Triglot
United States
Joined 4560 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 49 of 56
05 December 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
It's too bad that English was destroyed by that little unpleasantness with the Norman Invasion in 1066.

Everybody in England speaks French now :)

I just think that the linguistic situation in the Philippines is much more complicated and interesting than, "Tagalog is dying."

steve
6 persons have voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4283 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 50 of 56
08 December 2012 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:

I think that we are a long time from when most Filipnos will be unable to understand what's going on in the
soap opera, when the wife comes home and finds her husband with his girlfriend and yells, "Hayop! Layas!"   

steve

haha! Nice one Steve. LOL at the "Hayop! Layas!" part! It wouldn't have the same bite to it translated to
English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4283 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 

Message 51 of 56
08 December 2012 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
pansitkanton wrote:

Aside from huge lack of linguistic study in the Philippines, dialectology is also a
huge black hole in many of our languages. One very interesting area is how to reconcile
the differences (and similarities) between Dabawenyo, which many say is a different
language, Davao Cebuano, other Mindanao variants of Cebuano and Boholano, also
contended to have already split from Cebuano.

I have to agree with you 100% luckymepansitkanton ("luckyme" part is an inside joke for Filipinos or people
who've lived long enough in the Philippines). It's either there aren't enough studies on the differences
between the subdialects, or there isn't much too information on this subject matter readily available with a
google search. Is your Master's linguistics or social science related, by the way?

ArleneJoyce
Diglot
United States
Joined 4316 days ago

6 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Tagalog, Ancient Greek

Message 52 of 56
08 December 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
It's too bad that English was destroyed by that little unpleasantness with the Norman Invasion in 1066.

Everybody in England speaks French now :)

steve

How interesting you should say that! I have often thought, while living in Manila, that I was understanding experientially the language dynamics that occurred in England during the years following the Norman Invasaion. I began to wonder for the first time what had been lost, culturally, as the older forms of English were replaced by the heavily French-influenced Middle English. But it also helped me to realize that we are experiencing growth as well as loss as Tagalog/Filipino/Taglish sort themselves out.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 53 of 56
08 December 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
There are a LOT of Tagalog speakers here in Hawai'i. In the last 24 hours, for example, I've had a cool chat about Tagalog with a young native speaker in a cab, chatted with one of my students (also a fluent speaker, although a native Japanese girl), and walked by a large group of people of all ages doing aerobics outside in Tagalog just 10 minutes from where I live. So I can report that here the language seems to be alive and active in the community, and I look forward to picking up a few phrases myself too. :)

Edited by Teango on 08 December 2012 at 11:21pm

beanie
Australia
Joined 4559 days ago

35 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 54 of 56
11 January 2013 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
I am about to start learning Tagalog with some intent. I spend 50% of my time in Manila
and have been there 11 times during 2012.

I can say that I 'get by' with only speaking English. But who wants to just get by,
especially spending so much time in a place? Not me, which is why I am going to learn
the language.

Tagalog is very widely spoken everywhere I go, and I rarely leave Manila. Being able to
speak the language will remove numerous communication issues I face there. If you only
visit Manila and never leave the mall, then you probably won't notice. If you spend
most of your time outside the mall mixing with people you will soon learn that not
speaking the language means you are unable to fully participate in conversations
happening around you. My girlfriend frequently has to translate for me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ArleneJoyce
Diglot
United States
Joined 4316 days ago

6 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Tagalog, Ancient Greek

Message 55 of 56
11 January 2013 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
beanie wrote:
If you only
visit Manila and never leave the mall, then you probably won't notice. If you spend
most of your time outside the mall mixing with people you will soon learn that not
speaking the language means you are unable to fully participate in conversations
happening around you.

How true!!

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4283 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 

Message 56 of 56
02 February 2013 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I concur with beanie. You can really get by in the Philippines not knowing a word of Tagalog, but your
experienced staying in the Philippines can be enriched so much more by learning the language. Plus,
learning Tagalog will help you connect with the around ten million or so Filipino expatriates working and
residing overseas.

This discussion contains 56 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version