Joined 5614 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 17 of 56
27 February 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
It is a sad situation, and a very confusing one for a learner of a
seemingly dying language. The language situation is changing so fast that dictionaries
from two decades ago can't be trusted at all, and perhaps the concept of a even a
concept of a dictionary of Filipino is a vague one.

You can still use those dictionaries, but you will sound dated or provincial at worst,
or a 'makata' (poet) at best. Also, the National Language Commission has published a
Filipino dictionary with words taken from the other local languages to "enrich"
Tagalog, but be careful with some of those words as their comprehension would be
uneven. People will give you a quizzical look. You would be lucky if there's an
etymological entry, even for the really good dictionaries.

irrationale wrote:

So what is Filipino? What does it mean to be fluent in the language? Knowing a couple
thousand words and then filling in the rest with English? What grammar can I use
without sounding strange (people have commented that some of my grammar is bookish)?
Obviously I must use loan words, but should I use the Spanish one or the English one?
Are English phrases considered "Filipino" if everyone else uses them?

You're spot on with filling the rest with borrowed words. If you use whole English
phrases and clauses, then you are code-switching and now talking Taglish. Filipinos are
aware that English phrases are not considered part of the Filipino language, even if
used by heaps of Filipinos simply because these are collocations learned by studying
English at school.

The choice of donor language for borrowing technical terms will determine if you're
speaking Taglish or Tagalog. You have to use English words for Taglish and Spanish
words for Tagalog, unless the Spanish equivalent haven't been borrowed there yet.

irrationale wrote:
As far as the difficultly, the grammar is quite difficult for
an English speaker and is rated a Catagory 2 language by FSI (equivalent to Russian ,
Finnish, and many non European langs). But the question is really, "what is Tagalog?"
If you mean Tagalog as it is normally spoken by Filipinos in the cities, on line, or
abroad (as far as I know), then you really mean Taglish. And Taglish, even with the
difficult grammar, is so watered down with English that if you learn a core 2,000 words
or so and some simplified grammar, you're good; so it's obviously easier.

You see, there are 2 Tagalog languages: the Taglish of the cities, on line and abroad,
and purer Tagalog outside of cities in Southern Luzon. Definitely, its easier to learn
Taglish since you can go by with 2,000 words plus simplified grammar. But real purer
Tagalog is harder, otherwise it wouldn't have that rating (more Malay-like rating?).
Earlier I mentioned it has 30 thousand base words, plus it has 700 affixes, VSO word
order, tenseless, weak noun-verb distinction, neither ergative nor accusative
alignment, topic marker, 3 kinds of passive sentences, and linguists are still debating
whether it has a subject, topic, pivot, or trigger. BUT impoverished lexicon in a
modern era. And that describes pretty much all the languages in the islands, including
my native language. Its not a pleasing sight to behold.

The best thing for you to do is spend some time in the islands and check out for
yourself the language situation. I know the language situation is not that bad but
choose wisely where you will stay. Nueva Ecija has Ilokano influence, Bulacan has a
funny accent (Kapampangan influence), Camarines Norte & Quezon have a lot of words and
syntax similar to Bikol language, and Mindoro, Batangas and especially Marinduque have
Bisayan language influences. The area surrounding Laguna lake is a good choice, as well
as Cavite and Bataan. Here is a
map showing where in the
Philippines Tagalog is spoken.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 27 February 2011 at 8:34am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5614 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 56
27 February 2011 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Ok, for those who want to read more Tagalog (not Taglish), try reading
Tagalog wikipedia. If there is any
grammar point or vocabulary that you want to ask, just start a thread and I will try to
explain (provided I have the time!)
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5260 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 19 of 56
09 March 2011 at 6:39am | IP Logged 
Just got back from my week-long vacation in the Philippines, and, well, I heard a whole
lot of Tagalog, so I guess it's safe to say the language is not heading for extinction
right at this very moment.

