! plus, if your not Tagalog, mixed with other languages too. I would suppose they can speak/write without textspeak/textese if the situation calls for it. Remember that the oldest written document in the Philippines is also in mixed languages (Sanskrit, Old Malay, Old Javanese and Old Tagalog). People are used to the presence of a lot of languages.

There is a google entry on Philippine English, but this variety of English is not really that of the native English speakers, but 2nd language speakers although it does influences the 1st.

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5613 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 

Message 15 of 56
27 February 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:

I am really wondering how I am going to move forward in this language. It seems that
the advanced level of this language is basically English, so I am really wondering if
learning old tagalog (or even Filipino) vocab is a total waste of time apart from
reading literature, which I would like to do. As you said, intellectual concepts are
discussed in English. And suppose if someone wants to learn Filipino to speak
conversationally, should they be told that "there is no Filipino" and it's best to
learn "Taglish"? Just forget it and speak English?

I guess this sort of situation holds for many other "ish"s around the world, but this
case is different because Taglish is being perpetuated by the media, correct? Thus the
situation is different from say, Modern Standard Arabic which is being maintained
through official sources. I find the fact that politicians speak English in the
Philippines simply astounding.   

Is anyone else here in a predicament like this with any other language that is
devolving into a dialect of another?

I learned Tagalog at school plus movies and komiks. I think there could be room for
"Advanced Tagalog". In college, this is mostly about contemporary Tagalog prose and
poetry with opportunity to speak and write. It wouldn't be code switching, instead
Tagalog with heavy borrowings of technical terms from Spanish and English. According to
Panganiban, of the 30,000 rootwords, about 5,000 were from Spanish, 1,500 from English
(and growing), 3,200 from Malay, 1,500 Hookien Chinese and few hundred from Sanskrit,
Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Russian, etc. Here is an example of
advanced Tagalog Reader (I didn't
read it though). Unfortunately, this kind of Tagalog is almost never encountered
outside of class. The Tagalog you will hear are always peppered with English words even
for those with existing Tagalog counterparts. In other words, you are like a talking
book if you don't inject them with a lot of English, much like how Filipinos sound when
they talk in English. But you could find purer Tagalog outside of the cities and among
the masses.

I don't know how it would compare with advanced levels of, say, English, French,
Spanish, German, Russian.

Realisticaly speaking, I would agree with you that there is yet no Filipino language.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 27 February 2011 at 6:58am

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5845 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 16 of 56
27 February 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
It is a sad situation, and a very confusing one for a learner of a seemingly dying language. The language situation is changing so fast that dictionaries from two decades ago can't be trusted at all, and perhaps the concept of a even a concept of a dictionary of Filipino is a vague one.

So what is Filipino? What does it mean to be fluent in the language? Knowing a couple thousand words and then filling in the rest with English? What grammar can I use without sounding strange (people have commented that some of my grammar is bookish)? Obviously I must use loan words, but should I use the Spanish one or the English one? Are English phrases considered "Filipino" if everyone else uses them?

fstop wrote:
What do you think of the Tagalog (Filipino) language? Is it considered easy for a native English speaker to learn? Maybe you think it's dying because you're having a hard time finding a fluent Tagalog speaker in the US ; ) I think that most Filipinos born overseas doesn't speak fluent tagalog but those born in the Philippines are still ok.

Here's an interview by Dr. Arguelles with a Filipino. He is a bit nervous and he is not a native Tagalog speaker so some of his responses were not so accurate. He is also struggling in language switching probably due to nervousness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vow6-uwAw

If you read my post and others, various cultural reasons are mentioned why it is dying that don't have to do with "having a hard time finding a fluent Tagalog speaker".

As far as the difficultly, the grammar is quite difficult for an English speaker and is rated a Catagory 2 language by FSI (equivalent to Russian , Finnish, and many non European langs). But the question is really, "what is Tagalog?" If you mean Tagalog as it is normally spoken by Filipinos in the cities, on line, or abroad (as far as I know), then you really mean Taglish. And Taglish, even with the difficult grammar, is so watered down with English that if you learn a core 2,000 words or so and some simplified grammar, you're good; so it's obviously easier.

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version