On the other hand, there were a lot of English phrases intermixed with the Tagalog,
much more than in any other language I have ever heard, and I found this very
interesting and weird. For example on the plane the announcements would run something
like:

"Tagalog Tagalog Tagalog fasten your seat belt sign Tagalog overhead lockers Tagalog
Tagalog mobile phones Tagalog electronic devices Tagalog Tagalog"

Since I am not involved directly with the language and culture, I can remain
emotionally neutral about this situation and just say how fascinating I found it, but
at the same time I can certainly understand those who are worried about the "take-over"
of Tagalog by English.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JFman00
Triglot
United States
Joined 5325 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 56
14 March 2011 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
My father grew up speaking Ilocano and Kapangpangan in addition to Tagalog but forgot
the first two from lack of use. He enjoys ridiculing Tagalog as a lexically poor
language. One of his favorite jokes is that Tagalog/Filipino's "true" term for chair
(normally silla, Spanish) is an expression meaning "catch the butt". My mother grew up
speaking Tagalog but even with old classmates from more than 50 years ago, she
regularly codeswitches into English for expressions that would sound downright absurd
if rendered only in Tagalog.

Efforts to excise Tagalog of its foreign etymologies would leave only a shell of a
language. For better or worse, the language mixing you hear *is* Tagalog. I would
hardly blame English, as, as other posters have noted, Tagalog vocabulary is drawn from
an extremely wide range of sources. I don't see many people bemoaning the death of
original English lexicon... Hwæt. We Gardena in gear-dagum, þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon...
3 persons have voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5846 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 21 of 56
15 March 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
JFman00 wrote:
My father grew up speaking Ilocano and Kapangpangan in addition to Tagalog but forgot
the first two from lack of use. He enjoys ridiculing Tagalog as a lexically poor
language. One of his favorite jokes is that Tagalog/Filipino's "true" term for chair
(normally silla, Spanish) is an expression meaning "catch the butt". My mother grew up
speaking Tagalog but even with old classmates from more than 50 years ago, she
regularly codeswitches into English for expressions that would sound downright absurd
if rendered only in Tagalog.

Efforts to excise Tagalog of its foreign etymologies would leave only a shell of a
language. For better or worse, the language mixing you hear *is* Tagalog. I would
hardly blame English, as, as other posters have noted, Tagalog vocabulary is drawn from
an extremely wide range of sources. I don't see many people bemoaning the death of
original English lexicon... Hwæt. We Gardena in gear-dagum, þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,

I said right in the beginning,

As a side note, I know that languages always change so the word "dying" is polemic. I realize that English is a combination of many other languages so I don't want to be lectured on that.

There is a difference between out right code switching, as well as cultural inferiority complex relating with the language (which you may have related in your post), and simply acquiring new vocab.
1 person has voted this message useful

gambi
New Zealand
Joined 4905 days ago

37 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: Indonesian, Burmese

Message 22 of 56
15 March 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
JFman00 wrote:

I think there is a difference between acquiring new vocabulary from another language and then adapting, blending and deriving it to fit the grammar and phonology (as is the case with English having borrowed thousands of words from French and Latin over the past millenium, and code-switching in which whole phrases and sentences from another language are simply spliced into a conversation (as in the case of Taglish).

So yea, comparing Old English to modern English is not really a good example. I mean, how often do you hear a native English speaker mixing whole phrases and sentences in Latin, Ancient Greek or Norman French in their speech in a typical conversation?
2 persons have voted this message useful

JFman00
Triglot
United States
Joined 5325 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 56
15 March 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
The example definitely was a little extreme but I still don't see what the loss is when
Tagalog speakers use other languages to fill gaps in their vocabulary. Tagalog often does
apply its morphology to foreign words "cute na-cute siya" or "John guma-gradwet".

I think there's something quite interesting and even beautiful to hear reports on TV
Patrol Zamboanga that switch often and effortlessly between Chavacano, Cebuano, Tagalog
and English.
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/tvpatrol/zamboanga

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 24 of 56
16 March 2011 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
I have to admit that I had once a high interest in the language, and I personally find the language very beautiful and exotic and I decided to learn it about 4 years ago. Since I had a few friends who were from the Phillippines I thought it would be worth giving it a shot.

However, as I came to know more and more about the language and saw that the Tagalog from the books was very different from the spoken Tagalog in the Philippines and the one used in the internet (the many English borrowings, etc), that all started demotivating me and I soon stopped learning it.

It's a pity that they destroy such a beautiful language by adding such a huge amount of foreign words, not just from English, but also Spanish, which in Tagalog definitely doesn't sound natural. But well, it's all heritage of being colonized, they'd have to change history in order to change that.

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version